PIHL 3A, 2A & 1A Rankings & players to watch

Post Gazette today came out with there initial rankings along with players to watch. Not to many surprises on the rankings.

3A-                                   2A-                               3A-

1.) Peters Township       1.) TJ                                1.) Norwin

2.) NA                            2.) Armstrong                  2.) Fox Chapel

3.) Seneca Valley           3.) Franklin Regional        3.) Montour

4.) Pine Richland           4.) Penn-Trafford              4.) Indiana 

5.) USC                          5.) Meadville                     5.) Moon

Players to watch:

Mostly seniors.... There was a Peters Township sophomore & (2) Juniors from TJ & Peters Township. I am assuming they do not recognize B Division because number 11 from Ringgold is an absolute beast & he is not on this list. Feel free to verify this but In only 2 seasons & I know it's B hockey still  he has played 32 Games & has 89 points. He is like 8th or 9th in Ringgold history in points & is only a junior. He should easy be you scorer after this year. I think he is on that SHAHA 06 team. I cannot imagine any other reason why besides playing in B he was not a player to watch easy one of the top 3 players in the entire PIHL. Other than this I think the rankings & the list are pretty accurate.

2 hours ago, Puck01 said:

Post Gazette today came out with there initial rankings along with players to watch. Not to many surprises on the rankings.

3A-                                   2A-                               3A-

1.) Peters Township       1.) TJ                                1.) Norwin

2.) NA                            2.) Armstrong                  2.) Fox Chapel

3.) Seneca Valley           3.) Franklin Regional        3.) Montour

4.) Pine Richland           4.) Penn-Trafford              4.) Indiana 

5.) USC                          5.) Meadville                     5.) Moon

Players to watch:

Mostly seniors.... There was a Peters Township sophomore & (2) Juniors from TJ & Peters Township. I am assuming they do not recognize B Division because number 11 from Ringgold is an absolute beast & he is not on this list. Feel free to verify this but In only 2 seasons & I know it's B hockey still  he has played 32 Games & has 89 points. He is like 8th or 9th in Ringgold history in points & is only a junior. He should easy be you scorer after this year. I think he is on that SHAHA 06 team. I cannot imagine any other reason why besides playing in B he was not a player to watch easy one of the top 3 players in the entire PIHL. Other than this I think the rankings & the list are pretty accurate.

“I think he is on that SHAHA team.”  Lol

Thanks for the recon SHAHA dad.

• Like 1
  • ROTF 1
  • Wink 1

Yeah I'm not sure why the D2 division just gets shit on and left out. There are some extremely talented players and teams. Just because a player happens to live in an area that needs to Co-Op to field a team doesn't make the hockey any less valid. The hockey itself is just as good as the A division, the top teams would be middle of the pack in AA. All I am saying is with what little media coverage High School Hockey gets, the D2 players and teams should be included, and they should especially be given the opportunity to play for the Penguins Cup and move onto States.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seejay784 said:

Yeah I'm not sure why the D2 division just gets shit on and left out. There are some extremely talented players and teams. Just because a player happens to live in an area that needs to Co-Op to field a team doesn't make the hockey any less valid. The hockey itself is just as good as the A division, the top teams would be middle of the pack in AA. All I am saying is with what little media coverage High School Hockey gets, the D2 players and teams should be included, and they should especially be given the opportunity to play for the Penguins Cup and move onto States.

I agree with you 100% and who cares what local team he is on Fafa?  A good High School player is a good high school player. Not his fault his school is in a coop.  They all should be recognized!

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I agree with you 100% and who cares what local team he is on Fafa?  A good High School player is a good high school player. Not his fault his school is in a coop.  They all should be recognized!

Never said I cared what local team he was on - reread my comment.  I just found the authors reference of “I think he is on that SHAHA team” with an emphasis of “I think” was rather humorous. 

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are good teams at every level.  Some of the top AA teams (IMO) should be in AAA and the bottom AAA teams should be moving down.  There are great players in every division. I think 32 Games & has 89 points would look different if he was playing against better talent and better tenders between the pipes.  The kid from Peters seems to be the exception of younger high level AAA players dominating in the PIHL.  I'm sure the kid can play I'm just not sure using points to justify your position is the appropriate argument.  You can score a bunch of points against a bad team.

3 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Never said I cared what local team he was on - reread my comment.  I just found the authors reference of “I think he is on that SHAHA team” with an emphasis of “I think” was rather humorous. 

Got it. I misunderstood what you were saying! Sometimes I'm a little to quick to react!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:30 AM, Seejay784 said:

Yeah I'm not sure why the D2 division just gets shit on and left out. There are some extremely talented players and teams.

I have to wonder if it's hard to keep track of the co-ops because they change YOY. Like this year Avonworth went pure, so all the kids outside the AV district had to co-op somewhere else. So since the media finds it difficult to rank D2 teams, they don't pay as much attention, and therefore individual performers don't get noticed. Not disagreeing that it sucks for those kids to not be recognized, but there is pretty limited high school hockey coverage.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following PIHL after a couple weeks & it looks like a couple of surprises. 3A looks like Central Catholic, USC & Erie CP are the 3 top teams. 2A looks like South Fayette, Armstrong & GL are the top 3. 1A Montour, North Hills & possibly North Catholic. Open looks Like Ringold, BC & Neshannock. I am sure things will change as season progresses. PIHL is now streaming the games with Burg hockey & Tenbandtv with announcers. I think this was a good move. Should give better exposure to PIHL. AAA hockey is great, but it is sad to see kids not play PIHL with his buddies show case the talent to his district when 99% will never play juniors or higher. I think parents should entertain this unless you have a legit shot at playing a higher level. PIHL seems a lot more competitive & I know the PPE is viewed for the most part in a negative manner on this platform. That said because most local kids do not play PPE seems to benefit PIHL as looks like more are playing PIHL than years past. Any thoughts on players to watch? 24 from Norwin seems impressive was not on PG list.

• 3 weeks later...