The Pittsburgh Penguins Elite Discussion

20 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

They coach multiple teams most of the time because they are a parent or family member coach and are not allowed to be paid to coach family. With that they take on a team usually around the same age and have those teams travel together wherever they go so the coach is not spread out over weekends. The funny thing about that is that BOTH teams still have to pay a coaches fees for the coaches hotel and expenses so they make double money on their travel. 

I think you meant to say “Kathy Pippy makes double the money and gets double Marriott points on their travel”

19 hours ago, Jkersman01 said:

I think you might be ignoring the numerator of the simple math equation, which was the heart of my question.

Assume a volunteer/working coach has his or her 2 hour evening to devote to coaching one team. That’s 2 hours per day /1 team or 2 hours per team. Compared to if you’re full time, spending 8 hours per day at the program. Assume 2 hours is program admin, and other 6 hours are for 2 teams. That’s 6 hours / 2 teams or 3 hours per team.

To your other point- ‘Are we really at the point where we think Coaching 10U hockey should be expected to pay a "livable wage"?’ I’m not expecting it, especially in a broad scale. But at top tier AAA programs, that’s what is happening. This is a thread about PPE, and it is happening there. The full time coaches there definitely have a livable wage. I wouldn’t have even brought this up if you his were about 10u In house. 

They also sometimes have to worry about coaching back to back to back to back games during a showcase weekend, or even show up right as games start because of a previous game of the other team they are coaching.  SO professional. 

41 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

They also sometimes have to worry about coaching back to back to back to back games during a showcase weekend, or even show up right as games start because of a previous game of the other team they are coaching.  SO professional. 

That is kind of my concern too. It is more of the scheduling issue. I am sure they can plan home games and practices in a way that they can do both, and I'm sure that there are places that will accommodate them on the road, but that seems like a lot of things have to go well.

17 hours ago, Puck01 said:

PPE 06 beat Barons this weekend 3-0 & 4-2. Anyone seen the games a bit surprising Barons beat them last year 4 or 5 times to 0! 

The kid playing up a year is so creative and dangerous. He's able to elevate the whole team.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 5:28 PM, whatever said:

I posted this today under one of the other comments. This might be a good follow through to your comment. I’m sure I’m missing a few players.   A majority have Pens Elite in common whether it be a stepping stone or a longer stay :

There are quit a few local kids playing Div. 1 and Div. 3 hockey right now.  

NCAA Div. 1

Dalton Hunter – Hornets, Pens Elite, NAHL, USHL,  Mercyhurst

Austen Swankler - Pens Elite, Oakland Junior Grizzlies, USHL, Erie Otters, Bowling Green

Alex Savagno – Pens Elite, USHL, Penn State

Matthew Sutton – Pens Elite, Gilmour Academy, USHL, Brown University

Dominic Schimizzi – Pens Elite, Gilmour Academy, NAHL, Robert Morris

Christian Gorschak – Esmark, NAHL, Niagara

Brian Kramer – Pens Elite, NAHL, USHL, Robert Morris, AIC

Dustin Geragach –  Esmark, NAHL, Mercyhurst

NCAA Div. 3

Jackson Krock – Pens Elite, NCDC, NAHL, Hamilton

Jared Gerger – Predators, OJHL, NAHL, Lake Forest

Tyler Love – Pens Elite, Nahl, Robert Morris, Univ. of Wisconsin-Eau Claire

Dawson Sciarrino - Esmark, Pens Elite, NAHL, Steven's Point

Female:

Serena Slursarcyk – Pens Elite, Robert Morris

Kaitlyn Schooley - Pens Elite, Gilmour Academy, Robert Morris

Jordan Timmons – Esmark, Pens Elite, USHL, Robert Morris , LIU, Echl

Shawn O'Donnell- PPE, Dubuque Fighting Saints- UMass Lowell

Austin Oravitz- PPE, Green Bay Gamblers- Michigan State University

Carter Schade- PPE, Lincoln Stars, PSU

Jackson Morehouse- PPE, Omaha Lancers, BCHL, Dartmouth 

Coby Saganiuk- PPE, Erie Otters

Matthew Dimarsico- PPE, Green Bay Gamblers, PSU

There's a lot of kids from that 16U National Championship team that have moved on and are/will be playing D1 Hockey or top Junior hockey.  That doesn't include:

Dane Dowiak- PPE, Prep School, Tri-City Storm, PSU

Aidan Campbell-  PPE, OHL, BCHL, and possibly D1 next year

Just now, hockeyisgreat said:

OK, which Barons team we talking about?  If it's 06 I'm pretty sure there were at least 4 kids from PPE that played with them last year. Not sure about this year!  I think maybe 2 and a goalie!

While the goalie is from Pgh, he never played for PPE.  He was with North Pgh and Vengeance before heading to Cleveland.

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2022 at 10:04 AM, Danner27 said:

I should add - don’t let your kid pick a college based on the hockey program. College should be picked based on the fit for the kid, acedmics,  cost for your family etc. 

acha 1,2 & 3 are not all that much different once you get passed the top acha programs - none reside in western pa. There are good and bad teams in all the classes. 

Two teams in Western PA  becoming top ACHA programs are IUP (ranked 19th and 8-0 in the CHMA) and Pitt.  ( ranked 9th and 7-0-1 in the ESCHL)  So there are some programs that a

Just now, Law said:

Two teams in Western PA  becoming top ACHA programs are IUP (ranked 19th and 8-0 in the CHMA) and Pitt.  ( ranked 9th and 7-0-1 in the ESCHL)  So there are some programs that are trying to get better

1 hour ago, Law said:

Two teams in Western PA  becoming top ACHA programs are IUP (ranked 19th and 8-0 in the CHMA) and Pitt.  ( ranked 9th and 7-0-1 in the ESCHL)  So there are some programs that a

Im not really knocking those two schools, they have good programs but like every year - they won’t go anywhere at nationals. neither program has the players like a adrain, Ohio U etc. 

the point of my original comment, once you get past the top programs in all the classes there is not much difference between the classes. 

1 hour ago, Danner27 said:

Im not really knocking those two schools, they have good programs but like every year - they won’t go anywhere at nationals. neither program has the players like a adrain, Ohio U etc. 

the point of my original comment, once you get past the top programs in all the classes there is not much difference between the classes. 

I had a coach telle the difference is in time commitment. So like at RMU the lower in the leagues you go, less practices and games, and yeah, not much difference for skill.

• Like 2

Do yourselves a favor.  If you kid winds up playing ACHA, have them focus on grades first and hockey second.  Even the coaches will tell them that.  Club hockey is for fun, friends and exercise.  And a little bit of competition.  It will be done before they know it and the grades will taken them farther than hockey will. Just trying to give some serious advice 

• Like 3
  • 100 1

Feeling like getting back onto the original topic with some fresh chum.

Did the SHAHA 06 team beat Pens Elite again over the past weekend?  Short answer is yes and they are still ranked in the top 20.

Not bad for a lowly South Hills program with a roster of local kids.

• Like 4
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

SHAHA has one of if not The Best youth Coach in the whole District. Also, by far the most under-rated. He's tough but fair and any player who is willing to listen, learn and take constructive criticism will benefit from and love playing for him.

Yes and quite a few of those players have been with him since 10U.  Shows a great deal of loyalty both ways unlike the Pens & Esmark.  Will be interesting to see what he does when those kids age out!

I really wouldn't say he's underrated. The people who know the game definitely know that he's top notch.

He was pretty damn nuts back in the day when he was coaching older levels. But he has done an amazing job at reevaluating his approach over the years and found that sweet spot in the middle.

Edited by Icebucket
Typo

8 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

any player who is willing to listen, learn and take constructive criticism will benefit from

Exactly!! Some parents struggle with his approach because it's straight forward tough love. BUT, but...if a kid can let him guide you  - he'll get the best out of you. And a parent needs to let him coach.  My son now plays Div. 1, had him for 2 years as a coach and still says he's the best coach he ever had.