Let's list the players that have advanced to D1, D3, or Professional levels

I do not think this is against forum rules as all player would be adults and it should be public knowledge.

************I don't want to bash any of the orgs, just a simple list of players.***************

Let's start list of local players that have gone on to play NCAA D1, D3, or any level of Professional hockey. List Male or Female just to be fair. If you know their path out of Western PA list that also. I suspect that if some of us old timers can jog out memories the results might be a bit interesting.

Edited by GrumpyOldPucker
spelling and clarification

I guess I'm somewhat of an old timer, so I'll start with someone I played against...

Jamie Adams - played for Shaler in the late 80's and eventually various Pro Leagues including the ECHL and Pittsburgh Phantoms (RHI - Roller Hockey).  Played in the USHL prior to his Pro career.

Because I was late to ice hockey I didn’t really know about amateurs because I only played high school. Therefore I don’t know a lot about where these guys played amateur. I would like to know if others can provide more info. I have always wondered where some of the top players of my era played as youngsters. Another interesting thing about these players is only one of them played junior hockey before college. 

Mike Haggerty went to Canevin played at Div. 3 Brockport. Don’t know where he played amateur except his u18 year when he played for either Junior Pens or Hornets. It was the top team in Pgh. in 1984-85.

John Mooney, he played for TJ and then Serra Catholic. Don’t know where he played amateur. As we all know he went D1 and ECHL. Only one that played Juniors before college. 

Pete Shaffalo of USC played at D1 Notre Dame. DK where he played amateur.

Phil Shaffalo of USC played at Div. 3 St. Bonaventure. 

Tim Ford of USC played at Ferris State. Not sure what level they were then but were definitely NCAA. DK where he played Amateur.

Kevin McClung of Central Catholic played at Mercyhurst. Not sure what level but they were definitely NCAA. DK where he played amateur. 

RJ Umberger played a few seasons at Plum, then Ohio State, NHL

Sean Berkstresser played at Kiski, Hornets & Forge, RMU, ECHL

Zach Tatrn played for Burrell, Preds, OHL(Petes), Mostly SPHL after that, but a season at ECHL, USHL, NAHL each.

8 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Tim Ford of USC played at Ferris State. Not sure what level they were then but were definitely NCAA. DK where he played Amateur.

Did this guy play for Kittanning at all in the 90s? I remember playing against a  "Ford", I tried to hit him in the corner and got nothing but glass and he shelved my goalie.

Edited by LGP13

19 minutes ago, LGP13 said:

RJ Umberger played a few seasons at Plum, then Ohio State, NHL

Sean Berkstresser played at Kiski, Hornets & Forge, RMU, ECHL

Zach Tatrn played for Burrell, Preds, OHL(Petes), Mostly SPHL after that, but a season at ECHL, USHL, NAHL each.

Did this guy play for Kittanning at all in the 90s? I remember playing against a  "Ford", I tried to hit him in the corner and got nothing but glass and he shelved my goalie.

Jamie King 

State Championship Bethel Park teams from the early 2000s had a number of players...

Denis Kirstein - Mercyhurst, ECHL
Steve Preite - ECHL (Wheeling Nailers)

Lots of other NAHL players from that group and some that played professionally in Europe for a short while.

The Klasnick brothers. Dave who played at Denver and his brother Rob who played at St Cloud State. I’d be bothered if I didn’t also mention their father, Dave, who was on the USA hockey board for a while. What a great hockey family and great people. 

Edited by Jkersman01
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Fear 1
  • Poop 1
  • Dislike 2

I'm surprised anyone gave a thumbs down to the Klasnick family. 

Also from USC: Eric Meloche played here until maybe high school. Ryan Malone. Dylan Reese and Grant Lewis. 

The NAHL Pittsburgh Forge was only here for a couple of years, but a large part of their roster was from PGH and quite a few of them played NCAA hockey. Some who haven't been mentioned are Eric Trax, Mike Handza, Brian Hartman.

Matt Bartkowski played "faux AAA" for the predators with Ty Murovich and those two played high school with Shane Ferguson. Also from Mt Lebanon are Jeff Potter (currently coaching Youngstown I think), and the Kuqali brothers, Nicholas and Zander. Hank Horn from Lebo was a 3rd string goalie at Ohio State. 

Matt Humerich from Bethel Park was a 3rd string goalie at OSU as well and I believe Nick Lordi from Bethel played at Mercyhurst. Keith Stanich played for Wayne State. 

Joe Pelle from Beaver played at Princeton I think and Brad Fratteroli played at Western Michigan. 

Mike Betz and JB Bittner played at OSU at roughly the same time around 2002-05

Dee Rizzo played at Michigan State

Jim and Bob Black played D3 for some SUNY school I believe

That's just off the top of my head and these are mostly older guys. There were quite a few with birth years in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure there are a lot born in the 2000s as well but I am not as familiar with the names. 

• Like 1

Another name that jumps out from the late 80s is Dave Tench who played for Latrobe and went on to play D3 at SUNY-Geneseo. 

More recently, Travis Jeke started playing in Pittsburgh, went to Northwood, played D1 at Boston College, then spent time in the ECHL and SPHL.  He is currently an asst. coach at North Allegheny.

Bob Beers is somewhat credited of being the first Pittsburgher to play in the NHL. Grew up in Shaler but moved to Buffalo around 12 or 13.

Bill Thomas from Fox Chapel couple of NHL Teams

John Zeiler - TJ  to LA Kings and Phoenix I believe

Matt Bertani from Norwin was the video coach for the NY Islanders.

Couple of females

Lindsay Holdcroft of NA played at Dartmouth

Her cousin and sorry I couldn't remember her first name played at State College and played for the D1 Penn State team

SSA had Grant Scott who I believe was WPA's first NDTP from the area. Then Minnesota and I think UConn

Look at the Big3 hockey rosters bunch of guys Ty Murovich, Ryan Malone and Parker Milner are just a few.

Chuck Chiatto (Sp?) from NC was the first player from the area drafted in the NHL I belive but he was a Cranbrook Prep at the time and his roommate was either the Red Wings owner or GMs son. His NC teammate Tony Taylor went on to play Major Juniors in Canada.

Len Semplice was an assistant coach in the OHL. Still mind blowing because he was an American with really no hockey playing experience (No Junior DI, DIII or even club hockey).

8 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

Is this all  you got?  Did you write a freaking book on local hockey?   You must have more.

Buy  the book and see the top 50 in Pennsylvania State History  www.pahockey.net

Here's the list

http://pahockey.pahockey.net/organizations/4098/pages/166996

Top 50 Players who left their mark in High School Hockey via the Pennsylvania High School Hockey Championships

With 45 Years of History of the Pennsylvania High School Hockey Championships, as discussed there have been many great teams coached by very influential and terrific coaches. The championships have yielded some great performances and it’s the players who take the ice are the ones who decide the destiny of Champions.

In our exclusive list of the Top 50 who left their mark on the Pennsylvania High School Hockey Championships, we have players who have won Multiple Titles and Players who have provided Overtime Heroics or Hat Tricks or had a dominant performance who have salted their legacy in the Finals. Then we have players, who continued the careers in NCAA Hockey or Professionally as a confirmation of greatness and our fortune to have been able to enjoy their continued development in High School Hockey.

Please keep in mind that this list is exclusive to the Pennsylvania High School Championships and to be included the players team had to have participated in the Pennsylvania Finals. I want to be honest that I had plenty of help and this list will be debated as to who may be number 51 and was not included, but I will tell you that each and every player who made the cut deserved it and should be commended.

So it did not matter the school size or what level ….this list is a special group of Pennsylvania Champions spanning 45 years and if you dream for a moment would it not be great to see a great from the 1970’s challenged by a player from 1990’s or a goaltending great from 1980’s play against a stud forward from the 2000’s. That’s what makes this list of the Top 50 Pennsylvania Player special as All of these players contributed to the lore of the Pennsylvania Championships and I would like to congratulate them all!

Multiple Year State Champions ~ Players that won several state championships and led their teams offensively or defensively to the State Title 

• Jerry DiStefano led Monsignor Bonner to 3 consecutive Pennsylvania Finals in 1991, 1992 and 1993 and a State Championship in 1991 before moving on to Merrimack
  • Germantown Academy would reach the finals in 1991, 1993 and 1994 led by Rob Shaner who moved on to play at ACHA Power Penn State
  • Meadville was a dominant team in the 1990’s and led by Scott Phillis and Ryan Smart, who won four and three consecutive Pennsylvania Titles, respectively. Smart moved on to play at Cornell and was drafted in the NHL. 
  • Bishop McCort’s Brett Houston (3) and Kris Carlson (4) were the offensive leaders on the Crushers  run from 1994 through 1997 as the two players combined for multiple point games in ALL four State Finals.
  • Bethel Park’s Justin Glock won three consecutive State Championships from 2000-2002 and registered a hat trick in 2000 and the Overtime game winner in 2002

Multiple Year State Champions ~ Players that won several state championships and led their teams offensively or defensively to the State Title 

• John Brennan led Radnor to the State Finals in 2002 and was a dominant player in the final scoring once and setting up two others and younger brother Chris Brennan led the Raiders to three consecutive Finals winning in 2003 and 2004.
  • Bayard Rustin’s run of six straight Pennsylvania Titles produced three significant four time winners in Goaltender Jason Grande  and Matt Owens. Owens had a pair of hat tricks in 2016 and 2019 and an overtime game winner in 2017. Grande won all four years in between the pipes yielding just 4 goals in four years.
  • Downingtown East’s Luca Pisani was a two time State Champion and 3-time Finalist led the Cougars to championships in 2017 and 2018 

Overtime Heroics ~ Players that won state championships in overtime

• Baldwin’s Jim Cox wins it in overtime in 1975 over Churchill
  • Abington’s Captain Dennis Garvin provides GWG in OT over Gateway
  • West Chester’s Doug Bowman scores with 4 seconds to defeat Baldwin
  • Conwell Egan’s Brian Tetley scores in 3rd overtime to defeat Meadville
  • Bayard Rustin’s Matt Owens wins 4th straight in overtime beating Franklin Regional

Brick walls are Defensive and Goaltending Standouts who won it with defense

• Converted Forward Wes Waldschmidt leads North Allegheny in a stellar defensive effort over LaSalle in 2007. The Explorers would go to win in 2008 and 2009
  • Bayard Rustin stonewalls Mars in the 2009 Pennsylvania Final led by Eric Knodel
  • Bayard Rustin’s Jason Grande won all four years from 2014 to 2017 yielding just 4 goals in four games.

Hat Tricks in the State Championship

• In the 1983 and 1984 Pennsylvania Finals, Canevin’s Greg Timmons registered Hat Tricks
  • Chartiers Valley’s Tim Tracy notched four goals in the 1986 Final against Archbishop Wood
  • Roman Bussetti scored the hat trick to help Council Rock in its first State Title in 1991 against Armstrong
  • In the 1993 and 1994 Pennsylvania Finals, Greensburg CC’s Jeff Adams score four times to lead the Centaurians to State Titles
  • Quaker Valley standout Furman South scored four times in the 2006 Final to unseat 2005 champs Penncrest before moving on to NCAA Robert Morris and the NHL as a Referee
  • North Allegheny Senior Joe Griffin scored four times to help the Tigers defeat defending champs LaSalle in the 2013 State Final

The following are ~ Players that won the state championship and moved on to play Division 1 NCAA Hockey

• John Liprando led Gateway to the 1976 Pa State Final and registered a hat trick before moving on to Denver University
  • After winning the Pa Title in 1980, USC Defensive Stalwart Bobby Kennedy went on to play at Bowling Green and in AHL before coaching Bethel Park in 1997 and Pine Richland in 2007 to Titles
  • Scott Chamness  scored Four hat tricks in four games to lead Archbishop Carroll to the Flyers Cup in 1980 and Pennsylvania Title in 1981 for this St Lawrence University player
  • Malvern Prep’s Keith Grimley led Malvern Prep to their 1st State Title with a hat trick in 1990 and moved on to play at the University of Connecticut
  • Keith Stanich was a terrific Defenseman who led Bethel Park to their first state title in 1997 before moving on to NCAA Wayne State
  • Seton LaSalle’s Lou Garritan was a 50 Goal Scorer who led Rebels to State Title in 1998 and forged an NCAA Career at Bemedji State University
  • Malvern Prep’s Chris Lawrence was the leading scorer on the Flyers Cup Champion went on to play Michigan State and in a National Championship
  • Matt Clackson would win the Pennsylvania Title twice in 2002 and 2003 and move on to play in the NCAA at Western Michigan
  • The leading scorer for Holy Ghost Prep unfortunately ran into Peters Twp in the 2003 Final and Ryan Gunderson moved on to play at Vermont and represent USA in the Olympics
  • Rob Madore led Peters to Penguins Cups in 2004 and 2005 and the State Title in 2005 before heading to NCAA Vermont
  • Although Germantown Academy fell short of the State Finals in the 2006 Flyers Cup Final, Brian O'Neill was a dominant player who excelled at Yale and moved on to play in the Olympics
  • 2006 capped an undefeated season for Mt Lebanon and State Championship for  future OHL Standout Tyler Murovich  
  • As a Freshman, Colin South scored twice to lead Quaker Valley to the 2006 State Title before moving on to NCAA Robert Morris
  •  

• Billy Latta scored the hat trick in the State Final to give West Chester Henderson a State Title in 2007 and would move on to play at the University of Connecticut
  • Adam Berkle led a high powered LaSalle Explorer attack to a statement win over two time champions Pine Richland in 2008 and moved on to play at Bowling Green
  • Brian Christie was the leading scorer on Bayard Rustin, who led the Knights to their first State Title and then move on to the Merrimack 
  • Ricky DeRosa led the Cardinal O’Hara Lions to 2010 Final and was the key component in the overtime victory before moving on to play at Penn State
  • Nick Master was  3-time State Finalist led the LaSalle Explorers to championships in 2012 and moved on to play at University of Massachusetts - Lowell  and Andrew Romano  was a 4-time State Finalist led the LaSalle Explorers to championships in 2012 and moved on to play at University of Massachusetts - Lowell  
  • Dalton Hunter scored twice to lead Latrobe to their 4th Pennsylvania Title in 2013 and then moved on to NCAA Mercyhurst

The following are ~ Players that won the state championship and moved on to play in the National Hockey League 

• Germantown Academy would win their first state title in 1983 and Mike Ritcher would move on to University of Wisconsin and the New York Rangers and a Stanley Cup in 1994
  • Hat Trick in the 2000 State Final would a precursor for this 3-Time State Champ and a future in the National Hockey League for John Zeiler
  • 2002 would be the only State Title for this future Notre Dame and Toronto Maple Leafs standout  Christian Hanson 
  • 2006 capped an undefeated season for Mt Lebanon and State Championship for future NHLer Matt Bartkowski with Boston and Calgary
  • Brandon Saad did not have a memorable State Final in 2008 for Pine Richland as a Freshman but rebounded to play in the OHL and NHL with Chicago winning the Stanley Cup twice.

On 8/27/2022 at 5:59 AM, Pa Hockey said:

Buy  the book and see the top 50 in Pennsylvania State History  www.pahockey.net

Here's the list

http://pahockey.pahockey.net/organizations/4098/pages/166996

Top 50 Players who left their mark in High School Hockey via the Pennsylvania High School Hockey Championships

With 45 Years of History of the Pennsylvania High School Hockey Championships, as discussed there have been many great teams coached by very influential and terrific coaches. The championships have yielded some great performances and it’s the players who take the ice are the ones who decide the destiny of Champions.

In our exclusive list of the Top 50 who left their mark on the Pennsylvania High School Hockey Championships, we have players who have won Multiple Titles and Players who have provided Overtime Heroics or Hat Tricks or had a dominant performance who have salted their legacy in the Finals. Then we have players, who continued the careers in NCAA Hockey or Professionally as a confirmation of greatness and our fortune to have been able to enjoy their continued development in High School Hockey.

Please keep in mind that this list is exclusive to the Pennsylvania High School Championships and to be included the players team had to have participated in the Pennsylvania Finals. I want to be honest that I had plenty of help and this list will be debated as to who may be number 51 and was not included, but I will tell you that each and every player who made the cut deserved it and should be commended.

So it did not matter the school size or what level ….this list is a special group of Pennsylvania Champions spanning 45 years and if you dream for a moment would it not be great to see a great from the 1970’s challenged by a player from 1990’s or a goaltending great from 1980’s play against a stud forward from the 2000’s. That’s what makes this list of the Top 50 Pennsylvania Player special as All of these players contributed to the lore of the Pennsylvania Championships and I would like to congratulate them all!

• Jerry DiStefano led Monsignor Bonner to 3 consecutive Pennsylvania Finals in 1991, 1992 and 1993 and a State Championship in 1991 before moving on to Merrimack
  • Germantown Academy would reach the finals in 1991, 1993 and 1994 led by Rob Shaner who moved on to play at ACHA Power Penn State
  • Meadville was a dominant team in the 1990’s and led by Scott Phillis and Ryan Smart, who won four and three consecutive Pennsylvania Titles, respectively. Smart moved on to play at Cornell and was drafted in the NHL. 
  • Bishop McCort’s Brett Houston (3) and Kris Carlson (4) were the offensive leaders on the Crushers  run from 1994 through 1997 as the two players combined for multiple point games in ALL four State Finals.
  • Bethel Park’s Justin Glock won three consecutive State Championships from 2000-2002 and registered a hat trick in 2000 and the Overtime game winner in 2002

• John Brennan led Radnor to the State Finals in 2002 and was a dominant player in the final scoring once and setting up two others and younger brother Chris Brennan led the Raiders to three consecutive Finals winning in 2003 and 2004.
  • Bayard Rustin’s run of six straight Pennsylvania Titles produced three significant four time winners in Goaltender Jason Grande  and Matt Owens. Owens had a pair of hat tricks in 2016 and 2019 and an overtime game winner in 2017. Grande won all four years in between the pipes yielding just 4 goals in four years.
  • Downingtown East’s Luca Pisani was a two time State Champion and 3-time Finalist led the Cougars to championships in 2017 and 2018 

Overtime Heroics ~ Players that won state championships in overtime

• Baldwin’s Jim Cox wins it in overtime in 1975 over Churchill
  • Abington’s Captain Dennis Garvin provides GWG in OT over Gateway
  • West Chester’s Doug Bowman scores with 4 seconds to defeat Baldwin
  • Conwell Egan’s Brian Tetley scores in 3rd overtime to defeat Meadville
  • Bayard Rustin’s Matt Owens wins 4th straight in overtime beating Franklin Regional

Brick walls are Defensive and Goaltending Standouts who won it with defense

• Converted Forward Wes Waldschmidt leads North Allegheny in a stellar defensive effort over LaSalle in 2007. The Explorers would go to win in 2008 and 2009
  • Bayard Rustin stonewalls Mars in the 2009 Pennsylvania Final led by Eric Knodel
  • Bayard Rustin’s Jason Grande won all four years from 2014 to 2017 yielding just 4 goals in four games.

Hat Tricks in the State Championship

• In the 1983 and 1984 Pennsylvania Finals, Canevin’s Greg Timmons registered Hat Tricks
  • Chartiers Valley’s Tim Tracy notched four goals in the 1986 Final against Archbishop Wood
  • Roman Bussetti scored the hat trick to help Council Rock in its first State Title in 1991 against Armstrong
  • In the 1993 and 1994 Pennsylvania Finals, Greensburg CC’s Jeff Adams score four times to lead the Centaurians to State Titles
  • Quaker Valley standout Furman South scored four times in the 2006 Final to unseat 2005 champs Penncrest before moving on to NCAA Robert Morris and the NHL as a Referee
  • North Allegheny Senior Joe Griffin scored four times to help the Tigers defeat defending champs LaSalle in the 2013 State Final

The following are ~ Players that won the state championship and moved on to play Division 1 NCAA Hockey

• John Liprando led Gateway to the 1976 Pa State Final and registered a hat trick before moving on to Denver University
  • After winning the Pa Title in 1980, USC Defensive Stalwart Bobby Kennedy went on to play at Bowling Green and in AHL before coaching Bethel Park in 1997 and Pine Richland in 2007 to Titles
  • Scott Chamness  scored Four hat tricks in four games to lead Archbishop Carroll to the Flyers Cup in 1980 and Pennsylvania Title in 1981 for this St Lawrence University player
  • Malvern Prep’s Keith Grimley led Malvern Prep to their 1st State Title with a hat trick in 1990 and moved on to play at the University of Connecticut
  • Keith Stanich was a terrific Defenseman who led Bethel Park to their first state title in 1997 before moving on to NCAA Wayne State
  • Seton LaSalle’s Lou Garritan was a 50 Goal Scorer who led Rebels to State Title in 1998 and forged an NCAA Career at Bemedji State University
  • Malvern Prep’s Chris Lawrence was the leading scorer on the Flyers Cup Champion went on to play Michigan State and in a National Championship
  • Matt Clackson would win the Pennsylvania Title twice in 2002 and 2003 and move on to play in the NCAA at Western Michigan
  • The leading scorer for Holy Ghost Prep unfortunately ran into Peters Twp in the 2003 Final and Ryan Gunderson moved on to play at Vermont and represent USA in the Olympics
  • Rob Madore led Peters to Penguins Cups in 2004 and 2005 and the State Title in 2005 before heading to NCAA Vermont
  • Although Germantown Academy fell short of the State Finals in the 2006 Flyers Cup Final, Brian O'Neill was a dominant player who excelled at Yale and moved on to play in the Olympics
  • 2006 capped an undefeated season for Mt Lebanon and State Championship for  future OHL Standout Tyler Murovich  
  • As a Freshman, Colin South scored twice to lead Quaker Valley to the 2006 State Title before moving on to NCAA Robert Morris
  •  

• Billy Latta scored the hat trick in the State Final to give West Chester Henderson a State Title in 2007 and would move on to play at the University of Connecticut
  • Adam Berkle led a high powered LaSalle Explorer attack to a statement win over two time champions Pine Richland in 2008 and moved on to play at Bowling Green
  • Brian Christie was the leading scorer on Bayard Rustin, who led the Knights to their first State Title and then move on to the Merrimack 
  • Ricky DeRosa led the Cardinal O’Hara Lions to 2010 Final and was the key component in the overtime victory before moving on to play at Penn State
  • Nick Master was  3-time State Finalist led the LaSalle Explorers to championships in 2012 and moved on to play at University of Massachusetts - Lowell  and Andrew Romano  was a 4-time State Finalist led the LaSalle Explorers to championships in 2012 and moved on to play at University of Massachusetts - Lowell  
  • Dalton Hunter scored twice to lead Latrobe to their 4th Pennsylvania Title in 2013 and then moved on to NCAA Mercyhurst

The following are ~ Players that won the state championship and moved on to play in the National Hockey League 

• Germantown Academy would win their first state title in 1983 and Mike Ritcher would move on to University of Wisconsin and the New York Rangers and a Stanley Cup in 1994
  • Hat Trick in the 2000 State Final would a precursor for this 3-Time State Champ and a future in the National Hockey League for John Zeiler
  • 2002 would be the only State Title for this future Notre Dame and Toronto Maple Leafs standout  Christian Hanson 
  • 2006 capped an undefeated season for Mt Lebanon and State Championship for future NHLer Matt Bartkowski with Boston and Calgary
  • Brandon Saad did not have a memorable State Final in 2008 for Pine Richland as a Freshman but rebounded to play in the OHL and NHL with Chicago winning the Stanley Cup twice.

Scott Chamness graduated in 1980.   He was not on the State Championship team in 1981.