Hockey Advisors

I’ve not worked with one. I’ve heard presentations by a few in the past and know 2 families pretty well that have used them. I’ll pull this out of my behind, but I’d bet 10% are good and the other 90% aren’t going to do anything. Perhaps, the other way to look at it, is 10% of the kids with advisers are actually good enough to allow the advisors to do their ‘thing’, while the other 90% of kids and families really shouldn’t be hiring one in the first place (but many advisors likely won’t turn down the fees or be brutally honest with them). I’m not sure what it is- probably a bit of both. 

• Like 2

Depends on who the advisor is and if they are actually working in the best interest of the player.

A google search of the advisor should be done right away to determine their background.

Also they should be able to provide a track record of players that they have  worked with.

Lots of really poor advisors out there.

Try to do your research.  Typically, if an advisor thinks you're good enough or have the potential they will find/reach out to you.  If you have to contact them, then it means they aren't looking at your player right now.  The biggest red flag is if they ask you for money, if they do that run for the hills.  Use your organization as a filter as well to see which ones are legit versus the ones that aren't, or other players that might have advisors to get their feedback.  The right advisor will help you out a lot depending on what your goals are (college, OHL, WHL etc...).  They will have contacts with all the teams and schools and will give you feedback on any schools/jr teams that have interest.  Best thing is, they are 100% honest with you so your not wasting their time, but more importantly your own.  Good luck

16 hours ago, ZingerHockey said:

Try to do your research.  Typically, if an advisor thinks you're good enough or have the potential they will find/reach out to you.  If you have to contact them, then it means they aren't looking at your player right now.  The biggest red flag is if they ask you for money, if they do that run for the hills.  Use your organization as a filter as well to see which ones are legit versus the ones that aren't, or other players that might have advisors to get their feedback.  The right advisor will help you out a lot depending on what your goals are (college, OHL, WHL etc...).  They will have contacts with all the teams and schools and will give you feedback on any schools/jr teams that have interest.  Best thing is, they are 100% honest with you so your not wasting their time, but more importantly your own.  Good luck

I agree with most of your quote. If a player is good enough then people come find you, you don't have to go searching. I do question "if they ask you for money, if they do that run for the hills." Could you clarify that? Personally, I don't have a ton of money to throw around, so I have to deem it necessary to myself before I spend on anything. So these "advisors" do it for free?

3 hours ago, LGP13 said:

So these "advisors" do it for free?

No.  There are 2 types of advisors.  Type #1 will charge a fee now to help you to promote your player to junior and college teams.  Type #2 is more like an agent.  There is no charge now.  They still promote your player to their network of junior and college coaches.  And if you become a professional, they expect to represent you.  Think Jerry McGuire, show me the money, etc.

IF you looking for an advisor your player is at best lower Nahl talent PPe kids go to the good leagues. 90 percent of 95 percent of ESMARKS tenders never make the nahl team that tenders them. keep that in mind. You dont need an advisor to play t3. every owner will gladly take your 12-16k easily. 

To the uneducated parent, please disregard statements such as ‘if you’re looking for an advisor your player is a lower NAHL player’.  There are no absolutes that your player must be represented by an agent at 14 or even 16 and moving on to play junior hockey at 16 1/2.  Kids blossom at different times.  Kids get noticed at different times. Kids get noticed by agents or advisors at different times. Your 15 year old not having an agent doesn’t mean he’s a lower NAHL player. As if there’s anything wrong with that anyway.  There are a number of advisors out there who will happily take your money. Just like there are a number of paid subscription websites out there who will drool over your kid if you subscribe.  The problem is not the advisors or the faux scouting sites, it’s the elephant in the room that hockey is a rich kids sport.  There’s a lot of obnoxious parents out there who view their child’s come up like they view everything else in life, as in they can purchase it.  So they hire an advisor for 5k to ‘promote their kid’ or sign up for X site and all of the sudden their kid is ‘top 10 left winger in the country at the 08 by’ (According to the site they just signed up for @ $90 a month).   There’s so many shithead parents in this sport driving this kind of thing that people would be stupid not to take advantage of it.  

Right now,  more parents are reading what I just said and going to sign up on one of these sites (that no scouts pay attention to) rather than encouraging their kid to make sacrifices and become a player who,  advisor or not,  is going to play this sport long term.  

With that said, it’s good to ‘eventually’ find someone who’s reputable, that will help you navigate the landscape, especially when getting into the junior hockey world.  Whether you pay that person,  or they are free. 

Edited by ChiefKeef
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

7 hours ago, ChiefKeef said:

Right now,  more parents are reading what I just said and going to sign up on one of these sites (that no scouts pay attention to) rather than encouraging their kid to make sacrifices and become a player who,  advisor or not,  is going to play this sport long term.  

I bet you just gave some websites a bump and a half from the crew that reads this message board.