CCM NIT Tournament in Minnesota?

I wanted to give all of you advanced information about next spring’s Team Michigan. As you may know, Team Michigan represents Michigan high school hockey against the top high school hockey states (Minnesota, Wisconsin, & North Dakota) at the CCM NIT Tournament in Minnesota. This event is the most scouted tournament there is for our players; last year every NHL, USHL and NAHL team was represented, as well as most Division 1 University’s.

We now have two “Team Michigan” squads attending the CCM NIT Tournament: a Senior team and a U-18 (Junior) team. For us as high school coaches, it is crucial that we send our top players to make up these two squads. When scouts see Michigan players on the ice at this tournament, it sends a message as to the talent level here in Michigan. Therefore, sending our best players helps every single one of us, and every single one of our programs and players.

Do any PA teams compete in this event?  Is there a Team Pennsylvania?

The PIHL had a team Pittsburgh a couple years ago that did the American showcase. It was only Juniors & Seniors & tryouts to make at the end of each season. I think COVID canceled it, or the PIHL stopped sending a team. I am not aware of this tourney I would imagine PA would have to have tryouts & put something together unless you are permitted to allow a PA HS player tryout for a Michigan HS team & play out of their Jurisdiction.  

32 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

Can’t say in my 20+ years of being around youth hockey I’ve ever heard of team pa. There was a team pittsburgh - one year they did real well, maybe won the tournement in the Midwest somewhere. 

Chicago Showcase?

31 minutes ago, Lucky17 said:

Chicago Showcase?

Yes, I think that's what he means. The Chicago Showcase started in 1985 and I believe was last held in 2009. The Pittsburgh team did have a few good showings in the 2000s. There were a few local players who made connections there that helped them get to prep school, junior, etc. In general, there were quite a few players (not just from Pittsburgh) who credited this tournament with helping advance their careers. I believe that the local team required participants to play on a PIHL team.

Since 2010, it has been called the Americas Showcase. It was held in PGH for a several years, then moved to St Louis, and not sure when they last held it. I don't think this incarnation of the tournament had quite as many good teams, and I don't think it had the track record of the Chicago Showcase as far as player placement goes. However, times have changed a lot in the last 13 years or so and I'm sure that's a part of it too. 

https://www.americasshowcasestlouis.com/page/show/3414808-about

• Like 2