The Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Discussion

On 9/23/2022 at 3:31 PM, Danner27 said:

Let’s clarify something since I’m so dumd. In the acha it’s not “D” it’s “M”. So everyone needs to stop with this acha d1 crap. It’s acha m1 - it’s m for men because it’s club, the ncaa wants no confusion. 

NCAA D3 - 75% of these schools you wouldn’t want to send your kid there for an education, let alone the enormous cost. There are no althetic scholarships, there are some merit scholarships available, it doesn’t amount to much. None of the kids qualify for financial aid. These kids only qualify for real academic success money. Look at Chattam - I would consider them better then half the ncaa D3 schools when it comes to eduction standings. They are middle of the road when it comes to hockey. They barely got past the IUP M1 team last year. I know 3 kids playing ncaa d3 hockey, nice kids & families, I’ll leave it at that. Look at buffalo state college - ncaa d3 hockey.  one of the better schools in this tier when it comes to education. When the ncaa eligibility is up, their players move to the club team while they are still finishing their degree. The club team doesn’t even play in acha, they play in the chf. At this point these ex ncaa d3 players are 23-24-25-26 years old playing against CHF teams with 18-21 year olds that played anything from A minor youth hockey up to tier 1. You would think the Buffalo kids would light up the lowly CHF ? Nope. 

as for the big acha M1 teams giving scholarships to get players - it was never a lot of money. A few thousand under merit - leadershio scholarships. Tack on out of state tuition and it really didn’t do much. Those days are also over. Lindenwood started this trend years and years ago. Thier entire conference started to do it to compete. Everyone complained about it. It all came to end right before covid. creative financial aid (this depend on the kids family income) or aid due to your kid having incredible test scores and great grades is all that’s available. these are also available to any student that qualifies.

We have friends playing for unlv, asu, Oklahoma & Adrian. I can ensure you none of these kids are receiving money to play club hockey. They do have some perks you won’t find around here such as Tutors while away, note takers in class like ncaa kids, free sticks etc. 

one of lindenwood’s better players a few years back is a family friend, he has since graduated. He came in at the end of the fake scholarship program. His family was still paying more than what any instate tuition would have been for them.  He left a ncaa d3 program for lindenwood M1 for multiple reasons. He was tired of being under the ncaa rules, it made it hard to get his school work done. The level of hockey at lindenwood along with the teams they played was superior. The acedmics were a joke at the ncaa d3 college he started at. 

This is why I hate this message board, people just say things randomly and believe they are always right.

If you look at Danner's first statement. "Let’s clarify something since I’m so dumd. In the acha it’s not “D” it’s “M”. So everyone needs to stop with this acha d1 crap. It’s acha m1 - it’s m for men because it’s club, the ncaa wants no confusion. ".

Well he says it. He is dumb (which he could not spell correctly). Go to the ACHA website. They call it ACHA Men's D1 (https://www.achahockey.org/) If you want to listen to anything else he ever says there are no facts. Just his opinions. He apparently knows someone who knows someone....

There are 84 current D3 teams, and most are not in this area, so you can't judge them all from Chatham (which apparently he could not even spell correctly either).

• Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, DieHardLeafs said:

This is why I hate this message board, people just say things randomly and believe they are always right.

If you look at Danner's first statement. "Let’s clarify something since I’m so dumd. In the acha it’s not “D” it’s “M”. So everyone needs to stop with this acha d1 crap. It’s acha m1 - it’s m for men because it’s club, the ncaa wants no confusion. ".

Well he says it. He is dumb (which he could not spell correctly). Go to the ACHA website. They call it ACHA Men's D1 (https://www.achahockey.org/) If you want to listen to anything else he ever says there are no facts. Just his opinions. He apparently knows someone who knows someone....

There are 84 current D3 teams, and most are not in this area, so you can't judge them all from Chatham (which apparently he could not even spell correctly either).

Assuming you will delete or edit your message when you realize you are completely wrong. 

07F7E732-B687-4722-BF76-0A47D6CEF919.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Assuming you will delete or edit your message when you realize you are completely wrong. 

07F7E732-B687-4722-BF76-0A47D6CEF919.jpeg

D1 = Division 1? or am I missing something?

From the ACHA website, if you looked at it vs actually taking a screen shot the first thing you saw. Please research and look at things before speaking.

(M2) MARY 8, Waldorf 2

On 9/25/2022 at 8:54 AM, Salsemotionalfriend said:

I’m not sure if this game was organized and scheduled by PPE or USHL but kudos for playing it at the Lemieux center.  Fun to watch. 

And kudos to them on the W in the game and event. 5-0 is impressive and it wasn't against any weaklings.

Maybe the new ownership group will be more Pittsburgh friendly and insist on them playing against more local teams on a regular basis such as the SHAHA 16U that just played them but this one was scheduled by the USHL folks.

I think everyone can agree that having two very good teams in Pittsburgh at any age group shows the progress being made here across the whole sport.

But I also second the motion that you are way too excited about the result to not have a "dogg" in the fight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

And kudos to them on the W in the game and event. 5-0 is impressive and it wasn't against any weaklings.

Maybe the new ownership group will be more Pittsburgh friendly and insist on them playing against more local teams on a regular basis such as the SHAHA 16U that just played them but this one was scheduled by the USHL folks.

I think everyone can agree that having two very good teams in Pittsburgh at any age group shows the progress being made here across the whole sport.

But I also second the motion that you are way too excited about the result to not have a "dogg" in the fight.

Not “way too excited” about the result.  My original post was in response to yours where you claimed:

I would also suggest that at the one younger age group where the parents of a lot of top players thumbed their noses at the "Elite", they are also getting their asses handed to themand that would be at the 08 age group. I would bet a LOT of dough that they won't be reaching out to play the 08 Vengeance team at any timeother than a forced matchup at MidAms.” 

This duplicitous crap that is spread around this message board, by adults mind you, reeks of jealousy and simplemindedness.  Thats why I originally posted and the dim witted responses are exactly what I expected.  

Oh and btw, if we are truly comparing apples to apples, PPE 08 is 4-1 against Vengeance 08 over the last few years.   

BoBo Out.  

1 hour ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

Not “way too excited” about the result.  My original post was in response to yours where you claimed:

I would also suggest that at the one younger age group where the parents of a lot of top players thumbed their noses at the "Elite", they are also getting their asses handed to themand that would be at the 08 age group. I would bet a LOT of dough that they won't be reaching out to play the 08 Vengeance team at any timeother than a forced matchup at MidAms.” 

This duplicitous crap that is spread around this message board, by adults mind you, reeks of jealousy and simplemindedness.  Thats why I originally posted and the dim witted responses are exactly what I expected.  

Oh and btw, if we are truly comparing apples to apples, PPE 08 is 4-1 against Vengeance 08 over the last few years.   

BoBo Out.  

For someone that claims to not have a dog in the fight or how to look up the PPE schedule from this season and last you sure pulled that 4-1 record out of your butt from over the last 5yrs???. You forgot how the Vengeance tied the PPE Black team in one of those seasons also. You must be an "Elite" parent and looking at their roster there are only about 6 kids remaining on the team that would have played in those games besides the one's that moved to the other side so it's would be pretty easy to guess which one you are???.

4 hours ago, Salsemotionalfriend said:

BoBo Out.  

LMAO, no dog in the fight, eh?  Clearly you’ve left out that the 08 rosters for both have changed quite a bit in that 4-1 record you tout.  I wasn’t going to bring this up, but since you're referring to rosters, the V is the only true Pitt based team.  PPE has kids from other states, including Canada.  Next year the few remaining Pitt kids will be replaced by even more imports, just like what’s gone on with the BY’s above them……so if you are one of the “originals”, hopefully your son can hang on to the dream.  

• 100 1

47 minutes ago, Big Earn said:

LMAO, no dog in the fight, eh?  Clearly you’ve left out that the 08 rosters for both have changed quite a bit in that 4-1 record you tout.  I wasn’t going to bring this up, but since you're referring to rosters, the V is the only true Pitt based team.  PPE has kids from other states, including Canada.  Next year the few remaining Pitt kids will be replaced by even more imports, just like what’s gone on with the BY’s above them……so if you are one of the “originals”, hopefully your son can hang on to the dream.  

Only 3 players consistently on the team from the beginning. 

It appears the bloom is clearly off of the rose for the Pens 06 team which is now 5-6 and got handled yesterday rather easily by NJ 5-1 in one of the many "consolation games" from the USHL tournament.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/team_info.php?y=2022&t=3895

In looking at their roster and seeing where the players are from, maybe they should change their 3rd alternate jersey from the current version pictured here to say the following:

FL

MI

AK

CA

NY

NS

ONT

PA 

FCFB4C4C-443A-44C1-909B-DB970A463248_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1
  • ROTF 1

Any pro pens stuff you’re reading here about the 08’s is either from an 08 pens parent or one of their employees. Obviously. I’m guessing Sal is a pens employee. They always give themselves away quickly__ just look for them to blame the parents in some capacity. It’s always someone else’s fault but theirs. 

Questioning the coach of the 08 vengeance is laughable. My child has never been coached by him__ I’ve simply had conversations with the guy, and have seen him in action enough to know his pedigree. I’ve had many conversations with Pens coaches__ some of which can’t even string a competent sentence together,  while others are just your dime a dozen slick talking salesman. A good one here and there. 

Gene seems to care about his players,  so if I’m an 08 V player__ I’m taking comfort in the fact that my coach is the best option in town, I’m actually being developed for long term success past amateur hockey, my home organization isn’t trying to exploit me of any expendable income I have, I don’t have to be in a cult by participating in excel,  I don’t have to worry about getting boned because my peers parents are hiring the directors son to come teach their kids hockey at their house,  I don’t have to worry about my development being so shitty that I may not get looks I would have otherwise got playing elsewhere,  I don’t have to pay 40k a year to play hockey,  my program isn’t actively looking to recruit players from everywhere but here for optics and money etc. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

On 9/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, HSFBLJ said:

what about the Cleveland Barons team that was supposed to be all world?  I think they already have a couple of L's already this season.  

Who said they were all world. The conversation has simply been that every 06 Pittsburgh kid is in Cleveland. Last year, that 06 Barons teams with all the Pittsburgh kids on it shit kicked the 06 Pens team with everywhere else’s kids on it. 

The pens aren’t proficient at what they claim to do. They play a tough schedule, secure those top 10 rankings regardless of win and losses,  then promote themselves as some powerhouse organization.

Their results with giving kid’s opportunities to develop don’t even match up to lower level orgs around the country. The director thinks he’s creating the Chicago Mission 2.0. He is a pioneer in one sense,  that he saw inflation coming for about six consecutive years now.  As the prices have rose steadily over those 6 years,  sometimes with 1k increment jumps to the next year. No more ice time, no additional training.  Cost of freezing ice in Cranberry is just higher I guess. 

All that’s being created though is a haven for rich parents whose kids are otherwise unhappy elsewhere. Or parents who want to be sucked off by a program, and feel the warm feelings and validation of being wanted and recruited__At the expense of local kids. 

As I mentioned in the last thread (linked in the first post)__ the business model is to rely on locals squirt - peewee.  Tell them everything they want to hear. Let them experience a soft ‘fucking’ in bantam minor.  Then drop the bomb when it’s time for excel.  We all know what you squirt and mite parents are thinking__ my kid is too good. Our team is too good.  Ironically,  no one has been more deep with local kids than the 06’s at the Pens. As of last year, 15o, they had what… 2 locals left on the team? 

Stop taking your mites there, stop taking your squirts there, if you’re still there in peewee’s start looking for alternatives in the next year. Or you will find out the hard way. Just like the rest of us whose kids were top notch, some of the best in the country, getting invited to all the exclusive spring teams, having the number 1-8 ranked team in country. 

If you can get two consecutive squirt birthyears to pull their head out of their ass (to no fault of their own; they’re new)__ but if you can educate these people on what they would avoid by going a different route early on__ you will get every birthyear to follow and that will be the end of this unfortunate period in Pittsburgh hockey.  It’s a win - win for parents. 

Take all of PPE’s customers (as they call them) and put them in Harmarville for a season. Take out of the equation the pens jersey, the glorified concession stand, and the rinks.  

What will happen is the 08 Vengeance at every birthyear. There’s some seriously talented players on that team,  your child,  Mr squirt Dad is not better than their best player.  So put your ego aside and get the crew rounded up.  Go play for Zeiler or someone down there.  Kids fucking love him.  Forget the pens elite car decals, nobody cares about those past age 12. What do you want more? Your (local) kid to have a shot at development or 4-5 years of Facebook photos in a Pens jersey? 

Any doubts? Again, look at 08’s. They’re getting invited to all the popularity contests they would have if they were at Pens. No kid on that team is missing a beat.  At probably less than half the cost of the cult, and almost certainly 1/4 the bullshit. 

Do you know what else they won’t do in Harmarville? They won’t force your squirt player to commit money to the team__ then not tell you if he’ll be on on the gold or black team until September. That whole process was created to undermine any other local programs attempt to get some of those squirt players away from Pens. 

There’s not a single legitimate reason why the squirt coach waits that long to create the team. Other than to serve PPE’s interests.  Thats your first red flag, but if you miss it, don’t worry many more coming. 

What are the results? Why is some team in Jersey who practices 3 nights a week putting kids into juniors and college > the Pens 24/7 cult buzzsaw? Just an example. Very interesting when you start to look at the Penguins Elite’s results in developing kids.  Columbus outperforming them heavily? Many such cases around the country,  Why? They’re on the ice more than anyone…

Why is the director now holding ‘excel’ camps in Sweden? Coincidentally there are now kids from Sweden at Pens. 

Mite/Squirt parents. When the phone call comes. Ignore it. Even if you’re at 66’rs now. Play the game, organize behind the scenes in those few years, then leave, don’t look back and change your numbers. If one of the Scientology members is still able to reach you,  tell them you don’t have any money.  They will leave you alone. 

Better yet, go have fun and play regular mite hockey with everyone else. Enjoy the local tournaments and that age in general. That’s one of the most special time frames in the process. Don’t let them take that from you as well___ even if your intentions are still to go the PPE route. 

Edited by ChiefKeef
  • Like 1
  • 100 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 9/25/2022 at 4:10 PM, Salsemotionalfriend said:

I’m not upset nor offended. Amused actually.  Saying something positive about PPE is akin to throwing chum into a fish tank filled with idiots.  Tappin’ out.  

Why do the Pens tell squirt parents they won’t name the teams until August/September? Yet they have to commit in April. 

I feel like you would know for some reason. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

3 hours ago, ChiefKeef said:

Why do the Pens tell squirt parents they won’t name the teams until August/September? Yet they have to commit in April. 

I feel like you would know for some reason. 

Let me start out by saying that I have no ill  will towards any of the players or parents on the 2013 pens elite teams. In fact my son is friends with and has played with the majority of them. Some seriously talented kids there, no question. We chose to not try out and to stay away from there as it is not the right fit for my son. To each their own.

To the point in the post above, It is 100% true. The 2013 BY teams were not picked until 9/15, yet they held tryouts in April and everyone had to commit financially then. I know the 2012-2013 birth years very well and let me tell you that the 2013 gold roster is full of parents who “played the game” over summer and went to all their extra camps and clinics, or are currently in the excel program, and the black roster is the kids who didn’t. These are verified facts. 

The political BS starts very early.

• Like 1

Yes. Not creating teams until September allows the Pens to hold kids hostage from going to other programs. It’s also to hold them hostage on a black team, because by Sept. they have no other options. It’s really fucked up__ and the fact that people don’t revolt right then and there is wild.  

The mite development league and 66’rs was created with the intent on sinking their hooks in early. I think they would even admit that. 

Unfortunately no one finds out until it’s too late that these guys just small fish in a smaller pond full of naive fish. I always have to hand it to them in some ways though, for as much grimy shit that goes on behind the scenes there,  they also do things right out in the open. They would have you think they’re shot callers in the youth hockey world. They aren’t. They don’t even know what they’re doing in a general sense. One year a coach tells you ‘that’s wrong’,  the next coach screams at you for not doing it ‘the wrong way’. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some good people involved there.  As I always say,  whatever good they try to do is always diminished by the overall narrative.

It is beyond cringey to see how parents tip toe around these guys with self preservation in mind. People outside of Pittsburgh think PPE is a joke, especially hockey people.  They create a tough schedule. That’s it.  Win a few, lose a few,  get that top 10 ranking and start cashing the checks. 

Thats how entitled this town, which isn’t a hockey town, has made that program. These guys would be chased out of a real hockey town,  within a year. Pittsburgh people just keep lining up,  because the high from driving around with that car decal is too good to pass up. Fuck the kids and their development. Give me that sweet sweet validation that my off-spring are a cut above the rest, everyone on I-79 will know it. Let me relish in the Facebook comments ‘he’s going to be playing with Sidney one day!!1!!1!’ … from my friends and family who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground regarding hockey. 

UPMC Lemeiux  is ground zero for the corporate mind who wants to buy or influence decisions when merit itself can’t get it done. They eat that shit up. If that’s you,  you’re a Pens Elite Family. Or as they would say, ‘Pens Elite material’. If you can write those checks, keep your mouth shut, and kiss the ring then they have a spot for you until they don’t need you anymore.  Even if your kid is the ‘best’ in PGH as all the squirt/peewee parents like to determine__ there’s still going to be promises made to outsiders once the time comes.  You’re bought in by then and they know you’re not going anywhere.  Take a seat and be quiet.  Trust the process hssssssssssss…

Edited by ChiefKeef

1 hour ago, ChiefKeef said:

Yes. Not creating teams until September allows the Pens to hold kids hostage from going to other programs. It’s also to hold them hostage on a black team, because by Sept. they have no other options. It’s really fucked up__ and the fact that people don’t revolt right then and there is wild.  

The mite development league and 66’rs was created with the intent on sinking their hooks in early. I think they would even admit that. 

Unfortunately no one finds out until it’s too late that these guys just small fish in a smaller pond full of naive fish. I always have to hand it to them in some ways though, for as much grimy shit that goes on behind the scenes there,  they also do things right out in the open. They would have you think they’re shot callers in the youth hockey world. They aren’t. They don’t even know what they’re doing in a general sense. One year a coach tells you ‘that’s wrong’,  the next coach screams at you for not doing it ‘the wrong way’. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some good people involved there.  As I always say,  whatever good they try to do is always diminished by the overall narrative.

It is beyond cringey to see how parents tip toe around these guys with self preservation in mind. People outside of Pittsburgh think PPE is a joke, especially hockey people.  They create a tough schedule. That’s it.  Win a few, lose a few,  get that top 10 ranking and start cashing the checks. 

Thats how entitled this town, which isn’t a hockey town, has made that program. These guys would be chased out of a real hockey town,  within a year. Pittsburgh people just keep lining up,  because the high from driving around with that car decal is too good to pass up. Fuck the kids and their development. Give me that sweet sweet validation that my off-spring are a cut above the rest, everyone on I-79 will know it. Let me relish in the Facebook comments ‘he’s going to be playing with Sidney one day!!1!!1!’ … from my friends and family who don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground regarding hockey. 

UPMC Lemeiux  is ground zero for the corporate mind who wants to buy or influence decisions when merit itself can’t get it done. They eat that shit up. If that’s you,  you’re a Pens Elite Family. Or as they would say, ‘Pens Elite material’. If you can write those checks, keep your mouth shut, and kiss the ring then they have a spot for you until they don’t need you anymore.  Even if your kid is the ‘best’ in PGH as all the squirt/peewee parents like to determine__ there’s still going to be promises made to outsiders once the time comes.  You’re bought in by then and they know you’re not going anywhere.  Take a seat and be quiet.  Trust the process hssssssssssss…

My only problem with the Vengeance is other than the 2008 birth year what teams are good??????   The 2009's are ok and it's down hill from there.  PS both Pens and Vengeance play the rankings games as do most of the faux AAA teams.  Just play highly ranked teams and stay a lot higher in the rankings than they really would be.

If you kid isn't a 2008 I am not sure the Vengeance is a great place either. There is no perfect place.  

I said the Vengeance probably have 1/4 the bullshit. Every program does.  If you ask the Pens guys about theirs, however, they make a sour puss face and point to Honeybaked, or Mid-Fairfield etc.  As if two wrongs make a right. The problem for the Pens is while other programs have their bullshit,  other programs also move way more kids along into junior and college programs.  The Pens just have a lot of bullshit with very little to show for it year over year__ and it’s not for a lack of talented kids, or a lack of ‘kids who are committed’ in Pittsburgh as one of their employees suggested. 

The parents decide who the best program is by taking the better players there. If these mite and squirt parents looked at the reality of the path through Cranberry, they may choose elsewhere thus making those teams good. 

Two birthyears… 14’s and 15’s… sack up and change the world. 13’s belong to the streets now. 

Yes, everyone does mind the rankings. However there’s minding the rankings and then there’s making it your whole identity as a program. The former does the latter. 

Edited by ChiefKeef

The rah rah as for the Vengeance was nice.

I have trouble respecting the Vengeance and their ilk because they take checks from kids who are not AA players. No credibility there. At least icemen and Esmark are straight up with parents about the season that they are about to embark on. Crow about the 08s all you want....the most talented of that lot will leave to get exposure, and then you get what you see at the older levels. Before the most talented left for Pens or Esmark. Now the Barron's are an option if you and the kid can handle cyber school and billeting. (Takes money and a mature kid to do that...tons of sacrifice.) They have to. If you aren't playing at the right tournaments, the people who can advance you aren't seeing you. You are already behind the eight ball because those eyes weren't watching you when you were 14

Case in point...midget Vengeance is peppered with North Pittsburgh kids that people observed shouldn't have been at Mid Ams last year.

I don't know how you hreak this stuff. Money, connections still play a heavy influence in the hockey world. Guess Black Bear will be the next model coming here to offer families a new dream, in exchange for their dollars.

It’s not a rah rah for the Vengeance. If all those local 08’s can play there, and have success, then no-one else’s kids are too good for that program. Granted, you need to have a portion of the higher end kids in your BY opting in to have it work. 

Why would they leave to get exposure? They’re getting invited to and doing everything all the peewee parents and bantam parents obsess over. Like the exclusive spring teams and CCM 68.  Not advocating for any of that stuff__ as opportunist parents and especially hockey dad coaches find ways to heavily taint those selection processes. However, for the time being, it’s the end all be all (kids and parents will learn that none of it matters) and the Vengeance kids are right there with other top kids in country. 

I’m not going to debate the Vengeance vs Esmark or whoever else. The Vengeance have either pulled it off or almost pulled it off with multiple birthyears, in regards to getting the high level players.  The Pens are terrified of them at the younger ages.  The worst possible scenario for the Penguins is people opting for Harmarville in squirts. It will start an irreversible trend, it almost did at one point. The people signing up for squirt hockey, are oddly enough, the only ones that can change this. The power balance lies with those parents. If the majority of the high end kids at that moment opt out of pens, then things will change.  The families who are already in Cranberry are a lost cause for the most part. Some will figure it out, most won’t. 

BUT … Whatever issues the Vengrance or anyone else have going on is small beans compared to what is going on in Cranberry.  If you, Mr. Esmark or iceman advocate, and some other egos around town had any sense__ or if you actually cared about local hockey__ minds would be gathered and figuring out ways to make something bigger and better available to all those 06’s, 07’s, and 08’s who had to leave Pens. Then soon to be 09’s, 10’s and 11’s. It’s the same story every year, yet everyone who could do something about it sits around and fiddles their thumbs,  pointing fingers back and forth from New Ken to Ice Castle. 

Who gives a shit about NP kids playing at Vengeance. What about the people who have to drive 2-3 hour to Cleveland or leave town altogether__ because the Pens fuck them all over.  Is that subject not deserving of being discussed as to possibly educate other parents on what they are getting involved with? The Vengeance attempting to do something about it is not celebratory? What the fuck is your preferred program doing about it? Painting the lobby walls every two years and expecting people to show up and show out? 

Is it even hard to justify to parents where they should put their time and resources? The proof is all there. Somebody make a slideshow and break it down.  You have X percent chance of having long term success in this sport (meaning anything after amateur hockey) after X amount of dollars spent at PPE based on PPE’s results for X amount of years. Then compare it to other programs around the country. People would lose their fucking minds. 

The hornets had kids moving on and sustaining it left and right. That was what, almost 10 years ago now?  The Pens bought out the hornets,  why haven’t they been able to keep up that momentum or anything even remotely resembling it?  Why do other hockey programs around the country with significantly less financial and time commitments, some in small cities with smaller overall talent pool__ why do these programs out perform a program who wants kids on the ice 4 hours a day, and in a gym two hours a day?  At a massive time and financial commitment from both kids and parents.  And why is there so much turn over on bantam and midget teams? Why do some teams have 0 Pittsburgh kids from their respective BY on them?  What does that say about the Pens development process? 

Why is all that money and time not producing what other programs produce at a fraction of the cost? They blame it on the kids and families, ala one of their coaches on here saying you need kids to be ‘committed to the lifestyle’. And how kids just don’t want to do it. As if going to a private school, and spending all day there and at a rink until 9pm isn’t enough of a commitment. 

Anyone who makes it out of that program and actually plays on the junior team, or fulfills the scholarship. Not just getting drafted or committing (as the pens lobby TV’s would have the naive parent believe), does it despite the Penguins. And they do it at a handicap because that program doesn’t have any kids best interest at heart. 

On the other hand, maybe the pro team is complicit in it and they like the money being generated (if applicable; I don’t know what money goes where, can’t speak to that end). Either way,  the parents have the option to not enable it,  and going off of recent history, probably give their kid a better path developmentally. Spend 1/4 the time and money in the process. 

Edited by ChiefKeef