Montour Hockey

19 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

Wait a second…

the other goalie…

.836 save percentage 

gave up 4 goals each time he started vs Wheeling Park (who won zero total games)

played the majority of his games vs the bottom teams   Lost to QV 4-1 in his only start vs a team that made the playoffs   

so, um, not really “pretty solid”

Well, I guess we will never know

30 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

Just heard PIHL let those Montour parents in that hearing last night and it got crazy.

Why would PIHL let those parents in there.

Montour is facing.

$2500 fine and they would have to forfeit 10 games he played that makes them out of the playoffs.

Also if they lose this case Montour would have to cancel JV playoffs don’t have enough money for playoffs ice time.

Plus they will fight this in court attorney already lined up. You have $$$ there High School Hockey Clubs don’t have this kind money.

Why hasn’t Montour AD step in ?

They can afford an attorney but not JV playoffs?  ?

• Like 1
  • Poop 2

30 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

Not only the board but the coaches. Montour has already had 2 previous suspensions this season for none rostered coaches and to many players dressed. It sucks for the kids but the adults made the decisios coaches and board. If they are found to have done something wrong with this goalie it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise. 

QV didnt face those kind of roster issues: ended the season with 14 skaters (grades 9 through 12, 6 of whom were freshmen).  No JV.  

35 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

Just heard PIHL let those Montour parents in that hearing last night and it got crazy.

Montour is facing.

$2500 fine and they would have to forfeit 10 games he played that makes them out of the playoffs.

Also if they lose this case Montour would have to cancel JV playoffs don’t have enough money for playoffs ice time.

Plus they will fight this in court attorney already lined up. You have $$$ there High School Hockey Clubs don’t have this kind money.

The JV team with 3 wins this year won't be able to afford playoff ice?  Oh my, cue up the Jim Mora clip...

They should just expand the Co-op division playoffs and let the varsity team play there. 

Parent: “hey coach, did you know that a player from Ohio is billeting with a family in our district and playing AAA hockey. We should get him to play on our varsity team”

Coach: “well, that would be great, but it is against the rules, and for good reason. If it were allowed, schools and teams would be able to essentially roster players from anywhere, as long as they were billeting. For example, imagine if every AAA player who billets was also able to roster on a high school team.  That would create unfair competition, especially at the A level, and especially since the divisions are determined by the previous season result and roster information submitted by each school.”

parent: “ok, thanks for clarifying that.  It makes sense”

Open…shut. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

6 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

Parent: “hey coach, did you know that a player from Ohio is billeting with a family in our district and playing AAA hockey. We should get him to play on our varsity team”

Coach: “well, that would be great, but it is against the rules, and for good reason. If it were allowed, schools and teams would be able to essentially roster players from anywhere, as long as they were billeting. For example, imagine if every AAA player who billets was also able to roster on a high school team.  That would create unfair competition, especially at the A level, and especially since the divisions are determined by the previous season result and roster information submitted by each school.”

Open…shut. 

2 questions:

Are there a lot of kids billeting in western PA that do not play for PPE?  You say imagine if every kid that plays aaa and billets could roster for high school.  I think you severely overestimate the number of kids being billeted in this area.

Why is the rule different for foreign vs domestic kids?

6 minutes ago, Theroadtobeerleague said:

Open…shut. 

Or, and I have no knowledge or basis for saying this, but perhaps in this situation if it in fact was an unintentional ‘violation’-

Coach: Great! That would help a lot! Let’s put him on the roster and see if PIHL approves it! (Without researching rules or going through eligibility protocol which it sounds like is in fact in place procedurally)

This really sucks for the kids. All of them- goalie included. I really do hope, if this ineligibility determination is in fact final, he’s got people supporting him. It certainly isn’t his fault. 

9 minutes ago, Stackthepads said:

2 questions:

Are there a lot of kids billeting in western PA that do not play for PPE?  You say imagine if every kid that plays aaa and billets could roster for high school.  I think you severely overestimate the number of kids being billeted in this area.

Why is the rule different for foreign vs domestic kids?

By my estimation, PPE alone, for high school aged boys only; probably has 15 kids billeting. Some kids billet from only 1-2 hours away (ie johnstown) to Pittsburgh for the week only (go home on weekends) to make commute to North Catholic more doable. 

You could billet to a family 10 min down the road if you want. Maybe 2-3 days a week too! That’s why I 100% support this rule. Otherwise, you could jump from one school to another easily simply by saying you’re billeting, not ‘transferring’

Edited by Jkersman01
Editing because my spelling is awful….
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

By my estimation, PPE alone, for high school aged boys only; probably has 15 kids billeting. Some kids billet from only 1-2 hours away (ie johnstown) to Pittsburgh for the week only (go home on weekends) to make commute to North Catholic more doable. 

You could billet to a family 10 min down the road if you want. Maybe 2-3 days a week too! That’s why I 100% support this rule. Otherwise, you could jump from one school to another easily simply by saying you’re billeting, not ‘transferring’

PPE kids are not permitted to play high school hockey so that’s why I asked about numbers excluding them.

15 minutes ago, Chinstrap said:

Where are the PPE players rostered?

You can go to the AAA team websites (SHAHA, Esmark, Vengeance, PPE, Preds), and look at their rosters. They’re mostly all published, then go to PIHL rosters and cross reference. It’s all public info. I’m not going to make this about any high school team or organization. You can do that if you want. 

3 hours ago, PeterThePuck said:

Montour is facing.

Anybody else been able to confirm this yet? Certainly not alleging this is fabricated at all, just curious if it is out there yet…

1 hour ago, PeterThePuck said:

Where is Montour AD at with all this going on.

He should pull this team from the playoffs and remove the parents in charge.

That’s the big problem with High School Hockey parents run it rough shot AD are silent don’t want bother cause its not PIAA.

As you know hockey is a club sport.  Zero school sponsorship.  Montour does not even mention ice hockey on their website under athletics.  Should they remove the parents in charge and then just fold the program?  Who do you expect to take charge?  Do other schools have an AD that is highly involved in their hockey program?  

3 hours ago, Jkersman01 said:

He is transferred -he attends the school, daily 

On 2/21/2023 at 8:18 PM, hockey57410 said:

Montour dad had to hurry to the board meeting that’s why he had to “bow out”

It’s funny how it’s somehow about this kid just trying to have fun.  If that’s the case, he played the games so he had his fun.  Too bad it was at the expense of the other kids who actually live there.  I hope the board and coaches are happy they may have ruined a season for their own egos.

ita looking more like old clay wasn’t the problem like the board and JV parents claimed  

He lives in the district… I’ve seen him walking around the school 

12 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Yalldumb now the (at least) 4th Montour parent (although I'm starting to think some of these people might be kids based on the IQ of the posts) to join in the last few days.  Membership boom for the forums!

Oh no, people from Montour coming in to protect there own name, we gotta cry about it now!

• Uh, Ok 1

25 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Yalldumb now the (at least) 4th Montour parent (although I'm starting to think some of these people might be kids based on the IQ of the posts) to join in the last few days.  Membership boom for the forums!

At least this one is actually admitting they are from Montour and not just saying they have no dog in the fight.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yalldumb said:

He lives in the district… I’ve seen him walking around the school 

That's not the point, if the coach/organization did not file the proper paperwork because he is not an actual resident of the district then it was illegal for him to play. I see the same billet kid at my kids school everyday too, it doesn't mean he is eligible to play for their school team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yalldumb said:

He is transferred -he attends the school, daily 

I think the fancy word "Billet" has people confused on here. Let's just call it what it is, a six month sleep-over.  He's here sleeping over his teammates house. He's not from Montour, he's not a resident, he likely goes back to his parents house on the weekends, holidays, winter break, spring break. As soon as the his Amateur season is over he likely goes back to his real permanent residence and school there.  Maybe he stops getting along with this teammates family and next year he comes back and he moves in with a teammate in Moon.  So then does he just get to go to school in Moon and start playing for Moon because that's the house he's staying at?

Does this explain why they have a rule for this situation?

• Like 1
  • 100 1