Montour Hockey

2 hours ago, LGP13 said:

I think from a logical standpoint you have to agree with what Montour is arguing in this situation. This kid is here on a visa from another country (correct?) and for the most part all he knows is his club team he plays for. If the billet he lives with, lives in the school district and that is the school he goes to_ this could be his only real outlet to connect with kids that he goes to school with. Imagine moving across the world to play hockey as a young kid, billeting with people you barely know, going to school with kids you don't know and have to adapt to their culture. Probably doesn't speak the language well. His team and hockey are the only thing he can use to connect with the kids around his age and school. The only thing that the kid is thinking is that he wants to play hockey for the school he goes to so he can use it to create bonds and friendships with the other kids. You are all right no one comes here to play PIHL hockey, but if a kid that has nothing in a foreign land can use it as a tool to connect and bond with the people he is living with_ I'd say that's waaayy bigger and more important than the actual game itself.

Now with that said, I think we all have to understand that there are people that don't really have empathy for anyone else and their motives are all about what can benefit them. To think that someone won't use loopholes or break the rules to benefit themselves is foolish. That's why there are rules in place for situations like this. Like a previous poster said, I really do hope everything checks out and the rules were followed, because if they weren't the ripple effect of someone trying to manipulate the situation to benefit themselves for single a high school hockey in western PA is really damaging. The foreign kid that was trying to use the sport he plays to build a bond with his school and peers will now be vilified if they get disqualified and it will create an opposite effect.  He'll feel terrible because all he knows is he was trying to find something in common with people and use it to "star status" himself at a school where he knows no one. All the other kids on the team that worked hard to make the playoffs for their school team will now not be able to play in them...what if they are seniors... That is a lot to risk breaking the rules. On the flip side the same set of standards goes for the teams that wouldn't make the playoffs. Imagine being a senior on that team and a rival team suddenly gets an elite goalie and they nearly go undefeated as they push you from the playoffs. That doesn't seem fair either.

As long as the rules were followed there should be a paper trail. Through the school's team board, through PIHLs board. This is why rules are put in place, because while it does seem silly to not "just let the kid play" you need to think of the other teams and kids that are affected by that statement. Especially if it is someone that_ someone else is basically using to benefit themselves or coaching resume.  I don't know if that is the situation, but again, follow the rules. Don't cheat. Do the right thing.

The kid in question is not here on a education visa through USA hockey  - he’s from a different state.

32 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

The kid in question is not here on a education visa through USA hockey  - he’s from a different state.

I assumed, from everyone saying he played at Esmark. My mistake. Most of what I said is still relevant.

Edited by LGP13

30 minutes ago, Overqualified said:

Right after Montour beats QV

This happens 

Typical Quinn

QV was 5 points out with 2 games left, what do they gain with Montour being disqualified? Nothing as there are 2 teams in front of them before Montour so the first round bye is out.

Yes it would suck if kids lose out because of adult decisions but those same adults were given the power to make those choices for the kids by their parents. 

Like many people have said there are rules for a reason if Montour followed them and have the paperwork to prove then good for them and play on but if not oh well.

Montour was already busted this year and served suspensions for an unrostered coach and dressing to many players for a game. I would say rostering a player that shouldn't have been on the team is not below this team or coaching staff.

Edited by Pucks11
  • Like 1
  • Barf 1

22 hours ago, Hoxkeydad said:

Just trying to help with all the inaccurate statements.  Some of the insinuations on here are kind of mind boggling.  Recruiting for PIHL hockey…AAA organizations placing kids in districts….billeting to recruit kids.  I could go on and on.   It’s amazing.  BTW I’m not a Montour parent and do not live in district.  

I don't know any of the mechanics but do know he lives in the district and attended school at montour, rosters were approved, he was approved by previous commissioner to play, and was NOT recruited placed or billeted for Montour hockey.  He just was excited to play a little HS hockey when he had time (10 games total but coach would have loved to play him all 20 if he was available) and happened to be pretty good so let’s screw that up.  BTW there are a LOT of AAA kids playing A hockey in PIHL so it’s not like he was some ringer.  
I’ll let all of you play this out in your minds now and won’t bother your board any further.  

So now that it is Districts and such, since he was just “playing for fun”, he won’t be the goalie for them in the PIHL playoffs.  You know, since he just did it for fun, right?

They should direct their hostility towards their own Registrar (and President) if that person did not check the “Transfer” box next to the players name on the team registration. If that was done I don’t see how any of this would be an issue now as the follow up steps to decide the player’s eligibility would have been completed prior to their roster being approved. 

2 minutes ago, stickboy said:

They should direct their hostility towards their own Registrar (and President) if that person did not check the “Transfer” box next to the players name on the team registration. If that was done I don’t see how any of this would be an issue now as the follow up steps to decide the player’s eligibility would have been completed prior to their roster being approved. 

I agree that the parents anger should be directed towards their own board.  However, I'd think that had they went through the process the player would have been told he had to sit out this year.  And then who knows where the team lands without him.

24 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

Heard The Montour parents were lined up at Ice Castle before the hearing dressed up in their black and gold trying to intimidate the PIHL Judges.

According to the Montour parents here, none of them even care enough about HS hockey to bring a player in to win.  Seems silly to all march down to Ice Castle for something you don't care about.

• ROTF 1

1 minute ago, Icebucket said:

I agree that the parents anger should be directed towards their own board.  However, I'd think that had they went through the process the player would have been told he had to sit out this year.  And then who knows where the team lands without him.

Ironically I bet they still make the playoffs.  The other goalie was pretty solid in a very competitive division. 

Just now, Ihearthockey said:

Ironically I bet they still make the playoffs.  The other goalie was pretty solid in a very competitive division. 

I don't doubt that at all.  It really would be a shame if the board ruined it for the players who likely could have been okay without pulling this stunt.

4 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

According to the Montour parents here, none of them even care enough about HS hockey to bring a player in to win.  Seems silly to all march down to Ice Castle for something you don't care about.

According to everyone defending Montour on here NONE of them are affiliated with Montour.

Heard Ice Castle had police on standby besides just for a game.

40 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

I don't doubt that at all.  It really would be a shame if the board ruined it for the players who likely could have been okay without pulling this stunt.

Tough to know, it doesn't look like the other goalie has any wins against top teams but I didn't do a scientific analysis. And I'm sure that's also a coincidence.

Just heard PIHL let those Montour parents in that hearing last night and it got crazy.

Why would PIHL let those parents in there.

Montour is facing.

$2500 fine and they would have to forfeit 10 games he played that makes them out of the playoffs.

Also if they lose this case Montour would have to cancel JV playoffs don’t have enough money for playoffs ice time.

Plus they will fight this in court attorney already lined up. You have $$$ there High School Hockey Clubs don’t have this kind money.

Why hasn’t Montour AD step in ?

1 hour ago, Ihearthockey said:

Wait a second…

the other goalie…

.836 save percentage 

gave up 4 goals each time he started vs Wheeling Park (who won zero total games)

played the majority of his games vs the bottom teams   Lost to QV 4-1 in his only start vs a team that made the playoffs   

so, um, not really “pretty solid”

7 minutes ago, hockey57410 said:

Hasn’t the board made enough mistakes already? Who is running that place?

Not only the board but the coaches. Montour has already had 2 previous suspensions this season for none rostered coaches and to many players dressed. It sucks for the kids but the adults made the decisios coaches and board. If they are found to have done something wrong with this goalie it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise. 

Just now, Theroadtobeerleague said:

Wait a second…

the other goalie…

.836 save percentage 

gave up 4 goals each time he started vs Wheeling Park (who won zero total games)

played the majority of his games vs the bottom teams   Lost to QV 4-1 in his only start vs a team that made the playoffs   

so, um, not really “pretty solid”

Solid or not their argument that they didn't have enough goalies when 3 are rostered is BS. Other teams played the entire year with 1 goalie between JV and V.