The Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Discussion

32 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

How many NCAA basketball D1 programs are there? - Maybe they should axe Loyola, IL and George Mason

College football? - We all know there are maybe 10 legit teams each season vying for the playoff and usually it's more like 5-6. So should every other program become D1-AA?

Maybe, just maybe....... the players really like the sport and maybe some of them also want to do everything they can to see how far they can go. The NHL teams with scouts and the scouting combine still make draft picks which are first round busts so trying to pinpoint someone's ability at 12, 14 and 16 while interesting is nearly impossible.

I think Logan Cooley is a prime example. He was always a great player he obviously has that extra drive and dedication which is probably just as important as anything else.

Same for Ty Voit, right? I mean...... he couldn't even make the 16U PPE team (wink, nod) that won Nationals but one of the 03's that did is playing where now? I'm know he wasn't drafted either and I just realized the Golden Child from Chicago wasn't drafted either.

Tier 1 teams buy ice. Rinks need ice sold to stay open. The game doesn't exist without the ice so let them play what and where they choose.

All good points, which reminds me of this past years March Madness where 15 seed St. Peter’s defeated two seed Kentucky……….

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

College football? - We all know there are maybe 10 legit teams each season vying for the playoff and usually it's more like 5-6. So should every other program become D1-AA?

Now you have come up with a great money making idea.  Let's get about 30 different "Championship" games together in various warm weather places and have everyone with a winning record from AAA play in one at the end of the year ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Now you have come up with a great money making idea.  Let's get about 30 different "Championship" games together in various warm weather places and have everyone with a winning record from AAA play in one at the end of the year ?

Why limit it to teams with a winning record?  Lets go one step further and let anyone in as long as they pay the entry fee!

• Like 2

During the argumentive process please keep this in mind - 16-18 (midget) the landscape has changed the past few years. The top kids are all gone to real juniors. The mid level kids are now falling for the tier 3 juniors garbage. 18U doesn’t have the quality of players as it did just 2-3 years ago. It’s starting to trickle down the 16U. 

my kids plays AAA (faux) hockey! 
Well my kid plays JUNIOR (faux) hockey!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

During the argumentive process please keep this in mind - 16-18 (midget) the landscape has changed the past few years. The top kids are all gone to real juniors. The mid level kids are now falling for the tier 3 juniors garbage. 18U doesn’t have the quality of players as it did just 2-3 years ago. It’s starting to trickle down the 16U. 

I feel like this one is easier though. Basically any junior hockey you are in a pay to play model is faux. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

18u also gets bleaker as more kids get jobs, dedicate to other sports, girlfriends, boyfriends, their own transportation etc. 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

For arguments sake maybe kids should just age out at 16!  No PAHL or any other recreational leagues. Only Tier 1 hockey. And only the top 30 programs in the country.  Why should anyone else waste their money?  (Oh I forgot maybe there are some kids who just really like to play the game at the highest level they can!)

• Like 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Yep back to my original point.  Don't pay to play juniors.  Play local and save a lot of cash.  

If someone wants the experience of playing juniors and is willing to pay why shouldn’t they? I know a couple of kids that did it for a year or two and then moved on to their life. I know kids that are willing to do it, and parents willing to pay for it, in order to earn a chance to play at higher levels of club hockey. Why does it bother you so much. I bet 95% of kids that play tier 3 are realistic about where it will take them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Yep back to my original point.  Don't pay to play juniors.  Play local and save a lot of cash.  

Unfortunately there are quite a few college club programs telling kids they need to go play juniors to make the team. For club hockey. ? Not all of them, there are plenty around here that don't. I wouldn't take a kid out of high school to end up in club hockey. And...I would pause a long time before spending 10 to 14 thousand per year to do it. 

And if you are a player top of the game in Tier Ii or a AAA high school program, I don't think that is necessarily true although they will tell you otherwise because they benefit from having older, more mature bodies for four years. They can walk on during a try out. Because...even though they are young, they are still more talented than the kid who wasn't top of the game coming out of pay to play juniors. But for anyone else dreaming of continuing to play in college, that is their route. If mom and dada are willing to foot that bill ... ?‍♂️

Look at the prior year roster. They usually list age and where they played, or you can find on elite prospects. Really good ACHA Diiv 1 teams are filled with older kids who played some sort of juniors or AAA. 

Be aware that to some extent you may be setting them behind their peers. Their friends will start getting real jobs, married, starting families. Your kid will still be messing around with hockey and school. Maybe having a hard time finding a girl because they aren't.aking money. Mentally that can be hard. All to extend a hockey career that won't go past college for club hockey....

• 100 1

12 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

If someone wants the experience of playing juniors and is willing to pay why shouldn’t they? I know a couple of kids that did it for a year or two and then moved on to their life. I know kids that are willing to do it, and parents willing to pay for it, in order to earn a chance to play at higher levels of club hockey. Why does it bother you so much. I bet 95% of kids that play tier 3 are realistic about where it will take them. 

The point of this board is to help educate each other about hockey especially people new to the sport.  Yes people can spend their money however they choose.  People on here just try to educate them so they don't unintentionally waste their money.

It is absolutely insane to play pay to play juniors to play ACHA hockey.  I repeat, it is insane to play pay to play juniors so you can play ACHA hockey.  ACHA hockey is like everywhere else, if you are good enough you will get a shot.  Not a bottom guy but a top player.  PLEASE do not waste your money in tier 3 juniors so you can move on to ACHA hockey. 

If you go to a college with an ACHA program contact them and play there if you are good enough.  If you are good enough they won't care what faux AAA team you played for or what tier 3 junior team you played for.  Club hockey is a fun experience.  The BS that you need to play tier 3 juniors is just that BS. 

If you would be a top one or two on the tier 3 junior team and still hoping to move on to a higher level (not ACHA club) then MAYBE take the gamble playing tier 3 understanding it will be very hard.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Carl Racki said:

The point of this board is to help educate each other about hockey especially people new to the sport.  Yes people can spend their money however they choose.  People on here just try to educate them so they don't unintentionally waste their money.

It is absolutely insane to play pay to play juniors to play ACHA hockey.  I repeat, it is insane to play pay to play juniors so you can play ACHA hockey.  ACHA hockey is like everywhere else, if you are good enough you will get a shot.  Not a bottom guy but a top player.  PLEASE do not waste your money in tier 3 juniors so you can move on to ACHA hockey. 

If you go to a college with an ACHA program contact them and play there if you are good enough.  If you are good enough they won't care what faux AAA team you played for or what tier 3 junior team you played for.  Club hockey is a fun experience.  The BS that you need to play tier 3 juniors is just that BS. 

If you would be a top one or two on the tier 3 junior team and still hoping to move on to a higher level (not ACHA club) then MAYBE take the gamble playing tier 3 understanding it will be very hard.

Why do programs tell kids to go play juniors, then? I agree with you that it is BS....but it is not BS in the sense that coaches ARE telling kids this. I think it is terrible.

1 hour ago, Carl Racki said:

Once again. Why do you care what others do with their time and money? And once again, there are plenty of kids that realize that tier 3 juniors isn’t going to lead to NCAA hockey, but they want to play and that is their opportunity. 

6 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Once again. Why do you care what others do with their time and money? And once again, there are plenty of kids that realize that tier 3 juniors isn’t going to lead to NCAA hockey, but they want to play and that is their opportunity. 

I don't care how people waste their money.  I just try to educate the ones that don't want to waste their money and are on here for that reason.

Telling people they have to play tier 3 juniors to play ACHA hockey is REALLY bad information and promoting uneducated people to waste money. I would love to know what local ACHA teams are telling kids to go play tier 3 juniors to be considered for the team????  Very bad information in my opinion.  

Personally I'd rather my son choose to play junior hockey at 18-20 years old and pay $15k/yr for it, take some online courses to figure out what field of study he wants to really pursue all while playing good hockey and making lifelong friends and memories, than make him decide what school he "needs" to go to straight out of high school that may or may not have a club hockey program he could play for all while paying $40k a year to the college, PLUS the club hockey dues only to find out a couple years in its not the right fit and have to start over or abandon it all together.

Every single player and family have different views on the right path.  Statements like the one below are so antiquated and out of touch with the reality of todays youth it makes me cringe.  People are waiting until their mid thirties before getting married and having kids now. Letting your kid play a couple years of junior hockey is not going to "set him behind his peers". 

"Be aware that to some extent you may be setting them behind their peers. Their friends will start getting real jobs, married, starting families. Your kid will still be messing around with hockey and school. Maybe having a hard time finding a girl because they aren't making money. Mentally that can be hard. All to extend a hockey career that won't go past college for club hockey...."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

You compleltly missed his point - those of us with aged out kids that have been through it, try to offer advice so others don’t get sucked into a money pit or have their expectations or dreams crushed. 

• 100 2

12 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

You compleltly missed his point - those of us with aged out kids that have been through it, try to offer advice so others don’t get sucked into a money pit or have their expectations or dreams crushed. 

I am doing the same thing, educating people. What I have had to say is also pertinent to this discussion. I have said what tier 3 is. It is an experience that could lead to higher levels of hockey. And it might not. 

Edited by Happy Hockey Fan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Carl Racki said:

I don't care how people waste their money.  I just try to educate the ones that don't want to waste their money and are on here for that reason.

Telling people they have to play tier 3 juniors to play ACHA hockey is REALLY bad information and promoting uneducated people to waste money. I would love to know what local ACHA teams are telling kids to go play tier 3 juniors to be considered for the team????  Very bad information in my opinion.  

I don't know, maybe it's the pandemic, they don't have spots or something. 

I was just reviewing the USHL tournament in Pittsburgh for the 16UAAA. Noticed there are 26 teams but no SHAHA anyone know why they are not included? I would assume the Pens would want revenge? Does PPE organize this or have any say in what teams are invited? At least the Barons are included.