Alpha Ice livebarn

Old topic but same issue.  A lot of preseason scrimmages are locked down on livebarn, same behavior as previous years.  Its one thing to block out a practice or inter-squad scrimmage, but locking down the ice for inter-org preseason scrimmages is a bit excessive.  The scores all get posted on my hockey rankings so everyone knows the results, just allow us to watch our kids play from remote. 

I think it's typically off by default.  A few times I've gone into the front office and asked that it be turned on for a scrimmage or game and it wasn't ever an issue.  I think it just takes someone from one of the teams that are playing to make sure it's on.

I don't think it's intentional, what TeamRamRod said. A few times last year, if the rink was inactive for a while, I would be at home and would text our team manager to  ask someone to get it going.

Seems more productive to ask the rink to turn it on than to complain here. 

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

I don't think it's intentional, what TeamRamRod said. A few times last year, if the rink was inactive for a while, I would be at home and would text our team manager to  ask someone to get it going.

Seems more productive to ask the rink to turn it on than to complain here. 

Tried that last year to watch practice and got nowhere!  Besides it's much more fun to complain here.  Feels like more people are listening than at Alpha!  First I heard it was the Vengenance but now I'm not so sure as it seems like they don't have much to hide!

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Tried that last year to watch practice and got nowhere!  Besides it's much more fun to complain here.  Feels like more people are listening than at Alpha!  First I heard it was the Vengenance but now I'm not so sure as it seems like they don't have much to hide!

It's mostly because of the colleges that play/practice there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Livebarn contracts with the rinks themselves. Not the teams that play in the building.

Well, that's entirely true. But the teams that play there can request that the LiveBarn cameras be shut off during their practices, and often do. Many high school varsity teams in the region have them shut off during their practices, as do several of the independent and "higher" teams.

Honestly it's not uncommon at all to log into LiveBarn and find that Alpha, in particular, is still blacked out. Since the LiveBarn timeslots start more or less at the top of the hour, when game slots do not align with the top of the hour the same way, it's not uncommon to find that part of a game is blocked because the previous hour was a practice that had the cameras shut off. I know that I have seen that happen at Alpha, and then parents from the team asked Alpha to turn the cameras on for the game and they did turn them on.

That may be the answer to @hockeyisgreat's question above, too. Either the slot is often used by one of these teams, or maybe it's used on off days and the rink just shut the slot off across the board, or possibly you happen to overlap with a practice that was shut off.

Edited by Lifelongbender
typo

On 8/31/2022 at 3:27 PM, hockeyisgreat said:

Maybe I'm a grandfather who likes to watch his grandkids having fun at practice!

Can we let children practice without having to watch their every move? Nothing is more absurd then adult men needing to sit in a cold rink analyzing their 8 years hockey practice or watching practice on live barn 

Edited by Sticktime56
  • Like 1

Just now, Sticktime56 said:

Can we let children practice without having to watch thier every move? Nothing is more absurd then adult men needing to sit in a cold rink analyzing thier 8 years hockey practice!!!!! Or watching on live barn 

Can we enjoy the limited time we have with our grandkids?  I enjoy watching mine having fun!  They have never heard a negative word from me?  They ask if I watched them at practice and games!  Besides I would have no clue what to analyze in their practice! So a grandparent who can't get to the rink shouldn't watch them?  Tell me why again!  Not everyone berates and belittles their kids!  You must have a guilty conscience!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Can we enjoy the limited time we have with our grandkids?  I enjoy watching mine having fun!  They have never heard a negative word from me?  They ask if I watched them at practice and games!  Besides I would have no clue what to analyze in their practice! So a grandparent who can't get to the rink shouldn't watch them?  Tell me why again!  Not everyone berates and belittles their kids!  You must have a guilty conscience!

Watching games on live barn is understandable but watching practices seems excessive and unnecessary. I don't belittle any of my kids but also give them space to practice without me hovering over them. I have an 8 year old and a 15 years old and I can say I let practice be their time but I watch all games and support. 

Edited by Sticktime56

13 minutes ago, Sticktime56 said:

Watching games on live barn is understandable but watching practices seems excessive and unnecessary. I don't belittle any of my kids but also give them space to practice without me hovering over them. I have an 8 year old and a 15 years old and I can say I let practice be their time but I watch all games and support. 

I don't know enough about the sport to hover over them or critique their play! I pay monthly to live barn to use their service!  Got to  watch 11 penguins on the Ice yesterday just having fun! Just watched Baldwin and Mt Lebo go to the shootout.  I get my moneys worth and it was annoying when Alpha locked it.  Better to not have it than lock it!  Yeah it might be excessive and unnecessary but it's neat when they ask if I watched their goal in practice and I can say yes it was sweet!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I don't know enough about the sport to hover over them or critique their play! I pay monthly to live barn to use their service!  Got to  watch 11 penguins on the Ice yesterday just having fun! Just watched Baldwin and Mt Lebo go to the shootout.  I get my moneys worth and it was annoying when Alpha locked it.  Better to not have it than lock it!  Yeah it might be excessive and unnecessary but it's neat when they ask if I watched their goal in practice and I can say yes it was sweet!

I get it and not being critical of you. Glad you can enjoy your grandchildren but not all people use live barn for the joy of watching. 

Edited by Sticktime56
  • Like 1

I make my 9 year old rewatch every single practice and tell me exactly why he messed up the drill or missed the shot. Then he does 100 pushups for every mistake he makes. He will thank me when he’s in the NHL in nine years. Couldn’t do it without livebarn!

• Haha 1
  • ROTF 4
  • Epic 2
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, forbin said:

I make my 9 year old rewatch every single practice and tell me exactly why he messed up the drill or missed the shot. Then he does 100 pushups for every mistake he makes. He will thank me when he’s in the NHL in nine years. Couldn’t do it without livebarn!

Why did you wait till he was 9?  You are behind the curve the Lil 66ers parents started that at 6 years old.  Never going to make it to the NHL with that late of a start!

• ROTF 2

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Why did you wait till he was 9?  You are behind the curve the Lil 66ers parents started that at 6 years old.  Never going to make it to the NHL with that late of a start!

Those parents aren't even aiming for the NHL. They just want to pay thousands of dollars to get their butts kicked in the Brick tournament in a couple years ?

• 100 1