Pens Elite Black Eliminated? 40 Gold Buckets??

I’m hearing a weird rumor at various Tryout Tuneups that the Pens Elite is eliminating the Black Team?  That they are looking to take 35-40 kids and have a floating roster?  Kids moving up and down based upon how they’re playing?  Heard there was a parent meeting with existing PPE parents discussing how this would work for 2019-20 season?

Anyone have insight on this, or is this just wild hockey parent talk?

That is the current rumor.  Seems to make sense take the best 40 kids and let the talent come to the surface over the summer.  Hard to pick a team with 4-5 sessions.  I did hear from a PPE parent that everyone get the gold helmet this year.  If you look at the older BY teams its hard to argue the results.  Best game in town if you have the financial means.

AA hockey at AAA pricing was starting to make the black teams a hard sell I think. Do they tell the parents where the kid is starting? I think it is a better model, but if people are there to play elite....there is still two teams and a gamble. Interesting.

sounds like another attempt to secure their pockets.. i know most are not happy with the black program from rumors floating around, and a lot of people are not going to accept the position if they are on black, so this just sounds like another way to drag them back in at the "chance" your kid will make the show... but again, if ya got the cash and want the best, i guess there are things ya gotta swallow.  There are good and bad this model if they choose this route, as there are in any..

Each birthyear looks like they posted 2 teams and i would guess you can tell "team a" from "team b" by the coaches they just didn't list them black and gold. Why is there just one giant team for the 2010s with no coach?  That's the one that threw me. 

Edited by aaaahockey
Changed team to birthyear to make the comment clearer

My understanding is that there were large numbers for that tryout due to the 8U "Elite" program they started last year.  They are going to practice through the summer and then divide the teams up.  They wanted more time to see that group of kids.

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Ihearthockey said:

Any truth to the rumor that PPE is bringing back black teams up through Bantam?

This would be surprising, given the state of the environment and that hockey is one of the most expensive sports...  but never underestimate the pens attempts to mess up youth hockey.

6 hours ago, Wes said:

This would be surprising, given the state of the environment and that hockey is one of the most expensive sports...  but never underestimate the pens attempts to mess up youth hockey.

Surprising why? That's a bunch of people they can charge.

There are more than enough teams out there that think they are better than AA that Pens can steal from. It gets even easier when those teams under achieve and break up. Not many accept it and go back where they came from. They are looking for the next best thing. Ripe for the picking!

• Like 2

wwelll the OG PPE Black teams former payers are all u16AAA or above now so they can't warn the younger generation of the fleecing it really is. Not to mention this is their last push before SID retires from the NHL. The numbers don't like look at the increase when Lemieux and pens won cup hockey took off. lemieix gone pens sub par numbers declined. enter Sid numbers sore.  now its coking to an end w his career and they know itlll be a bumpy road for a few years with numbers down and cost of her ice and travel increasing 

35 minutes ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

wwelll the OG PPE Black teams former payers are all u16AAA or above now so they can't warn the younger generation of the fleecing it really is. Not to mention this is their last push before SID retires from the NHL. The numbers don't like look at the increase when Lemieux and pens won cup hockey took off. lemieix gone pens sub par numbers declined. enter Sid numbers sore.  now its coking to an end w his career and they know itlll be a bumpy road for a few years with numbers down and cost of her ice and travel increasing 

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

And if by chance you were having a stroke while typing that post then I apologize for my insensitivity.

• ROTF 1

22 hours ago, PUCKCOVID19 said:

I edited my post because I could not make heads or tails on the above post and it appears there are those that interpreted it in a different way than I did.

So noted.

Edited by fafa fohi