Spring Hockey, Summer Camps & Development Opportunities?

What is the best way to find out about spring hockey teams, summer camps, clinics, and other developmental opportunities for a 14U player? Is there some central repository of this kind of information for the greater Pittsburgh area? Any strong recommendations for any of the above? Thanks!

There is no central repository.  The locals who make a living on youth hockey will all have promotional material floating around at your rink or in your e-mail Inbox, and the rink ownership will certainly promote as well if they have ice to sell in the off season.  If your local rink shuts down, just visit the next nearest rink that stays open. 

I can't say that I recommend any one specific spring/summer program, clinic, or instructor.  We've done a lot of them over the years. 

I'm not aware of a bad league.  I guess I would caution on RMU 3v3.  This can be fun for your kids but it's not exactly hockey as we know it. 

Regarding camps - most are decent.  All are pricey.

Regarding spring teams, we've had some fun spring team experiences and a handful of questionable ones.  I am aware of a few instructors I would not re-use, but this is clearly subjective and what failed for my kids might be exactly what you need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

I'm not aware of a bad league.  I guess I would caution on RMU 3v3.  This can be fun for your kids but it's not exactly hockey as we know it. 

100% correct. My kids love the RMU 3v3 summer league, but usually also play in a 5v5 league. 3v3 is really fun for the kids to play but it ain't hockey any more than half court 1v1 is basketball.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

100% correct. My kids love the RMU 3v3 summer league, but usually also play in a 5v5 league. 3v3 is really fun for the kids to play but it ain't hockey any more than half court 1v1 is basketball.

Spring and summer leagues and ball hockey have allowed my boys to choose who they way to play with. They get the opportunity to play with kids/friends at a different level. Pure fun. Don't buy anyone's hype that they are elite or going to develop your kid a lot.

We've done a number of camps over the years. Make sure they go with a friend.

The biggest bang for your buck are quality individual or small group private.lessons. Pick a camp that offers something specific he wants to work on.

They need a break, mental and physical. Do a different sport. At this age, let him start weight training and dry land. Cardio like biking if interval training will help with skating stamina.

My boys were generally only on the ice maybe once a week over the summer unless they were doing a league, then twice. A camp here and there. Mine are pretty good. The foot was off the gas over the summer for sure.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

37 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Spring and summer leagues and ball hockey have allowed my boys to choose who they way to play with. They get the opportunity to play with kids/friends at a different level. Pure fun. Don't buy anyone's hype that they are elite or going to develop your kid a lot.

We've done a number of camps over the years. Make sure they go with a friend.

The biggest bang for your buck are quality individual or small group private.lessons. Pick a camp that offers something specific he wants to work on.

They need a break, mental and physical. Do a different sport. At this age, let him start weight training and dry land. Cardio like biking if interval training will help with skating stamina.

My boys were generally only on the ice maybe once a week over the summer unless they were doing a league, then twice. A camp here and there. Mine are pretty good. The foot was off the gas over the summer for sure.

100% agree with the other sports.  Try mountain biking, directly impacts the skating muscles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...