The Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Discussion

• 3 weeks later...

Now, on to the bigger news of the day.

So apparently there are some serious issues within the girls program coaching ranks to the extent that if even half of what I was told is true, there's going to be a septic tank full of doo-doo.

Only what I was told, so maybe some of the super-sleuths on here can look into it further.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Now, on to the bigger news of the day.

So apparently there are some serious issues within the girls program coaching ranks to the extent that if even half of what I was told is true, there's going to be a septic tank full of doo-doo.

Only what I was told, so maybe some of the super-sleuths on here can look into it further.

Don't do that. If you don't know enough to post it, then don't post anything.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

What are you? The board police? Put it this way, what I was told is real bad. Until I hear multiple-source verification I'm not speculating. Hence the request here.

The track record of sweeping things under the rug is well-documented.

None of what is going on is that bad. You obviously aren’t in the know and none of us should take anything you have to say seriously. Go perform your witch hunt in that dad group text with the other mindless goobers.  You have no details to provide because you heard some fabricated story from another brainless parent. Cut this nonsense out immediately and get a life. 

18 hours ago, GreatDay4Hcky said:

None of what is going on is that bad. You obviously aren’t in the know and none of us should take anything you have to say seriously. Go perform your witch hunt in that dad group text with the other mindless goobers.  You have no details to provide because you heard some fabricated story from another brainless parent. Cut this nonsense out immediately and get a life. 

Sounds like you might ‘be in the know’. It seems like a couple of the coaches listed on the pens site for the girls teams were changed. I certainly wouldn’t expect you, or anyone in the know, to elaborate on a message board like this but good, bad or indifferent, seems like something went down. 

21 hours ago, GreatDay4Hcky said:

There they are. In their pristine hazmat suits, "The Clean-up Crew"

I know this much. The Coach(es) that are in question have already had a "timeout" and now they are off the website?

But remember, this from GD4H, a first time clean-up poster.

"None of what is going on is that bad. You obviously aren’t in the know and none of us should take anything you have to say seriously. "

Like I said, The track record of sweeping things under the rug is well-documented.

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Hmm, from looking at the website it appears that all the female coaches are gone!  Someone has to know the inside story!

There is still a female coach, same one for both 14 and 16U listed

14 minutes ago, BLC said:

There is still a female coach, same one for both 14 and 16U listed

Says she is the Team Manager. A lot different than a coach.   What happened to the Head Coach of both teams? Did she resign get forced out?  Both teams seem to be doing very well!  Very interesting!

• ROTF 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:59 AM, sadday4hockey said:

It's also crazy how many of the Coaches there are Head Coaches of more than one team. Not the most ideal situation for the players/paying customers?

Why do you think that? Just curious. By coaching multiple teams and doing other work for the organization, you get the coaches closer to a liveable wage. Don’t you think having a coach that is a full time coach, coaching multiple teams, versus one coach per team balancing other things in life could provide to be a good thing in some situations? I’m talking in generalities of course. 

No, not at all.

If you've coached, you know that one team is hard enough. When you double that, the attention to players gets cut in half. That's a simple math equation.

Are we really at the point where we think Coaching 10U hockey should be expected to pay a "livable wage"?

I'm not even sure that a USHL Coach makes that kind of dough.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/USHL-Coaching-Salary

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

Why do you think that? Just curious. By coaching multiple teams and doing other work for the organization, you get the coaches closer to a liveable wage. Don’t you think having a coach that is a full time coach, coaching multiple teams, versus one coach per team balancing other things in life could provide to be a good thing in some situations? I’m talking in generalities of course. 

They coach multiple teams most of the time because they are a parent or family member coach and are not allowed to be paid to coach family. With that they take on a team usually around the same age and have those teams travel together wherever they go so the coach is not spread out over weekends. The funny thing about that is that BOTH teams still have to pay a coaches fees for the coaches hotel and expenses so they make double money on their travel. 

1 hour ago, sadday4hockey said:

No, not at all.

If you've coached, you know that one team is hard enough. When you double that, the attention to players gets cut in half. That's a simple math equation.

I think you might be ignoring the numerator of the simple math equation, which was the heart of my question.

Assume a volunteer/working coach has his or her 2 hour evening to devote to coaching one team. That’s 2 hours per day /1 team or 2 hours per team. Compared to if you’re full time, spending 8 hours per day at the program. Assume 2 hours is program admin, and other 6 hours are for 2 teams. That’s 6 hours / 2 teams or 3 hours per team.

To your other point- ‘Are we really at the point where we think Coaching 10U hockey should be expected to pay a "livable wage"?’ I’m not expecting it, especially in a broad scale. But at top tier AAA programs, that’s what is happening. This is a thread about PPE, and it is happening there. The full time coaches there definitely have a livable wage. I wouldn’t have even brought this up if you his were about 10u In house. 

Edited by Jkersman01