Wait a second.......

The U11 Esmark Team shutout Pens Black 2-0 this past weekend on the way to a championship weekend and has beaten them 3 of 4 this year. Lets keep in mind that the majority of the Pens Black Team has had the "World Class" Development in Cranberry for 4 years (1 yr Little 66ers and 3 years Pens Black + most do Excel). The Esmark 2011s are a first year team that have multiple 2012s playing up, kids that hadn't played AAA before this season, and even a few kids that were cut from Pens Black along the way.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RMU Alum said:

The U11 Esmark Team shutout Pens Black 2-0 this past weekend on the way to a championship weekend and has beaten them 3 of 4 this year. Lets keep in mind that the majority of the Pens Black Team has had the "World Class" Development in Cranberry for 4 years (1 yr Little 66ers and 3 years Pens Black + most do Excel). The Esmark 2011s are a first year team that have multiple 2012s playing up, kids that hadn't played AAA before this season, and even a few kids that were cut from Pens Black along the way.  

Good to hear! Hopefully more people will see this and realize there are options for top quality hockey in Western PA!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Good to hear! Hopefully more people will see this and realize there are options for top quality hockey in Western PA!

I think it's been said here ad nauseum, including by myself.  I think the location is the biggest issue here.  If Esmark were to move to Printscape or RMU or anywhere else for that matter, they'd get alot more interest.  My friend swears by the coaching and practice models (the opposite of what we've heard about other orgs).  He just hates driving out there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ihearthockey said:

I think it's been said here ad nauseum, including by myself.  I think the location is the biggest issue here.  If Esmark were to move to Printscape or RMU or anywhere else for that matter, they'd get alot more interest.  My friend swears by the coaching and practice models (the opposite of what we've heard about other orgs).  He just hates driving out there.  

I agree completely. Good program, good coaching, good model, but with an awful location that will always hold them back. Especially with how/where the city has grown and developed the past 10-15 years.

If Esmark doesn't move (doubt they will) I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Black Bear will start a Tier 1 program in a much better location like Southpointe. There's precedent for this with Black Bear. That would put a serious squeeze on SHAHA and Preds.

Edited by RJUSHL

11 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

I agree completely. Good program, good coaching, good model, but with an awful location that will always hold them back. Especially with how/where the city has grown and developed the past 10-15 years.

If Esmark doesn't move (doubt they will) I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Black Bear will start a Tier 1 program in a much better location like Southpointe. There's precedent for this with Black Bear. That would put a serious squeeze on SHAHA and Preds.

But will Black Bear be able to put together a coaching staff and practice model better than Esmark?  Obvious right now that kids are willing to travel to that awful place for good coaching! If they ever get 28 fixed it's not a bad drive from the South Hills!  Maybe if Black Bear can get Taibi from SHAHA to start a program at Southpointe it would be worth looking at.

9 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

But will Black Bear be able to put together a coaching staff and practice model better than Esmark?  Obvious right now that kids are willing to travel to that awful place for good coaching! If they ever get 28 fixed it's not a bad drive from the South Hills!  Maybe if Black Bear can get Taibi from SHAHA to start a program at Southpointe it would be worth looking at.

They do own a USHL team, an NAHL team, and maybe even an EHL team. So that's like Tier I, Tier II, and Tier III junior teams. So they certainly have the capability, the question is whether they would devote the time/energy/resources to get it going.

Edited by RJUSHL

36 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

They do own a USHL team, an NAHL team, and maybe even an EHL team. So that's like Tier I, Tier II, and Tier III junior teams. So they certainly have the capability, the question is whether they would devote the time/energy/resources to get it going.

Good Point!  The next 5 to 10 years will be interesting in SWPA Hockey circles!

From what I was told, there will be a 2nd sheet at Printscape for 2023-24 and the Stars will be splitting practice and games at both Printscape/PGH Ice.  However, they will still be based out of PGH Ice and have no plans on completely leaving as they are currently building out the former Chatham locker room for them.

58 minutes ago, ANKLEBENDER said:

From what I was told, there will be a 2nd sheet at Printscape for 2023-24 and the Stars will be splitting practice and games at both Printscape/PGH Ice.  However, they will still be based out of PGH Ice and have no plans on completely leaving as they are currently building out the former Chatham locker room for them.

News to me...  What's your source?   Seems they would have a lot of extra ice to rent with the Vipers booted from the location.

Edited by bb2j3z

1 hour ago, bb2j3z said:

News to me...  What's your source?   Seems they would have a lot of extra ice to rent with the Vipers booted from the location.

I'm guessing you mean the part about Esmark using ice at Printscape is news to you? That does seem kinda wild.

Is the second sheet at Printscape happening from what you've been told?

2 hours ago, bb2j3z said:

1 hour ago, RJUSHL said:

I'm guessing you mean the part about Esmark using ice at Printscape is news to you? That does seem kinda wild.

Is the second sheet at Printscape happening from what you've been told?

Both from a person in the Black Bear organization.

Ok. 
In the theme of the thread..

WAIT A SECOND…..

Esmark 11U can play a whole weekend of what everyone likes to call “faux” AAA and this is somehow this is declared some kind of victory? Tri State is #178 and the Pens are #70. But I guess since it’s the B team of the vaunted  Pens organization it’s legit? 
Hey… with the roster makeup that someone stated earlier good for them. That said, can’t have it both ways here people. If any other local organization claimed that they had “won” that weekend they would be ridiculed and the whole thing would have been downplayed and/or written off.

Esmark had always been the bullies of the block  after Pens from PW on but they always had first pick after PPE at PW minor. Unfortunately this season there were at least 5-6 other established or semi established 10U BY options (AA and AAA) on both sides of the city.
Many people decided to stay put and for the first time Esmark has to gradually build. I’m sure Pens black people chasing that extra A will be heading there but some will probably look to go elsewhere as well. 
After being on their high horse for so many years Esmark has to work their way up for the first time and I’m curious to see how it all shakes out. 

On a side bar. Can somebody please start a thread…

”I’M REALLY NOT INVOLVED WITH THE REBELLION BUT IM HERE TO REMIND EVERYONE THAT ONLYA A PRINTSCAPE(SECOND SHEET! maybe…)BLACK BEAR/TEAM ON THE 79 CORRIDOR WILL SAVE THE SOUTH HILLS AND INSTANTLY CREATE A VIABLE AAA PROGRAM!”

Holy hell. We get the point. Ad nauseum…

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, muckerandgrinder said:

On a side bar. Can somebody please start a thread…

”I’M REALLY NOT INVOLVED WITH THE REBELLION BUT IM HERE TO REMIND EVERYONE THAT ONLYA A PRINTSCAPE(SECOND SHEET! maybe…)BLACK BEAR/TEAM ON THE 79 CORRIDOR WILL SAVE THE SOUTH HILLS AND INSTANTLY CREATE A VIABLE AAA PROGRAM!”

Holy hell. We get the point. Ad nauseum…

Haha, right on!

And Esmark 10u-14u have never really been relevant in AAA   

3 hours ago, bb2j3z said:

I have this on very good authority from several sources as well. As a matter of fact, it's almost common knowledge in some circles nowadays. If there isn't a second sheet there before next season I'll be surprised.

3 hours ago, stickboy said:

Haha, right on!

And Esmark 10u-14u have never really been relevant in AAA   

Esmark has never had 10u teams.

52 minutes ago, bb2j3z said:

The second sheet is indeed happening....  The part I was questioning was Esmark also renting ice at Printscape when they had plenty of ice at PIA.   

They really should announce it and promote it prior to tryout announcements. Like within the next couple of weeks.

They really shouldn’t announce it. Nobody wants to drive to Southpointe. Any program looking to operate out of Southpointe and draw kids from north, east and west of the city is going to fail. This whole fascination with organizations moving south of the city is delusion from people likely living south of city. 

Esmark doesn’t have to go anywhere if they don’t want. They have the title of being a viable organization for bantam and midget teams. People will go to them. If they are truly considering making their families drive back and forth between printscape and PIA then they  don’t deserve that title. 

• Like 2