MidAms

Mid-Am is nothing more than a good ole boys club of politicians that will never change.  Know the right person or kiss the right ass and you may get an opportunity.  They all love their titles that make them feel and look important.  Not to mention the fancy sport coats they wear with the USAH logo emblazoned on them.  

It’s really a shame these tournaments have no promotion, a trash website and no real atmosphere that you are at something big.  It’s a big deal for these kids so why not put a little extra effort in and give these kids something special.  

• Like 3
  • 100 1

I have had only 1 experience at Midams and it was exactly as described on here. I was there with my son a few years back. My son did well but he was clearly in the middle of the pack. However, there was a d-man there who was just incredible but I am certain didnt play for any of the big boys. We still talk about how that kid got shafted. He wasnt a point machine but clearly could make all the plays you want coming out of his own end. The kind of player that just had a knack for beating a forecheck and getting the puck to players in good positions… little slip passes, quick little escapes back to strong side post supoort, cut the net to the weakside well, etc. Didnt turn it over, didnt put the puck on the wall. Just clean. BUT the most impressive thing was this kid was SO good in the NZ. He was incredible with gapping early to take away speed and denying entry at the blue.  I actually think he was from Pittsburgh but Im not sure. I feel bad for him to this day. Just incredible effort and execution and I feel like nobody was actually really watching.

Any chance MidAm posts the Tier 2 schedule since games are this weekend, or will they be in the forefront as they always are and only post results days after the games are completed?

Does anyone happen to have the Tier 2 schedules?

The total disrespect towards this division is a joke.

Edited by fafa fohi
  • 100 1

PIHL, PAHL, MidAm etc…. any entity where you have a bunch of people in charge that have kids who aged out 10-15 years ago is a recipe for disaster. Straight up vanilla thinking and zero thought of adapting to change (unless it’s discipline of course… they love that aspect of it). The antiquated website for MidAm speaks volumes.

• Like 3
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, muckerandgrinder said:

PIHL, PAHL, MidAm etc…. any entity where you have a bunch of people in charge that have kids who aged out 10-15 years ago is a recipe for disaster. Straight up vanilla thinking and zero thought of adapting to change (unless it’s discipline of course… they love that aspect of it). The antiquated website for MidAm speaks volumes.

I agree 100%. I can't tell you how many time's I've heard "but we've always done it this way" in hockey. This appeal to tradition is holding hockey back in our region.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sarampage said:

Tier II Schedules were just posted...of coure in an excel spreadsheet, the way it was probably provided in 1998...

https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/5022908-district-playoffs

At least it is something!  I think Danner and Fafa should run for Midam positions.  They would get things done!

How do we nominate them?  Another one I would want in charge would be the King.  I miss his insight!

4 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

At least it is something!  I think Danner and Fafa should run for Midam positions.  They would get things done!

How do we nominate them?  Another one I would want in charge would be the King.  I miss his insight!

Money talks and bullshit walks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

For all those aspiring to get involved and make some changes at Mid Am, someone already posted the membership grid earlier:
https://www.midamhockey.com/page/show/5829048-board-officers-election-grid

This shows there are two officer positions available this year - President and Secretary - one at-large District Director position available and I believe two Western PA State VP positions available.  

Elections are held during the annual meeting of local associations.  This meeting is held in June or July - after the USA Hockey national annual meeting which is in June.  The location will be posted on the Mid Am website.  It is typically held in Ohio as it is a central point in the district.

All "Local Associations" of Mid Am are invited to attend - which is really only the Association President.  If the President is not going to attend, he can send a designee who would have the association's voting rights.  This designation needs to be in writing.

Associations can nominate anyone for any of the positions.  Again, nominations go through the Association President.  It is preferred that nominations are done in advance, but they do take nominations from the floor during the meeting. 

Each Association - President or designee - is given an envelop with their voting slips for each of the positions up for election.  If there happens to be more than one candidate for a position, they will allow each candidate to speak as to their intentions and why they should be elected.

Following this, the associations will cast their votes by writing the name of who they are voting for on the respective voting slip.  All votes are not equal though.  Each association is given the number of votes based on the number of registered players in their association - 1 vote for every 10 members.  So your bigger programs like Arctic Foxes, North Pgh, SCIR, etc. are going to be getting 40-50 votes each, while your smaller associations - Beaver, Aviators, Lawrence, etc. will only count as 10-20 votes.  

The other aspect to keep in mind is that for the Officer and District Director positions - this is Mid Am Distrct wide - so you need to consider "All" associations in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia and Western PA.  It is also not just the Amateur associations, but also High School associations, Girls/Women's hockey associations, disabled hockey associations, etc.  I believe the State VP (Western PA) is just elected by the Western PA associations.

So if you want to get elected - it would probably be a good idea to start calling up your Local Association President and ask them to nominate you.  You then want to contact all the Presidents of all the different associations and start your campaigning now so that all these different programs know who you are ahead of time and what you are trying to accomplish.  Focus on the big associations with more votes.  As a heads-up, don't waste your time on a lot of the Western PA associations as probably only 30-40% of them attend in the first place.

This is also explained in the Mid Am bylaws here: https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/3994-2121162/2016_Mid-Am_Bylaws__1_.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by pickle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stickboy said:

Found our old time hockey guy

Nope. But there should be some hitting. I would be ok eliminating checking entirely from the game, but it isn't, so it should happen at the right time. The fact that it happened not at all is a bit problematic to me. But go ahead, insult me.

26 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Anyone who doesn't like hitting, PAHL is trying to get a no-checking division going. 

If PAHL doesn’t keep running the same old school crap it’s going to be in a very bad spot with all the competition for leagues and independent teams.  

“This is how we’ve always done it” is a kiss of death.