Montour Hockey

2 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

That's not the point, if the coach/organization did not file the proper paperwork because he is not an actual resident of the district then it was illegal for him to play. I see the same billet kid at my kids school everyday too, it doesn't mean he is eligible to play for their school team.

He lives in the district and attends the school, what more do you want 

1 hour ago, zam said:

I think the fancy word "Billet" has people confused on here. Let's just call it what it is, a six month sleep-over.  He's here sleeping over his teammates house. He's not from Montour, he's not a resident, he likely goes back to his parents house on the weekends, holidays, winter break, spring break. As soon as the his Amateur season is over he likely goes back to his real permanent residence and school there.  Maybe he stops getting along with this teammates family and next year he comes back and he moves in with a teammate in Moon.  So then does he just get to go to school in Moon and start playing for Moon because that's the house he's staying at?

Does this explain why they have a rule for this situation?

The way I see it, yes he should, as long as you attend and are living in the district you should be allowed to play for them

2 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

That's not the point, if the coach/organization did not file the proper paperwork because he is not an actual resident of the district then it was illegal for him to play. I see the same billet kid at my kids school everyday too, it doesn't mean he is eligible to play for their school team.

Then If that’s the situation then why was the same exact roster approved at the beginning of the season, but all of a sudden before playoffs it is not good?

1 minute ago, Yalldumb said:

The way I see it, yes he should, as long as you attend and are living in the district you should be allowed to play for them

This is simply not the way it works, anywhere for any sport. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is school tax revenue created by single family households.  This is actually part of the reason that Aliquippa has had to play “up” in football… too many students moving into the district.  
Let’s remember that Montour got moved down to “A” BEFORE this player was on the roster and probably used the “our goalie graduated” as one of the reasons for their case to move down. 

5 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

This is simply not the way it works, anywhere for any sport. There are many reasons for this, not the least of which is school tax revenue created by single family households.  This is actually part of the reason that Aliquippa has had to play “up” in football… too many students moving into the district.  
Let’s remember that Montour got moved down to “A” BEFORE this player was on the roster and probably used the “our goalie graduated” as one of the reasons for their case to move down. 

The actual reason we got moved down before he was rostered was because we had 1 goalie. 1 goalie to play jv and varsity, and then long after that the second goalie came along 

13 minutes ago, Yalldumb said:

The actual reason we got moved down before he was rostered was because we had 1 goalie. 1 goalie to play jv and varsity, and then long after that the second goalie came along 

…Because a kid who was the backup last year as a junior quit.  Forgot about that?  Also, 8 seniors on Montour this season.  Last season QV played the entire season with 1 goalie who was a freshman.  

1 hour ago, Yalldumb said:

Then If that’s the situation then why was the same exact roster approved at the beginning of the season, but all of a sudden before playoffs it is not good?

Hi kid - they do roster checks before the playoffs. Same thing happens for mid-am’s by usa hockey for the district tournaments, this is when most violations are found. 

The montour board & coach are not being very open with their memebers imo. PIHL informed the board over a week ago there was a problem, This issue did not just recently surface. The board choose not to disclose this to its members until the morning of. The argument from the board & coach regarding the transfer player is very weak imo. It’s definitely a midnight scramble. 

Don’t worry, my prediction (this is not fact, just how I see it from being around so long) - If PIHL holds firm on their current decision of DQ, pihl is not going to want to deal with the threatened litigation from the montour parent attorney. This would hold the playoffs up, attorney fees, ice time already booked, etc.  (it appears to pay to live in a wealthy district - you get a few attorney’s who’s kids play) 

Edited by Danner27

5 hours ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

…Because a kid who was the backup last year as a junior quit.  Forgot about that?  Also, 8 seniors on Montour this season.  Last season QV played the entire season with 1 goalie who was a freshman.  

He didn’t “quit” jag he had multiple knee injuries, know your shit and don’t be a pinecone

4 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Hi kid - they do roster checks before the playoffs. Same thing happens for mid-am’s by usa hockey for the district tournaments, this is when most violations are found. 

The montour board & coach are not being very open with their memebers imo. PIHL informed the board over a week ago there was a problem, This issue did not just recently surface. The board choose not to disclose this to its members until the morning of. The argument from the board & coach regarding the transfer player is very weak imo. It’s definitely a midnight scramble. 

Don’t worry, my prediction (this is not fact, just how I see it from being around so long) - If PIHL holds firm on their current decision of DQ, pihl is not going to want to deal with the threatened litigation from the montour parent attorney. This would hold the playoffs up, attorney fees, ice time already booked, etc.  (it appears to pay to live in a wealthy district - you get a few attorney’s who’s kids play) 

Didn’t answer my question of, if it was good then, why isn’t it good now, and also know what your talking about because the attorney is not any of our players parents

1 hour ago, Yalldumb said:

Didn’t answer my question of, if it was good then, why isn’t it good now, and also know what your talking about because the attorney is not any of our players parents

I'm just speculating here, but perhaps the league trusts that each team's coach, manager and registrar is truthful and accurate in the paperwork they submit.  It looks like they have about 50 varsity teams, 50 JV teams and 50 middle school teams each with 10 to 20 players. So is it on PIHL to go do background checks on all 2500 players? Knock on doors and make sure they actually live there? Check birth certificates? 

The threat of fines and forfeiture is there to keep the teams honest. It's the same consequence that keeps a team from bringing in a college player and putting him in someone else's jersey and playing in a game. The refs aren't checking ID and running DNA tests before the games, they trust the adults have followed the rules.

Hey next time you get pulled over for speeding, tell the cop, "you didn't catch me speeding Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday why is it suddenly not alright today?"   Better Yet, Get your attorney to tell that to the judge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Danner27 said:

Montour has the right to appeal to Arbitrator and should do so 

History is Quaker Valley had similar situation with Ohio Goalie in 2012 and won states 

When a roster is submitted at the beginning of the year there is a series of check boxes next to each players name where the registrar has to indicate if the player is a transfer, foreign exchange, or cyber/homeschool. This is how the league knows it’s a special case they have to review. I suspect that the M board did not check anything next to this player under the plan to play dumb. If any of their board members ever read the rules this would have raised a red flag. Some on their board probably new this day was coming long before most think they did. 

They played the game a lost. Deal with it. The scary thing is they played the game with other peoples’ money!  They may need that attorney after all. 

Edited by stickboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stickboy said:

When a roster is submitted at the beginning of the year there is a series of check boxes next to each players name where the registrar has to indicate if the player is a transfer, foreign exchange, or cyber/homeschool. This is how the league knows it’s a special case they have to review. I suspect that the M board did not check anything next to this player under the plan to play dumb. If any of their board members ever read the rules this would have raised a red flag. Some on their board probably new this day was coming long before most think they did. 

They played the game a lost. Deal with it. The scary thing is they played the game with other peoples’ money!  They may need that attorney after all. 

They may have been able to "try" and play dumb if they didn't have 2 other infractions that they were suspended for this season in using an unrostered coach and dressing to many players for a game. Those both could easily say they knew exactly what they were doing with this kid.

• Like 1

Everyone just stop replying to "Yalldumb" it is clearly a young kid that lacks the basic skills of understanding what's right and what's wrong. He will continue to repeat himself even when people give him the perfect answer to his questions but because he doesn't understand or doesn't WANT to understand he just keeps arguing the same thing over and over again.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, stickboy said:

Montours main argument - the goalie was not a transfer player. So it sounds like the box for transfer student was never checked. The montour coach’s  reasoning behind this -  due to the age of the player along with it being summer when he “moved” to thier district, the player is not a transfer. 

very weak argument that was tossed together at the last minute after reading the pihl rules imo. 

Edited by Danner27

The goalie billet with person in charge of Montour Hockey ?

If this is true what is the relationship there how did he recruit this goalie from Ohio is it a relationship?

Why would you play for Esmark U 14 team.

Kids flock there at U15 and up not at Bantam.

Excuse me if Im missing something thats how I am reading this.

1 hour ago, Pucks11 said:

Everyone just stop replying to "Yalldumb" it is clearly a young kid that lacks the basic skills of understanding what's right and what's wrong. He will continue to repeat himself even when people give him the perfect answer to his questions but because he doesn't understand or doesn't WANT to understand he just keeps arguing the same thing over and over again.

12 minutes ago, Ihearthockey said:

Whatever the outcome is, it should be public soon.  "A" play in games start 2/27.

I keep circling back to this and it makes me think nothing will happen. Once the lawyers get involved everything will get dragged out and PIHL will probably be forced to let things stay the way they are.

9 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

The goalie billet with person in charge of Montour Hockey ?

If this is true what is the relationship there how did he recruit this goalie from Ohio is it a relationship?

Why would you play for Esmark U 14 team.

Kids flock there at U15 and up not at Bantam.

Excuse me if Im missing something thats how I am reading this.

The goalie billets with montour player who already plays for esmark, I believe this is the montour team manager family. Both kids play U15 at esmark. 

1 minute ago, Icebucket said:

I keep circling back to this and it makes me think nothing will happen. Once the lawyers get involved everything will get dragged out and PIHL will probably be forced to let things stay the way they are.

Correct, This is my feeling too.