The Cost of AAA Hockey

The western PA region has been becoming more and more saturated with "AAA" organizations over the past decade or so. A substantial percentage of the discussion on this board is about them. I have my own opinions on the phenomenon, but this article is a useful perspective for players and parents.

To those who choose to play at those higher levels, you have my respect. Neither of my players is at that level. JV and/or varsity will be just fine for us. My kids would've considered playing for one, too, if they were that level of player.

Just some much needed perspective.

https://thehockeythinktank.com/2019/03/26/the-cost-of-aaa-hockey/

Good article bender thanks for posting it.  There are only 2 AAA "organizations" in PA in my humble opinion.  The local team and the team out east.  All other "organizations" have some AAA teams but are not AAA "organizations".  MAHA makes it easy, in order to classify as a AAA organization you must have a AAA team at each level.  If PAHL put something like in place the AAA team concept goes down the drain and the rest of the kids are playing AA hockey.  Not that AA is cheap but it doesn't compare to $10-$20k.  Who knows this may also help to correctly allocate the talent pool in WPA as well.

I'm not a fan of limiting opportunities, but nothing will change in PA until something comes from PAHL or USA Hockey.  

• Like 1

The problem that I see though is that a lot of these organizations have multiple people making really good money.  There are presidents, hockey directors at each level, skills directors, and more titles that squeeze even more money out of the families than necessary.  And let’s not kid ourselves…a lot of coaches and directors are making more than $500-$1,000 per kid.

This is the most accurate statement that has ever been written and it sums up at least two local organizations and it fits the big one to a T.

The truth is, as the article mentions, that hockey is becoming steadily more expensive at all levels for many reasons. Even some house teams play in, and sometimes travel to, multiple tournaments every year, and there are clinics, equipment, and other costs out the wazoo. It's very easy for a frugal parent to feel like they're shorting their kid if they don't cough up for all of it. And in the case of tournaments, it's hard to say no if your kid is one of 13 skaters on a typical squirt team.

In my view the cost of amateur hockey of all kinds is becoming far too high, but fixing that is a Herculean task.

As the parent of two players, one of whom played AAA and high level AA hockey, we easily spent in excess of $8,000 a season between:  Dues, hotels, food, gas, car maintenance, hockey gear, souvenirs, etc.  Now that one of our players has moved on to college, that money for AAA and AA hockey is now going to pay tuition...   Our other player has been doing AA most of their career and I'd say we spent easily $4k-$5k on the same expenses...  so it has cost us a TON and our players probably aren't going to the NHL but they did have one heck of a good time playing hockey (so far).  And we really enjoy watching them play. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

You are. Not funny. Besides, if you're in need of the hockey scholarship to play AAA hockey here are two things to consider 1) How do you plan to pay for the other expenses? 2) Have you considered another sport or just rec hockey?

Funny or not, there are working models out there where either the state or large businesses subsidizing/sponsoring advanced athletes and/or organizations. 

The point is, the cost of running the sport organization is not going to go down ever, unless you give in on quality, safety, or development standards. But the affordability of the sport to parents (the amount we have to pay) can be reduced. 

5 hours ago, Scooby Doo said:

As the parent of two players, one of whom played AAA and high level AA hockey, we easily spent in excess of $8,000 a season between:  Dues, hotels, food, gas, car maintenance, hockey gear, souvenirs, etc.  Now that one of our players has moved on to college, that money for AAA and AA hockey is now going to pay tuition...   Our other player has been doing AA most of their career and I'd say we spent easily $4k-$5k on the same expenses...  so it has cost us a TON and our players probably aren't going to the NHL but they did have one heck of a good time playing hockey (so far).  And we really enjoy watching them play. 

Watching your kids play a sport that they love........that’s what it’s all about.  I have watched two of my three boys play from Mites to U18 and I have one left playing U14. 

What in the hell am I going to do on the weekend when it’s all gone?  

Raking leaves and cutting the grass is overrated. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

Watching your kids play a sport that they love........that’s what it’s all about.  I have watched two of my three boys play from Mites to U18 and I have one left playing U14. 

What in the hell am I going to do on the weekend when it’s all gone?  

Raking leaves and cutting the grass is overrated. 

Every year I have a bout of depression when hockey season ends and I'm not going to the rink fur times a week to coach youth players. My son is a midget this year so this may be my last season of coaching him myself - he my just switch to HS hockey - but I hear what you are saying. People ask me how I can spend so much time on it, and all I can say is that I spend four hours a week with each of my kids doing something we both love.

It's still getting WAY too expensive to put a kid on the ice, even at ordinary amateur levels. But it's worth it for me and my family.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

Every year I have a bout of depression when hockey season ends and I'm not going to the rink fur times a week to coach youth players. My son is a midget this year so this may be my last season of coaching him myself - he my just switch to HS hockey - but I hear what you are saying. People ask me how I can spend so much time on it, and all I can say is that I spend four hours a week with each of my kids doing something we both love.

It's still getting WAY too expensive to put a kid on the ice, even at ordinary amateur levels. But it's worth it for me and my family.

Organizations still appreciate your time. Learn to play, learn to skate programs go on all year. When your child is done, you can volunteer for the Pens Hockey Sticks together programs. Your kid's program could continue to benefit from your experience. Help a new squirt team next season. Bring your midget with you. You don't have to volunteer so much time as when he was playing, but boy those new coaches would appreciate your knowledge and experience. And you don't have to quit what has been such a large part of your life. 

• Like 1