Black Bear Starting to move in on Youth Hockey??

2 hours ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

I don’t think they have any to buy in Western PA. 

I agree, as most of the remaining are municipal rinks. Based on their purchases to date, their gap seems to be the north. Based on the ownership Baierl seems unlikely. Frozen Pond just doesn’t seem like a good investment - the building and the property (built on that hillside) have to be a deterrent. There were previous rumors about RMU… maybe that is still a possibility?

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

Ice castle, RMU if they decide to get out of the business.  Ice mine or Baierl? That's all I can think of off the top of my head. 

Ice Castle might sell if they are offered a whole lot of money, it would probably take an above and beyond offer that I don’t think BB would be willing to make. Same as Baierl. 

RMU can’t sell now. 

I guess Ice Mine could sell. But that is so far out would BB be interested? 

2 minutes ago, Happy Hockey Fan said:

Ice Castle might sell if they are offered a whole lot of money, it would probably take an above and beyond offer that I don’t think BB would be willing to make. Same as Baierl. 

RMU can’t sell now. 

I guess Ice Mine could sell. But that is so far out would BB be interested? 

Not sure but I was shocked they were interested in Rostraver 

Alpha makes the most sense for BB to go after. 3 sheets plus they are now partners with the USPHL so having the Vengeance there makes sense (assuming they field a junior team again). 

I have also heard some very strong and credible rumors about BB actively pursuing a handful of rinks in the Western NY area which coupled with the Pittsburgh area rinks could make up a substantial amount of teams/rinks for an AHF West. Will be interesting to see where it goes from here. 

I haven’t been yet, but I did hear that Rostraver has gotten some updates including a new Zamboni and new lights

56 minutes ago, forbin said:

I haven’t been yet, but I did hear that Rostraver has gotten some updates including a new Zamboni and new lights

Wifi installed but still not for public access.  Livebarn signage on premises but wasn't installed as of ~2 weeks ago.

Didn't know they got a new zamboni, and I will have to look at the lights next time I'm there. 

there were also a bunch of younger guys there cleaning and maintaining the public areas, which is another new thing...

Edited by Wes

2 hours ago, Wes said:

Wifi installed but still not for public access.  Livebarn signage on premises but wasn't installed as of ~2 weeks ago.

Didn't know they got a new zamboni, and I will have to look at the lights next time I'm there. 

there were also a bunch of younger guys there cleaning and maintaining the public areas, which is another new thing...

At Rostraver I have noticed that they cleaned alot - the windows between the lobby and the rink are actually clear now. I was there a week or so ago and I'm pretty sure they were using the old Zamboni.

26 minutes ago, Corsi said:

Has there been any word on BB moving toward a second ice sheet at Rostraver?  

I'm guessing they want to get the first sheet rented out to capacity with a higher ice price before they go to the second.  They haven't even put the second one back in at Printscape yet let alone building a new one at Rostraver. 

I'm guessing they want to get the first sheet rented out to capacity with a higher ice price before they go to the second.  They haven't even put the second one back in at Printscape yet let alone building a new one at Rostraver. 

And, let's face it, they'd probably have to build a new building to put in a second sheet there.

• Like 1

Rostraver is barely used. BB doesn't  build pads unless the ground work is done. Printscape's second pad is coming. I would say timeline would be next year. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:20 PM, Ynot02 said:

I agree, as most of the remaining are municipal rinks. Based on their purchases to date, their gap seems to be the north. Based on the ownership Baierl seems unlikely. Frozen Pond just doesn’t seem like a good investment - the building and the property (built on that hillside) have to be a deterrent. There were previous rumors about RMU… maybe that is still a possibility?

Based on them buying Rostraver it doesn't seem like they are real worried about it being a good investment or not!

• 100 2

On 11/29/2022 at 8:08 AM, RJUSHL said:

Black Bear did offer to buy RMU a few years ago. The the managing partner of Black Bear (Murry Gunty) even tweeted about it.

I've heard rumors about Black Bear and Alpha, but I know zero about the ownership situation at Alpha.

IMO BB’s “offer” to buy RMU was a publicity stunt. They wanted people to think that they cared about college hockey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Based on them buying Rostraver it doesn't seem like they are real worried about it being a good investment or not!

You are probably correct that the rink is not he investment for them, but having another local rink available to host AHF showcase weekends in the future is probably more of the idea.  

On 11/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, aaaahockey said:

Now for the important question, have they improved the bar? 

The bar kitchen still vents (blows) into the rink, so if you sit on the side of the building closest to those vents it stinks like Oil from the chicken wing fryer ?

Lots to fix there.

Additionally the rink is very humid at times... poor HVAC implementation.

• ROTF 1

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

Additionally the rink is very humid at times... poor HVAC implementation.

It sometimes seems like the dehumidifiers are turned completely off. The HVAC in that building is completely unacceptable. Honestly, I thought before BB bought it that the HVAC alone was enough to mess up the deal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

It sometimes seems like the dehumidifiers are turned completely off. The HVAC in that building is completely unacceptable. Honestly, I thought before BB bought it that the HVAC alone was enough to mess up the deal.

EXACTLY.  At times it is SO MOIST on the floor around the rink it seems like it rained in there.  I've never seen that anywhere else but dehumidifiers being off would be an issue for sure.