Largest hurdle to a full Black Bear takeover in WPA... "AAA" teams in the South Hills

Let me explain...

We all know that Black Bear is snatching up rinks, taking over programs, and will soon be moving those programs out of PAHL and into their AHF league. With this model they control revenue streams on three distinct levels. This is a genius move by them. The multiple revenue streams reduces their risk and it's easy for them to "tuck in" new rinks and organizations into their ecosystem. It's going to continue to pick up momentum at a faster and faster pace.

What's their biggest hurdle?

The South Hills has three large, well-established organizations, that play at rinks that will be next to impossible for Black Bear to acquire. The three organizations are pretty obvious:

1. Mt. Lebanon Hornets - Rink is owned by the district. 
  2. Pittsburgh Predators - Well run rink with active owners that I can't imagine being sold.
  3. South Hills Panthers - The rink is owned by the YMCA. That isn't going to change.

There are a lot of youth hockey players in the South Hills and a lot of them play at one of these three organizations. And part of the appeal is the built-in progression, whether real or perceived, of moving from a PAHL "A" team to a PAHL "AA" BY team, to an independent "AAA" team, all within the same organization. We don't have to re-hash the debate, but some of those AAA teams are very good teams, particularly some of the top 30 SHAHA AAA teams. This model is appealing for many of the good South Hills players that don't want to drive to New Ken or Harmerville, and who would have a hard time making a PPE team.

And because those rinks won't change ownership, Black Bear won't be able to exert pressure on a league change, and with the size of these organizations, that's a lot of money left on the table. That's a lot of kids that aren't contributing to the Black Bear bottom line. They want every youth hockey player in the region to contribute to their bottom line.

So how does Black Bear change this? What's their move?

They open up a second sheet of ice at Printscape, start a stand alone Tier 1 program out of that rink, and siphon off the best AAA level kids that are playing under the SHAHA, Preds, and Lebo Hornets brand. If Black Bear starts their own Tier 1 program with a unique brand at that rink (that they own), a lot of parents and kids will make the move. They just will. There's a perceived difference playing for a AAA SHAHA team with the same name and logo as the A Minor teams. There is a perceived difference in a Tier 1 only organization like Esmark or Vengeance. Once that comes to the South Hills via a second sheet at Printscape, Black Bear is going to scoop up a wide swath of South Hills kids.

Edited by RJUSHL

5 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

And is all that a bad thing? 

What is the big worry? That it will cost more to play? Hockey is already the most expensive sport! 

I guess time will tell if it's good or bad and what will be the measuring stick?

Not necessarily bad, but it will certainly impact hockey in the region. I posted this more just because I'm anticipating their strategy playing out this way. It's just interesting watching it unfold.

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Why do we all just assume that this is all a bad thing?  Maybe just maybe it will lead to better hockey in SWPA!

It may very well lead to better, more competitive hockey in WPA. That would be great! But there is no doubt that it will lead to more expensive hockey in WPA.

• 100 1