MidAms

13 hours ago, Saucey said:

I saw that. Trying to capture kids who quit the sport?

Thats my assumption. Undersized kids, kids whose parents' don't want their kid being checked. 

My opinion is it's probably the kids and parents that would be better suited to an in-house, no-checking league. Too many kids and parents want the glory of playing on a travel team without having a commitment to it. 

• Like 1
  • Uh, Ok 1
  • 100 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, RoyalTraveller said:

Lost to Esmark 4-2. After losing to the 5 and 6 seed I would say an at large is unlikely, but we'll see.

You are factually correct, but never underestimate the sycophants of Midam and USA Hockey and their endless desire to suck up to the Penguins.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

For those that have not had the chance to check out today’s results of those going to Nationals:

Tier 1

U18 Culver over PPE

U16 Barons over Esmark in OT

U15 PPE over Esmark

U14 Vengeance over PPE

Tier 2

U18 Mt. Lebo over SCIR 

U16 Allegheny Ind. over SCIR 

U14 NP over SCIR 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Birddog said:

PPE cannot be happy with their showing this weekend by the looks of things.

I would say the gap is closing.

It will be interesting to see which PPE teams get an at-large bid for nationals.  

For U18 it makes sense as they are ranked 6th nationally and made it to MidAm finals.  For U14 same thing - ranked 3rd nationally and lost in the MidAm finals.  U15 earned a trip with a finals win over Esmark.

The big question is U16.  They were out of the tournament after game 2 with two losses to teams ranked much lower than them - 38th and 47th nationally.  Clearly they are not deserving of an at-large bid, then again we have heard this song before.  What teams that are deserving of the at-large bid will get shafted because of the PPE PR machine? 

2 hours ago, Birddog said:

PPE cannot be happy with their showing this weekend by the looks of things.

I would say the gap is closing.

I’m not so sure. I agree with fafa fohi. The #6 18u team lost to the #2 team. That 08 Vengeance team is for real. No shame there. Maybe their ego took a hit but those were good teams they lost to. I wouldn’t call them upsets even though the 08 game looked like it was on paper.

The 16u team has done this same thing each year for a while. Started off well and faded. There seem to be some issues there- maybe it’s on ice coaching or off ice coach ‘recruiting’ I wouldn’t know or have an opinion really. 

2 hours ago, zam said:

Looks like 14u and 15u PPE, only had 13 skaters in the lineup?  Did they have injuries or is that typically all they roster at those ages? 

You can see their rosters on the website. They have more. They normally take somewhere between 15 and 18 skaters. I do know 14u had some injuries. I’m assuming 15u did too but I don’t have any first hand knowledge of that. 

11 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

You can see their rosters on the website. They have more. They normally take somewhere between 15 and 18 skaters. I do know 14u had some injuries. I’m assuming 15u did too but I don’t have any first hand knowledge of that. 

The 14's had 1 kid hurt all weekend and 1 suspended for the championship game. From the looks of it neither were a big help in the 6-4 loss from the week before when they both played.

12 minutes ago, Pucks11 said:

The 14's had 1 kid hurt all weekend and 1 suspended for the championship game. From the looks of it neither were a big help in the 6-4 loss from the week before when they both played.

Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression the other one was injured, not suspended. I’ll trust your info over mine. 

24 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression the other one was injured, not suspended. I’ll trust your info over mine. 

It was kind of a soft call and it's not even my team but that kid can definitely hit hard.

Let's dissect a few things here.

First 16U - the 2006BY wasn't the first to bring in out of state/country players in an effort to make more money..... err I mean to improve the team but they have proven a few things. Here are the facts.

They either cut or chased away enough local players that they were able to form what some have referred to as the Pittsburgh Barons who are the Midam rep at Nationals. In addition to this the top 3 teams in 16U were Pittsburgh based or roster heavy while the Money machine was 6 of 6 with 18 out of town, state, country players and 2 locals.

Next is the 14U

And this is probably most significant as there have been calls by many for the younger age groups to fight the urge to drink the kool-aid of the Trevor Edwards 6 and 7 year old recruiting machine. I think the 08 Vengeance showed that this is an option that can and did work quite well. Ironically, this group that stood their ground was the sole impetus for the founding of the Elite Mites at PPE (think about that) and the nonsensical ass-kissing of parents of 6 and 7 year old hockey players.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Nobody seems to have noticed that Pittsburgh was well represented in the girls brackets. Pens Elite won 14U Tier 1, Rebellion won 14U Tier II, with Steel City Selects and Arctic Foxes coming in second and third. Steel City Selects won 19U Tier II, with Armstrong in second.

A strong showing for Pittsburgh Girls' teams! Congratulations to the girls.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, pickle said:

Schedules are coming out tomorrow at 12:00 PM - so all teams would know by now.

Do any of the networks run a bracket unveiling show? Have the bracketologists released their final predictions yet?

48 minutes ago, zam said:

Do any of the networks run a bracket unveiling show? Have the bracketologists released their final predictions yet?

I will preface that I don't know who was selected - so if local teams got at large bids, I am sure they know already - so just speculating here.  MyHockeyRankings has posted the District Winners and you can kind of figure out the seedings and potential at-large bids from there from who is left...

Looking at some of the at-large bids options:

14U - Mission would definitely get one (#2) - but PPE (#3) should also get one

15O - No real Mid-Am contender for at-large

16U - PPE is not out of contention - but they are definitely a stretch.  Performance at Mid-Am should rule them out, but no other Mid-Am team would be considered option despite Mid-Am (or even season) results.  

18U - PPE should receive at-large bid - #6 rank - 2nd highest remaining seed; lost to Culver #2 rank in Final in OT.  Wouldn't say Esmark is not deserving as five lower ranked teams advance with automatic bids from district wins - but their 17th rank also gives a few others a chance and that would also make three mid-am teams which is unlikely.