MidAms

While PIHL determines the fate of the Montour Varsity team for this season, I thought it would be a good idea to add a little levity and start a new thread for MidAms as they begin next week.  Some of the local teams in Tier 1 other than PPE have a good shot at advancing to natty's.

But in viewing their ever-so advanced website from the 1980’s, it’s clear the one who writes for this site can’t spell a lick.  I guess the Word Processor they use to create these pages does not have spell check.

Yikes. 

5C38EFF8-ECC9-40EE-9207-5F6C413FC50C.jpeg

Edited by fafa fohi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ROTF 1

34 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

How good are the MidAm tryout camps? I'm assuming those are invite only?

Your organization selects your kid. So the Icemen, for example, send whoever wants to go it would seem. Other organizations are a bit more discerning.

Teams are set and the kids play games. Some teams are pretty bad. The 'sorting' process should be a little more focused, I think, more vetting. My family found it to be a huge waste of time and money.

1 hour ago, Saucey said:

Your organization selects your kid. So the Icemen, for example, send whoever wants to go it would seem. Other organizations are a bit more discerning.

Teams are set and the kids play games. Some teams are pretty bad. The 'sorting' process should be a little more focused, I think, more vetting. My family found it to be a huge waste of time and money.

Was a total waste of time for us, going for 2 days to Ohio.

AA Son (goalie) was selected who was the top 18uAA goalie at that org at the time out of ~12 goalies at that level.  Had the 2nd best save % during all the preliminary events (I tracked all their shots/saves the whole weekend as I was bored and I was a former goalie dad LOL).

Wasn't even picked as one of the top 4 goalies to go the final game for the final choices.

Conversely one of the 2 goalies picked was the "tall goalie" from PPE who now I think plays in Erie.  He put in very little effort at the tryouts and frankly stunk but was picked to go on.  The only possible way this could happen is that this kid knew he was advancing and didn't give a crap of an effort.

Both of us agreed it was all pre-picked and a total waste of a hotel and the time spent that weekend.

He got a nice goalie jersey to wear out of it.  Wore a few times and into the closet with all the other 50 camp jerseys.

So glad we're beyond that!

Edited by Wes

5 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

While PIHL determines the fate of the Montour Varsity team for this season, I thought it would be a good idea to add a little levity and start a new thread for MidAms as they begin next week.  Some of the local teams in Tier 1 other than PPE have a good shot at advancing to natty's.

But in viewing their ever-so advanced website from the 1980’s, it’s clear the one who writes for this site can’t spell a lick.  I guess the Word Processor they use to create these pages does not have spell check.

Yikes. 

5C38EFF8-ECC9-40EE-9207-5F6C413FC50C.jpeg

Patients. SMFH!!

And more than likely waiting for the PPE to tell them when they want the 16's and17's to take place.

• Like 1

My kid did the MidAm camp twice. First time (16s), had some really good games, played with some good kids - thought it was worth it just for that. Second time (17s), play was much more sloppy and I think a lot of the better kids were just going through the motions as they knew they were moving on. I kind of regretted doing it the second time.

There was little question that certain kids from the big dog organizations (Mission, LC, PPE) were going through no matter how they played early on. But, there were also some real head scratcher picks for the all-star game which makes me think that some are actually picked based on evaluations, but I'm not sure the evaluators are very good at what they do. This isn't some kind of jaded comment, my kid is a goalie and I'm talking about the skaters - I watched pretty much every game (as a coach knew many of the players as well) and did my own evaluations - there were a few picks for the all-star game that made no sense at all. 

For Tier 2 U18 Mt. Lebo is probably the favorite while at U16 its seems to be pretty competitive with Allegheny Ind, NP and SCIR as the top three contenders.  If NP advances this will be the second time in three years they would advance to nationals.

For Tier 1 - the big question is how many at-large bids will underachieving PPE teams get once they are eliminated at MidAms?  

• 100 1

I have said many times that, for an unbiased tryout, they should provide shells & socks and require black or white helmets with no team logos for these "tryouts". When I coached and evaluated tryouts players asked me what they could do to "get noticed". I told players going to tryouts to get some bright colored socks that would stand out then do your best because the eye is drawn to what stands out. If they were doing good things the evaluator would more frequently\easily notice the kid in the "bright socks" - but it works both ways and definitely works against you if you shit the bed. I have also seen quite a few times where "lemon heads" were picked over players that IMHO clearly out performed them.

Love that MidAm doesn't even have a link for the Tier 2 Tournament on their site. Both the 18U and 16U Divisions have 3 teams in the top 30 in the country. At 18U Mt Lebo is 12th, Foxes are 24th, and Renegades are 26th. At 16U Allegheny Independent are 10th, Renegades 14th, and North Pitt is 24th. Should provide some competitive games throughout the weekend but I guess Tier 2 isn't important enough for the district to advertise it. 

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

Love that MidAm doesn't even have a link for the Tier 2 Tournament on their site. Both the 18U and 16U Divisions have 3 teams in the top 30 in the country. At 18U Mt Lebo is 12th, Foxes are 24th, and Renegades are 26th. At 16U Allegheny Independent are 10th, Renegades 14th, and North Pitt is 24th. Should provide some competitive games throughout the weekend but I guess Tier 2 isn't important enough for the district to advertise it. 

Agreed it's totally dumb.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

Really is a very Sad situation!  I guess since most folks are only involved for 4 years and then move on there hasn't been enough pressure put on them.  Does anyone know how you get elected or appointed to the MidAm board?  I would like to nominate Danner!  Danner are you up for the job? Seeing as you are retired and one the person that seems to have a good understanding of what needs to be done to improve hockey around here.  If MidAm were smart they would try to get Hockey TV to cover the games, or triblive!  But they don't even advertise them.

• Like 2

Here is the board and their terms.

https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/5829048-board-officers-election-grid

Elections happen each year at the annual meeting.  Every association is invited to attend these.  I went a bunch of years ago and they don't really tell you much in the public meeting.  But you do get to vote on anyone that is running for a position.

15 hours ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

Especially when they had two Tier 2 teams make the National Championship last year. The Renegades 18U team is mostly the same team that won Nationals at 16U. You’d think they’d be proud of that but apparently not. 

Three - U19 Steel City Select girls

But they never give the girls any credit or publicity if they aren't PPE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HatTrick said:

Elections happen each year at the annual meeting.  Every association is invited to attend these.  I went a bunch of years ago and they don't really tell you much in the public meeting.  But you do get to vote on anyone that is running for a position.

Some of those people are ANCIENT on the board. It's probably been 8 years since I looked at that list and half are the same.   Why don't we all get to vote like most hockey orgs send out a ballot?  Insanity!

2 hours ago, HatTrick said:

Edited by fafa fohi

20 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

It is a fact that Montour hockey is a club sport, therefore everything is governed and run by their hockey board, not the school.  Blaming PIHL is a joke, this victimhood stuff is bullshit.  Place the blame on where it lies and where it should be.

Fafa you are off track here.  2 different topics!  We are talking about Midam board in this one.  I want to nominate you and Danner as the wise men of the Hockey world I think you are!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Fafa you are off track here.  2 different topics!  We are talking about Midam board in this one.  I want to nominate you and Danner as the wise men of the Hockey world I think you are!

lol I just edited my comment and removed it from this thread.  The Montour stuff is frying my melon.

Time for a beer.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • ROTF 1