2023-24 Tryout Dates

So I see that North Pittsburgh has kicked of the tryout date crap show.  Let's use this thread to post all known tryout dates for reference.  I'm actually surprised I haven't seen others yet, given that NP posted this a few weeks ago.

Co-Ed Travel 

10U (2013-2014 Birth years) - April 10 to 14 

12U (2011-2012 Birth years) - April 15 to 17, 19 & 20 

14U (2009-2010 Birth years) - April 22 to 24, 26 & 27

16U (2007-2008 Birth years) - April 29 & 30, May 1, 3 & 4 

18U (2005-2006 Birth years) - May 8, 10, & 13 

Girls Travel 

All Girls Travel Tryouts will be held on April 29 & 30 

**ALL DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE** 

• Like 2

The little hyper-local strategies that are used are always funny. Orgs at competing rinks waiting until the org down the street posts dates, then undercutting those dates by at least 48 hours (commitment fee refund deadline) for each BY. It's a smart strategy that allows some orgs to pickup borderline AA players, who may make a team at an earlier tryout, but aren't confident they'll make the next one. They accept, 48 hours pass, they don't want to eat the commitment fee, so the earlier tryout team gets the player. For non BY or AA teams, the strategy can sometimes work in reverse.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

Folks, while the ad nauseum discussion about the flaws of various organizations might be especially interesting on this topic in particular, I'm thinking that the OP intended this thread to serve as a reference of when everyone is scheduling tryouts. Perhaps another thread about tryout shenanigans would be more appropriate for those discussions. There are probably many, many people who would appreciate a quick reference for tryout dates.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

I see Aviators have posted

2023-2024 TRYOUT DAYS (TIMES TBD)

10U (2013/14) - April 12,13
12U (2011/12) - April  3,5,6
14U (2010) - April 1,2,4
14U (2009) - April 10,11
16U & 18U - April 15,16

2023-2024 TEAMS

10U (2013/14)
12U (2012)
12U (2011)
14U (2010)
14U (2010)
14U (2009)
16U

18U

*We will be fielding teams a the AA and A levels for each age

2 hours ago, Ihearthockey said:

I see Aviators have posted

2023-2024 TRYOUT DAYS (TIMES TBD)

10U (2013/14) - April 12,13
12U (2011/12) - April  3,5,6
14U (2010) - April 1,2,4
14U (2009) - April 10,11
16U & 18U - April 15,16

2023-2024 TEAMS

10U (2013/14)
12U (2012)
12U (2011)
14U (2010)
14U (2010)
14U (2009)
16U

18U

*We will be fielding teams a the AA and A levels for each age

I wonder where they intend to put all these teams? There isn't enough ice for Alpha to have both Renegades and 16 Aviators teams

23 hours ago, kid310050 said:

I wonder where they intend to put all these teams? There isn't enough ice for Alpha to have both Renegades and 16 Aviators teams

While that is a good question, I'm curious what the Renegades numbers have looked like since the Aviators have arrived at Alpha. If Renegades are losing teams because kids are going to Aviators it's not really an influx. Same amount of kids, just shuffling the logos on their jerseys.

*edit spelling

Edited by LGP13

2 minutes ago, LGP13 said:

While that is a good question, I'm curious what the Renegades numbers have looked like since the Aviators have arrived at Alpha. If Renegades are losing teams because kids are going to Aviators it's not really an influx. Same amount of kids, just shuffling the logos on their jerseys.

*edit spelling

Actually SCIR added two teams this year for a total of 19 compared to 17 teams in 2021-22 and 2020-21.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGP13 said:

*edit spelling

I think the one advantage Renegades have is their mite program. Aviators do not have a mite program to feed into their system.

1 hour ago, kid310050 said:

I think the one advantage Renegades have is their mite program. Aviators do not have a mite program to feed into their system.

I am not familiar with SCIR's mite program however I do know NP's is one of the better ones out there for anyone that is interested.  In years past Neville was the go-to with regards to Mites and NP has done a great job in building their mite / in-house programs.

3 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

I am not familiar with SCIR's mite program however I do know NP's is one of the better ones out there for anyone that is interested.  In years past Neville was the go-to with regards to Mites and NP has done a great job in building their mite / in-house programs.

Is North Pittsburgh still an in-house only mite program?  I always thought that was a great idea instead of chasing the dream at 6 years old and driving all over the place. 

8 hours ago, LGP13 said:

*edit spelling

The Aviators are were you go when you can't make a team or are convinced everyone placed your kid wrong. I doubt the Renegades are worried.

• Holy Moly 1

2 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Is North Pittsburgh still an in-house only mite program?  I always thought that was a great idea instead of chasing the dream at 6 years old and driving all over the place. 

Yes. They have an excellent program.

14 hours ago, Saucey said:

The Aviators are were you go when you can't make a team or are convinced everyone placed your kid wrong. I doubt the Renegades are worried.

Use to be that way!  Take a look at some of their teams and you will see that they are doing something right!  10UAA 3rd, 12UAA 1st & 6th, 14U AMajor Black 3rd.  Smart people will look to alternate programs with good coaches!

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Use to be that way!  Take a look at some of their teams and you will see that they are doing something right!  10UAA 3rd, 12UAA 1st & 6th, 14U AMajor Black 3rd.  Smart people will look to alternate programs with good coaches!

Really?

https://myhockeyrankings.com/association_info.php?a=1017&y=2022

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 10.59.40 AM.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 10.58.53 AM.jpeg

Edited by fafa fohi

47 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Yes really!  You cherry picked some rankings from MHYR!  What about how they are ranked in the PAHL?  Further I think that ranking in PeeWee 12th out of 153 is very good!  They are not trying to be a Faux AAA organization like Preds!  They are a nice solid group now.

6 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Yes really!  You cherry picked some rankings from MHYR!  What about how they are ranked in the PAHL?  Further I think that ranking in PeeWee 12th out of 153 is very good!  They are not trying to be a Faux AAA organization like Preds!  They are a nice solid group now.

You never said "PAHL rankings" as I never thought there was such a thing.  PAHL standings exist yes, PAHL rankings there is no such thing.

Time to move on.

On 2/4/2023 at 3:42 AM, aaaahockey said:

104 for a AA team is pretty good.....

104 is very good considering they are playing PAHL instead of playing the rankings game like a lot of independent organizations play.  You know, play independent and try to play really high ranked teams to stay ranked higher.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:02 PM, fafa fohi said:

You never said "PAHL rankings" as I never thought there was such a thing.  PAHL standings exist yes, PAHL rankings there is no such thing.

Time to move on.

You are right!  Sorry should have clarified my post better as I was talking about current PAHL standings.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kid310050 said:

Esmark has poster their tryout dates and it looks like they are using both PIA and Printscape. 

https://www.esmarkstars.com/tryouts-information

A lot of interesting things here. Maybe this needs a new thread. Esmark mentioning a split (games and practices) between PIA and Printscape. That for sure means that a second sheet is coming to Printscape, because talking to people who play out of that rink, they're always limited by the amount of available ice. Lots of Rebellion teams (I know they make cuts because of a lack of ice) and 3 or 4 school programs play out of there.

I'll start a new thread because I think they want this to stay focused on just the announcements.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1