What's the deal with Esmark?

4 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Competition is never a bad thing for consumers however they need to do sufficient homework in order to make an educated choice.

How are parents new to the sport supposed to do this? I don't disagree in theory.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, Saucey said:

How are parents new to the sport supposed to do this? I don't disagree in theory.

I have said for years, that education should start at the "Learn to Play" level and continue through 8U and 10U.  I was fortunate enough to grow up around the game, and understand how things work, so my son had a point of reference as far as those things worked.  With some many organizations and chances for people to make money, there's more and more people who will just tell parents what they want to hear in order to get the player to commit to playing there and the parents commit to writing the check that goes with that commitment.    

• Like 1

Yes, and more organizations need to clearly communicate what to expect from them on their website. Like tell us how many practices a week we will get, roughly how many games, tournaments etc we plan to play in. Cost of uniforms, extra required equipment, whatever else in needed. Total season fees, who the coaches are. 

It’s like they all try to hide it from everyone else. If you want to switch organizations, or are a brand new parent to hockey, it’s extremely off putting to go to a website and get ZERO information, and then scour through the pages to find a contact to email, only to either not get a response at all or get a vague one weeks later. 

Just put the information out there and let people make their decision. It might help motivate other organizations to realize why they are losing people and change their ways a bit. Why are organizations afraid of doing this? 

• Like 3
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, forbin said:

Yes, and more organizations need to clearly communicate what to expect from them on their website. Like tell us how many practices a week we will get, roughly how many games, tournaments etc we plan to play in. Cost of uniforms, extra required equipment, whatever else in needed. Total season fees, who the coaches are. 

It’s like they all try to hide it from everyone else. If you want to switch organizations, or are a brand new parent to hockey, it’s extremely off putting to go to a website and get ZERO information, and then scour through the pages to find a contact to email, only to either not get a response at all or get a vague one weeks later. 

Just put the information out there and let people make their decision. It might help motivate other organizations to realize why they are losing people and change their ways a bit. Why are organizations afraid of doing this? 

I've literally never had this problem and I have 3 kids playing. That being said I also don't look at other organizations outside of my comfort level of driving distance for practices.

27 minutes ago, LGP13 said:

I've literally never had this problem and I have 3 kids playing. That being said I also don't look at other organizations outside of my comfort level of driving distance for practices.

Do me a favor a take a look at handful of local organizations websites and try to find out information about their program details….not saying some don’t have some info on there, but it ain’t pretty. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, forbin said:

Do me a favor a take a look at handful of local organizations websites and try to find out information about their program details….not saying some don’t have some info on there, but it ain’t pretty. 

NP has always been one of the more transparent organizations with regards to their program / details.  

https://www.wildcatshockey.net/page/show/6437168-frequently-asked-questions

4 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

NP has always been one of the more transparent organizations with regards to their program / details.  

https://www.wildcatshockey.net/page/show/6437168-frequently-asked-questions

The question is, do they actually follow through?  I don't know, just asking the question.  I do know that's been a problem at other organizations that publish similar documents.  

15 hours ago, forbin said:

My misunderstanding, I initially thought you were trying to say you couldn't find any information at all. If you dig enough the information is available, but yes, I agree with you.

16 hours ago, Lucky17 said:

A few of these are really well done. South Pittsburgh in particular stands out.

I think we take a lot of this information for granted, but if someone is a new hockey parent or has no history with youth hockey, I could see how it could be confusing and a little overwhelming. 

4 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Lucky 17,  Did you check into the Predators?  That is some great research.  They all should put their info out.  I can't find anything on the Preds.  Seems like maybe they have a lot to hide with all their "Faux AAA" teams that are usually out of the playoffs by December!

@hockeyisgreati couldn’t find anything there.

3 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

A few of these are really well done. South Pittsburgh in particular stands out.

I think we take a lot of this information for granted, but if someone is a new hockey parent or has no history with youth hockey, I could see how it could be confusing and a little overwhelming. 

Thanks, I put together the page for South Pittsburgh.  This one was geared more for kids at the 8u level for parents that have never done travel hockey.   When I was at that stage, I was completely clueless of the commitment level and what tryouts were all about.   Back then 8u tryouts were in April not August, and my kid bailed because many of the kids were a lot bigger so we missed a season.  We've tried to respond very quickly to anyone that has a question about the program.

Any other feedback would be appreciated and we can update this page before we get into the next tryout period.  Thanks.  I will also check out these other org pages - some of these are very good too.

• Like 1