Lemieux getting a 3rd sheet

2 minutes ago, Saucey said:

I am not unhappy! Neither are my children. Again, why does one have to be a CONSTANT cheerleader to make you happy?

Someone asked me for my opinion and I gave it. So tired of being told to shut up. Counter my opinion. Don't criticize me for giving it.

Saucey, That wasn't meant for you I value your opinion.  You tell it like it is without an axe to grind.  You have to admit that there are some people who come here to be negative.  I do agree 100% that Hockey advancement is very convoluted compared to any other sport I can think of.  But for sure it's not going to change any time soon!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Glad it worked out for your son and I commend him and your family. But he is rare. 

I stand by what I said. I am not the only one, studies done by professionals indicated this is not a great way to grow up. That was years ago, there was legislation posed to prevent this kind of thing. So sorry you are tired of hearing that but yes, this is my opinion. I am sure if people wanted to, they could come up with a way to develop hockey players that isn't so freaking burdensome on kids and families. You play football, you can lead a normal life and go to the NHL or college. I think there is a great deal of criticism that can be leveled against the sport's path and a great deal of room for improvement. 

I guess my perception comes from my experience as does yours. Who gets to define what is normal ?   My sons path and experiences have always been a family affair.  I’ll admit - junior hockey is a mind f&$@ and college hockey is the next level of mind f^*+. But , this kind of reward doesn’t come without hard work.  

I know there is a great deal of criticism out there because as the players keep getting weeded out - the second guessing and criticisms come in to play.  Eventually every single player - plays their last game - where the merry go round ends isn’t always their choice. 

I would argue against your comment on “professionals saying it’s not a great way to grow up” .I guess if you walk away with regrets - then that statement could fit . 

5 minutes ago, whatever said:

I guess my perception comes from my experience as does yours. Who gets to define what is normal ?   My sons path and experiences have always been a family affair.  I’ll admit - junior hockey is a mind f&$@ and college hockey is the next level of mind f^*+. But , this kind of reward doesn’t come without hard work.  

I know there is a great deal of criticism out there because as the players keep getting weeded out - the second guessing and criticisms come in to play.  Eventually every single player - plays their last game - where the merry go round ends isn’t always their choice. 

I would argue against your comment on “professionals saying it’s not a great way to grow up” .I guess if you walk away with regrets - then that statement could fit . 

To be clear, I have no regrets. You keep implying that I am a butt hurt parent with a washed up kid. Why would that be the only source of criticsim of what is essentially a terrible system?

Since your perspective comes from having made it, I wonder....there is nothing in that experience that could not have been improved upon? Why does juniors have to be so brutal? To sell tickets, I hear. How much is even made on ticket sales? I did not think those teams made profits, for the most part.

if hockey is such a late development sport...why not make it so that juniors doesn't exist until age 18? Hersey, I know.

I am talking about studies done regarding the increased professionalism of youth sports, not just hockey, to train children as if they are mini adults. The push to specialize younger and younger. Not good for young bodies. Child psychologists. Doctors. Those sorts of professionals. 

It would be nice if talent could be developed without the huge asks, the gauntlet. Your boy ran the gauntlet, so you seem to see no issues. But you could probably suggest some improvement. Of the things you and your boy went through...what could you have done without?

I operate from the standpoint that it should be easier for more to play. To decrease cost. To make hockey more accessible. If you limit your talent pool only to those who have money and can run the gauntlet, who have access to the gauntlet, which is another conversation entirely, then you necessarily miss some athletes. That's not a good system when you talk about national teams, Olympics, etc. You aren't getting the best athletes. You are getting the best athletes in a limited pool.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...