"Real" AAA

On 9/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, BeaverFalls said:

This board has basically turned into “which AAA team is faux today.”  Time and place for that?  Yes. But it’s getting pretty stale. It’s expected though. That’s the self created pinnacle of these people’s existence when it comes to living through their kids. 

I wish people would chill. I coach less and less each year. Every time I find what I think is an insane parent free zone, someone comes along and spoils it, sitting in the stands to yell at their 8 year old who still has trouble keeping his shoes tied let alone figure out defensive zone coverage. (And tell them wrong things, to boot.) There is no such zone, I guess. I purposely sought out some really low level stuff, thinking no one will take that too seriously and I can't believe the behavior. ?

You are chasing the coaches as well as the refs away, too, you crazy people.

I still do it because despite the behavior, the kids make it fun. But I can definitely see the day when I will be done.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, Danner27 said:

Pretty sure most here knew who the king was - thus the reason he requested all his posts taken down. 

I disliked the guy here but some times his posts were spot on. 

Is that most of the people that have been on the board a long time?  I'm sure the newbees have no idea who the King was nor do they care!  I remember when he left the board wondering how deep into amateur hockey he was!

13 hours ago, Saucey said:

I wish people would chill. I coach less and less each year. Every time I find what I think is an insane parent free zone, someone comes along and spoils it, sitting in the stands to yell at their 8 year old who still has trouble keeping his shoes tied let alone figure out defensive zone coverage. (And tell them wrong things, to boot.) There is no such zone, I guess. I purposely sought out some really low level stuff, thinking no one will take that too seriously and I can't believe the behavior. ?

You are chasing the coaches as well as the refs away, too, you crazy people.

I still do it because despite the behavior, the kids make it fun. But I can definitely see the day when I will be done.

I dont think people are going to chill anytime soon. hopefully you continue to tune out parents or give them the exact answer to the questions they have.  I've seen parents humbled by coaches who gave them honest criticism of their kids instead of empty, sugar coated responses.

13 hours ago, Saucey said:

There is no such zone, I guess. I purposely sought out some really low level stuff, thinking no one will take that too seriously and I can't believe the behavior. ?

Saucey, that is what most people think, but the "low level stuff" have some of the worst parent behavior.  In my experience, it also has some of the most out control players, from a behavior standpoint as well.  I've always chalked it up to the parents and players at "higher levels", tend to have more time and money invested in it and have normally been invested for a longer period of time so the expectations are usually different.  I also feel like the "higher level" players often have a parent that has some level of playing experience, along with better coaching.  

• Like 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, hockey57410 said:

I dont think people are going to chill anytime soon. hopefully you continue to tune out parents or give them the exact answer to the questions they have.  I've seen parents humbled by coaches who gave them honest criticism of their kids instead of empty, sugar coated responses.

It's not me I worry about tuning them out souch. I see little shoulders hunch and players who become completely distracted by what's coming out of the stands. Not to mention what I am sure happens in the car....

• Like 2

Saucey, in past posts, I've brought up the importance of having coaches/evaluators that are honest with players and parents.  I personally have always tried to do that when I was involved with coaching.  What coaches and organizations run into now are parents only see their player through "rose colored glasses", so the minute you are critical of someone's play the parent and player get defensive and then they go "organization shopping" for a coach/organization that is going to simply "tell them what they want to hear" as a way to be sure they are going to bring in the fees/dues all parents pay.

My son played AAA hockey at an older age, but the best coach he had was at AA when he was 12yrs old and told him what his strengths and weaknesses were and told him what he needed to do to play up at the "next level".  I don't think it was easy for my son to hear, but it opened his eyes up and he worked, focusing on those areas that he was deficient in.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

6 hours ago, Corsi said:

Saucey, in past posts, I've brought up the importance of having coaches/evaluators that are honest with players and parents.  I personally have always tried to do that when I was involved with coaching.  What coaches and organizations run into now are parents only see their player through "rose colored glasses", so the minute you are critical of someone's play the parent and player get defensive and then they go "organization shopping" for a coach/organization that is going to simply "tell them what they want to hear" as a way to be sure they are going to bring in the fees/dues all parents pay.

My son played AAA hockey at an older age, but the best coach he had was at AA when he was 12yrs old and told him what his strengths and weaknesses were and told him what he needed to do to play up at the "next level".  I don't think it was easy for my son to hear, but it opened his eyes up and he worked, focusing on those areas that he was deficient in.

Lovely thought. I am happy to talk to the kids any day and do so. Best is when a kid asks you what they can work on.

Parents are another story. I could care less where a kid plays these days as I have zero skin in the game, so chasing them away is not a concern, but I don't want to be attacked or argue with someone. Unless my opinion is solicited from a parent, which suggests they may listen to what I have to say, I don't bother with them. In fact, if they are yelling from the stands, that signals to me the parent is likely a lost cause, since they obviously already know more than the coaches.

Again, who loses in this scenario? The kids.

• Like 2

I agree...  I coached for teams in the past where it was an expectation that the coach have a pre-season/mid-season/end-of-season meetings with each player just to let them know what was going on and where the coaches wanted them to focus as far as skills go.  I have also had parents/players that asked for the feedback.  If it wasn't outright solicited, I didn't volunteer it unless it was an instance where the player had to be sit down during a game because of something that had been addressed multiple times before, when that happened I felt obligated to let the player and parents know why it happened and what needs to change to keep it from happening again.

• Like 2

Wow a lot of teams really dropped in the rankings week 2.  That was a real surprise (Hahaha).  It is great to see the the 2006 SHAHA team doing so well!!!  They should be proud of themselves to build such a solid legit AAA team out there.  They are the only AAA team at SHAHA but the 2008 team keeps trying to build as well.  I hope the 2006 SHAHA team  keeps it up!

• 2 weeks later...

My son is on one of the AAA teams.  It is all politics.  We have one boy on our team that gets extended play due to his family being in the organization for years.  He is not the next Sydney Crosby.  He is arrogant and treats the other teammates poorly.  However, he does nothing wrong.  Definitely not fair.  Not sure AAA is worth the money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gina M said:

My son is on one of the AAA teams.  It is all politics.  We have one boy on our team that gets extended play due to his family being in the organization for years.  He is not the next Sydney Crosby.  He is arrogant and treats the other teammates poorly.  However, he does nothing wrong.  Definitely not fair.  Not sure AAA is worth the money.

To be fair, that can happen with any organization at any level and any team. I tell my children....all you can do is control you. Work as hard as you can and eventually that pays off, over anyone kissing butt to get their kid noticed, politics, etc.  There may be short turn gains for the people working the system, but it turns out that at some point, you have to perform. And quite frankly, you see that with the kids, it doesn't usually help them to become functioning adults. When mommy and daddy can't grease the wheels for them, they have no idea what to do and they...fail at life, not just hockey.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gina M said:

As saucy stated - that’s everywhere, every sport. It’s not really what this thread is about but it’s definitely something that would sour (sorry to use this term) uneducated parents. 

On 10/16/2022 at 11:09 PM, Gina M said:

My question is what age level is your son playing at?  With the younger groups, AAA is worth the money but only if they are getting the necessary skills development and coaching.  I very rarely was ever concerned about ice time until my son was at 15U and older.  I would argue that up until they are 14 the focus should be on skill development and being a good teammate.