2023-2024 Esmark (PIA & Printscape)

37 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Are they still going to have a way to cover this for things like box lax?  I'm assuming not but thought it would be worth asking. Might be a market for another indoor non ice training facility in the area if not. 

In the off season, it would convert to a multi-purpose facility for their other events like the reptile, gun shows, etc.   But not during the season, it would remain full ice.   I don't think they can do lacrosse any more.

3 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

Have the Rebellion seen an increase in tryout numbers? I would think the potential for lots of ice time with a second sheet would be a good selling point.

The south hills in general had a major ice time crunch. This should help alleviate some of that.

I know SHAHA and Lebo always seem to struggle to get all their teams enough ice with just one sheet. I think last year SHAHA had some teams with just one practice per week, which they found out about after tryouts. And Lebo may still shift some practices to RMU?

Things are good yes.  It helps when you visit the rink for tryouts you can see progress happening from both lobby levels.   We are adding a few more teams based on the current tryout numbers from what we anticipated which was initially 4-Squirt, 5-Peewee, 4-Bantam, 4-Midget (16U), 1-14U Girls, 1-16U Girls, 1 - 19U Girls, 1 - 18U Midget.

1 hour ago, bb2j3z said:

Things are good yes.  It helps when you visit the rink for tryouts you can see progress happening from both lobby levels.   We are adding a few more teams based on the current tryout numbers from what we anticipated which was initially 4-Squirt, 5-Peewee, 4-Bantam, 4-Midget (16U), 1-14U Girls, 1-16U Girls, 1 - 19U Girls, 1 - 18U Midget.

Thanks for the info!  I heard rumor that your 18U Midget team was going to be an Independent AAA team.  Any truth to that?

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Thanks for the info!  I heard rumor that your 18U Midget team was going to be an Independent AAA team.  Any truth to that?

No, it will play in PAHL AA with 20-30 independent game schedule.  It will be composed of 2005 and 2006's.   Link has team plan.

https://www.southpittsburghhockey.org/18u-aa-2005-2006-team-announcement/

There might be a team 2 at 18U.  Seeing that possibility with registration.

image.png.7b958e2165f4af9a0a06ce598e07634d.png

Edited by bb2j3z

33 minutes ago, bb2j3z said:

No, it will play in PAHL AA with 20-30 independent game schedule.  It will be composed of 2005 and 2006's.   Link has team plan.

https://www.southpittsburghhockey.org/18u-aa-2005-2006-team-announcement/

There might be a team 2 at 18U.  Seeing that possibility with registration.

image.png.7b958e2165f4af9a0a06ce598e07634d.png

Whoever puts your social media together does a really good job!  Makes me want to sign up!  Thanks for the info!

10 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Whoever puts your social media together does a really good job!  Makes me want to sign up!  Thanks for the info!

Agreed. All the team plans posted on the website for each BY and AA teams have specifics about coaches, tournaments, number of practices per week, etc. Nice job Rebellion. People aren't left wondering like many of the organizations. Seems like things changed there when they ditched the rat logo. And it's nice to have a board member in this forum providing information while still avoiding a lot of the nonsense.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, HockeyFan6687 said:

Will this help Esmark resurrect its teams that it lost this year and will wesee the temporary layover for some in PAHL now to end?

I'm sure there is going to be a Tier 1 program out of Printscape.

If it's going to be Esmark they better start planning right now. Still shocking they weren't able to put together a 2009 team. (On a positive note, those players are now scattered all over AA teams.) We'll see in a few months, but in general it seems like Esmark is fading. Countless examples of Preds, SHAHA, and Vengeance teams that are better than Esmark for a given age. Five years ago this was never the case.

The other option is for South Pittsburgh to start a Tier 1 program at Printscape. Their current leadership seems to be doing a nice job and have built up the program in the last few years with the rebrand.

I think the most likely option is that Black Bear starts their own Tier 1 program at Printscape with a completely separate brand from any Tier 2 programs. It's petty but that's a key. Black Bear has done this in the past and they want complete vertical integration in their rinks.

A Tier I program at Southpointe with a completely separate brand from any Tier II program would steal A LOT of kids from SHAHA and Preds. And it also adds a lot of teams to Black Bear's THF Tier I league.

2 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

A Tier I program at Southpointe with a completely separate brand from any Tier II program would steal A LOT of kids from SHAHA and Preds. And it also adds a lot of teams to Black Bear's THF Tier I league.

In my opinion this would rely on the coach and price point.  The big negative is the travel to make all the league play.  Positive might be playing the local THF teams. Preds are already in the THF. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

In my opinion this would rely on the coach and price point.  The big negative is the travel to make all the league play.  Positive might be playing the local THF teams. Preds are already in the THF. 

Do Icemen play AHF or THF?

4 minutes ago, JerryTime said:

11-14U AHF

15-18U THF

Is that year by year based on talent? Or is the current Icemen 09 team (14U) going after a Tier 2 championship for one year and then immediately going to Tier 1 next year?

6 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

We'll see in a few months, but in general it seems like Esmark is fading. Countless examples of Preds, SHAHA, and Vengeance teams that are better than Esmark for a given age. Five years ago this was never the case.

Not sure agree with this for midget ages, but will be interesting this year.

IMO, it will be hard for any program to jump Esmark as the No2 Tier 1 midget program in Pitt. A large portion of the second tier of AAA players go there with dreams of moving on to juniors.  While maybe not many, and typically only to Tier 2 juniors, they do have history of advancing some players.  It’s hard to go against that when selecting a team. Until another program can build and prove to provide the same, and better, it will be hard to pass them. Vengeance were potentially close to building the foundation for this with their 08s, but couldn’t keep that team together for their junior draft year this season.  It gets harder to convince people to go against the grain as the years of eligibility dwindle. 

For Black Bear or anyone else to break in and be competitive and successful they are going to need a top hockey director and coaching staff.  Let’s face it, Pittsburgh doesn’t have an over abundance of these types.  Without credibility and proven staff, what is going to make any new Tier 1 program more competitive than Preds, SHAHA, etc?  The players are still going to be the same.  I guess Blackbear could have the connections to bring in the right people? But that will come with fees closer to those in larger markets, and it will take several years to get to where you want them to be.  Then you have to make sure the better players that you developed stick around in midgets. 

50 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Update on PIA and Printscape Ice!   I'm pretty sure PIA was putting ice down over the weekend.  Not sure about Printscape!  No livebarn listed yet!

Must be some delay at Printscape. They have the logos on the concrete but no paint or ice down yet.