Exhibit A, B, and C on why officials keep quitting

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

Unless he was swearing at them, who cares. I coached Mites and some of the nicest parents I know would HAVE to scream at Mite kids because they don't listen for crap. You have little Johnny skating doing whatever he wants, Timmy going to the boards to wave to Gma and Gpa, Danny riding his stick like a horse, Sammy picking his nose, Alex squirting other kids with a water bottle, Mikey sitting down in the middle of the ice (where he can get hurt), Joey playing rock paper scissors with a kid from the other team with his gloves off, Collin skating in the middle of the ice trying to get other kids to see his new trick he learned at practice the other day and little Brandon swinging his stick everywhere but at the puck

Yep, with behavior like that these kids are never going to get to the NHL.  Someone needs to keep them in line.

• 100 1

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

You nailed that Mite practice!  Sounds like kids having fun at that age!  Isn't that the most important thing. Also it's the coaches job to keep all those mite kids entertained and doing positive hockey things.   Your example above has them having to much time on their hands at practice.  But I love it and that's the real deal.

I was talking about games not practices. The kids listen more in practices because they are made to be a little fun compared to games. The kids also should NOT be having that much fun at practice and should be taught at home to listen and not do whatever they want just because the parents forked over a few hundred dollars.

33 minutes ago, Eddie Shore said:

Yep, with behavior like that these kids are never going to get to the NHL.  Someone needs to keep them in line.

Nothing to do with getting to the NHL, it's about listening to your coach when they ask you to do something and not be rewarded or defended by mommy and daddy just because they paid a few hundred dollars for their kid to play.

If you want to pay someone hundreds to babysit I will do that on the side but if I am going to volunteer my time to help your kid learn a sport I expect them to listen when asked to do something and not be all over the place.

• Like 1

Little League Baseball has adopted the USA Hockey model of stations where players are completing different tasks at different stations, then rotating every 5-10 minutes.  Fungos in one area, grounders in another, BP, fly balls, running bases.......kids at this age are known for kicking daisies in the outfield and making dust clouds on the dirt infield when they are bored.

If kids are standing around at a Mite practice that is a major problem and the fault lies with the coaches on the ice - kids that age have the attention span of a gnat.  Keep the kids engaged and moving around should fix that problem. 

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 1
  • 100 2

1 minute ago, fafa fohi said:

Little League Baseball has adopted the USA Hockey model of stations where players are completing different tasks at different stations, then rotating every 5-10 minutes.  Fungos in one area, grounders in another, BP, fly balls, running bases.......

If kids are standing around at a Mite practice that is a major problem and is on the coaches on the ice - kids that age have the attention span of a gnat.  Keep the kids engaged and moving around should fix that problem. 

USA Soccer has done the same.  Their development model reads very similarly to USAH.

7 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Unless he was swearing at them, who cares. I coached Mites and some of the nicest parents I know would HAVE to scream at Mite kids because they don't listen for crap. You have little Johnny skating doing whatever he wants, Timmy going to the boards to wave to Gma and Gpa, Danny riding his stick like a horse, Sammy picking his nose, Alex squirting other kids with a water bottle, Mikey sitting down in the middle of the ice (where he can get hurt), Joey playing rock paper scissors with a kid from the other team with his gloves off, Collin skating in the middle of the ice trying to get other kids to see his new trick he learned at practice the other day and little Brandon swinging his stick everywhere but at the puck

No, I am talking about slamming his stick, face turning red screaming because 5-7 year olds couldn't catch a pass. If you scream at kids as a coach you're failing. Communication and leadership is how you'll gain their respect. This just proves he hasn't gotten his temper under control.

• 100 2

On 1/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, Eddie Shore said:

Someone needs to keep them in line.

YES someone does, for their own GD safety!! WTF does making the NHL have to do with child safety? because the likely hood of them making the NHL is basically nil they should just do whatever the heck they want on the ice? Why not just forget hockey altogether and just have a U8 Thunderdome?

and dear lord, how much clearer could pucks11 be that they were referring to GAMES not practices. but here we go, posts about it being a coaching problem if kids are standing around during practice. 

no wonder kids today can't listen worth a crap

• 100 1

14 hours ago, miked said:

YES someone does, for their own GD safety!! WTF does making the NHL have to do with child safety? because the likely hood of them making the NHL is basically nil they should just do whatever the heck they want on the ice? Why not just forget hockey altogether and just have a U8 Thunderdome?

and dear lord, how much clearer could pucks11 be that they were referring to GAMES not practices. but here we go, posts about it being a coaching problem if kids are standing around during practice. 

no wonder kids today can't listen worth a crap

Sarcasm……..

Looking at potential NHL while still in Mites?  

I guess I am really going to have to mark all my posts when I am being sarcastic.

Sarcasm starts here:
Plus, everyone knows you really can’t judge good NHL potential until kids get to Pee Wee’s.  Sarcasm ends here ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, Offsides said:

Dude, settle down and keep your blinders on.

He started PIHO and was/is the key person behind it--and who knows what the behind the scenes tinkering that is going on. Maybe since you have his back your kid will get assigned more games.

So since Roberts has vacated/abdicated the throne of PIHO. Who is going to be the next king? I see someone on the PIHO website named Chadd Colin (VP and COO). Anyone know anything about him?

Edited by hockey1234
punctuation

From what I have heard Colin is the lackey of Robert's and he is not well liked at all. Tries to impress people with his long winded messages to officials making it sound like he and PIHO are doing everyone a favor by letting the officials skate for them. Couple him with the other good old boys and you have inflated egos who are not respected by most of those who skate games. Tolerate is the key word one hears.

59 minutes ago, Offsides said:

From what I have heard Colin is the lackey of Robert's and he is not well liked at all. Tries to impress people with his long winded messages to officials making it sound like he and PIHO are doing everyone a favor by letting the officials skate for them. Couple him with the other good old boys and you have inflated egos who are not respected by most of those who skate games. Tolerate is the key word one hears.

So basically we are going to see more exploitation of youth hockey so more good old boys can line their pockets with money and keep increasing the cost of youth hockey.....sounds great.

17 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I hear they may be in danger of losing or not having contracts renewed. Maybe WPHOA will be resurrected or even better, a return to more individual or small group schedulers which would provide competition and lower rates.

That would be interesting. I think not too long ago PIHL scheduled their own officials. PAHL still does for the most part but with Dave Fryer coming in and being part of PIHO as well, not sure how long that will last.

Right--unless someone is able to spin a sales pitch to snooker all PAHL membership boards to think PIHO has some secret pool of officials, like they did to North Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Westmoreland. Pay us more money, yet you get the same officials as before signing on with PIHO. Suckers.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, hockey1234 said:

That would be interesting. I think not too long ago PIHL scheduled their own officials. PAHL still does for the most part but with Dave Fryer coming in and being part of PIHO as well, not sure how long that will last.

I believe that most of PAHL is contracted with PIHO. They would need to not renew and then hire a scheduler that is familiar with the pool of officials and be respected (by the officials) enough for them to be willing to skate for them. I guarantee that the officials will not skate for less money with the amount of cash flying around hockey these days. And I guarantee that the "better officials" will have their pick what games and what orgs they skate - more so than now- so if you think you have crappy officials now, just wait.

BTW - just in case you were wondering about why you keep seeing the same zebras, or maybe you think you only get the zebras that need more seasoning, there may be a reason..... There are orgs and just specific teams that many officials refuse to skate for (maybe it's the players, maybe the coaches, maybe the parents, maybe the pay rate.... everyone has their own reasons)..... part of the availability we used to fill out included the ability to blacklist rinks and teams. Your team or org might be one that they hold their nose and get the check up front.

No matter how you cut it, it's a losing situation..... At least WPHOA was non-profit and actually did develop some good officials.... not saying that there were not a few under developed officials and a few lost causes that were only interested in the money.....

Maybe the big bad bear will try to monopolize the scheduling of officials too..... I could see a real officials Union forming..... If that happens I'll bring the hot dogs and popcorn!

• Fist Bump 1