Bishop McCort ineligible player

Don’t let this article fool you. McCort knew exactly what they were doing and got caught. They listed a player on 15 score sheets when that player only played in 9 games. Their Coach deliberately cheated and they were turned into the league.  In no way did they turn themselves in and take the high road here. McQuillan has been coaching in the PIHL for close to 3 decades so there is no chance he did not know what they did was against the rules. 

Obviously PIHL has to start doing a better job as well of checking eligibility. Their on site reps should make sure that players who are listed as playing on the score sheet are in fact in the lineup. It is sad that youth hockey has come to this but obviously there are adults out there who will cheat to win. Pathetic!!

8 hours ago, CranjisMcBasketball said:

I read a comment elsewhere they turned in by a disgruntled parent on the own team?  Not sure if anyone here has heard more. 

No idea if there is any truth to this.

But if true it's pretty wild that Montour cheats and all the parents do everything they can to defend it. McCort cheats and gets away with it, just to have their own parents turn them in.

Edited by Icebucket

6 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

Shouldn’t PIHL have already vetted playoff rosters before they even started?

Verified means checking scoresheets, they put kids on the scoresheets who did not play so that effort would not catch this.  Would need to be caught on game day.

If the coaches aren't trustworthy then maybe the players need to go to the scorekeeper and sign in or get fingerprinted before each game. Have them present report cards and birth certificate.

While they are at it the scorekeeper can quiz the kids too. 

When did you move here?

Do you live in your teammates basement?

1 hour ago, Lucky17 said:

Verified means checking scoresheets, they put kids on the scoresheets who did not play so that effort would not catch this.  Would need to be caught on game day.

What I mean is they should know who is eligible to play and who isn’t before game one of the playoffs. You do in midam. You do in any other respectable league. 

Besides. Who entered it into the Pihl website that they had enough games?    Teams don’t do that themselves and every player on the team showed over 10 games. 

Sounds like the league DOES have some culpability in this. 

Edited by BeaverFalls
  • Like 1

Game Managers need to check the rosters better moving forward. Needs to be a better check. Hard to know for sure who is on the bench.  I like the idea of signing in before the game in front of the game manager.  Still can cheat but it would be a lot harder.  I bet if you looked closely at other teams with AAA players you will find a lot listed that didn't play enough games.  As long as there are championships to be had there will be people who try to cheat to win!   Dozens of Pro examples for sure!

All I’m saying is the league owns a lot of this for not monitoring this game by game and allowing the waste of time of a playoff game to even be played that had to be forfeited. 

ALOT of money goes into allegedly doing what wasn’t done. You all are paying for it that has kids in the league. You’d think there would be some more calls for accountability from the league here on this one as well as the school. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

All I’m saying is the league owns a lot of this for not monitoring this game by game and allowing the waste of time of a playoff game to even be played that had to be forfeited. 

ALOT of money goes into allegedly doing what wasn’t done. You all are paying for it that has kids in the league. You’d think there would be some more calls for accountability from the league here on this one as well as the school. 

I agree - some are paid postions in pihl - Parents are paying these salaries in their fees! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeaverFalls said:

What I mean is they should know who is eligible to play and who isn’t before game one of the playoffs. You do in midam. You do in any other respectable league. 

Besides. Who entered it into the Pihl website that they had enough games?    Teams don’t do that themselves and every player on the team showed over 10 games. 

Sounds like the league DOES have some culpability in this. 

Agree 100%.  Pihl is absolutely partly to blame.  The pihl reps should be solely responsible for everything score sheet related since that is the official record for each game.  This includes checking rosters and getting coaches to sign off.  The teams only responsibility should be handing the rep the roster sticker- period.  This way volunteers aren’t to blame for simple mistakes or “purposeful” errors (as most of you have junk is going on).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stackthepads said:

Agree 100%.  Pihl is absolutely partly to blame.  The pihl reps should be solely responsible for everything score sheet related since that is the official record for each game.  This includes checking rosters and getting coaches to sign off.  The teams only responsibility should be handing the rep the roster sticker- period.  This way volunteers aren’t to blame for simple mistakes or “purposeful” errors (as most of you have junk is going on).  

Go look at the online scoresheets from this team’s home games and you will see there is typically no official scorer listed. This is where the honest or calculated errors on game time rosters happen. This has been an increasing problem as PIHL has had a shortage of game officials over the last few years and regularly ask the home team to act in this capacity.  I’ve seen official PIHL scorers check the rosters to the players on the ice in warmup to confirm.  I could see how a parent from the team being asked to record the score/clock may not know to do this, but the team manager and coaches are both required to attend preseason meetings outlining their pregame roster responsibilities. One of which is scratching out the names of players not participating. And the coach has to sign.  

PIHL has no fault or responsibility. They are one of the best run organizations in all of youth hockey in the State of PA in my opinion. They post all rules on their website along with have monthly meetings with all School teams. It's the team's responsibility to follow the rules. While I do not agree with some of the rules it doesn't matter, they are clear. It is the team playing the other team's responsibility if they are not following them to challenge them through the process given. At that point PIHL responsibility is to resolve the matter through there rules & follow the penalties provided. PIHL = BI LAWS, HS TEAM = FOLLOW BI LAWS, HS TEAM BREAKS BI LAWS = OPPONENT RESPOSIBLE TO CHALLENGE BI LAW, PIHL = DECIDE PUNISHMENT PER GUILDINES POSTED. Let's let process not opinion drive the topic. Montour & BM made mistakes & PIHL followed the BI laws. Montour defending themselves should not be taken personal. The process played out & now it's over. Personal attacks do nothing productive but cause 700 replies'....

• 100 1

1 minute ago, Puck01 said:

PIHL has no fault or responsibility. They are one of the best run organizations in all of youth hockey in the State of PA in my opinion. They post all rules on their website along with have monthly meetings with all School teams. It's the team's responsibility to follow the rules. While I do not agree with some of the rules it doesn't matter, they are clear. It is the team playing the other team's responsibility if they are not following them to challenge them through the process given. At that point PIHL responsibility is to resolve the matter through there rules & follow the penalties provided. PIHL = BI LAWS, HS TEAM = FOLLOW BI LAWS, HS TEAM BREAKS BI LAWS = OPPONENT RESPOSIBLE TO CHALLENGE BI LAW, PIHL = DECIDE PUNISHMENT PER GUILDINES POSTED. Let's let process not opinion drive the topic. Montour & BM made mistakes & PIHL followed the BI laws. Montour defending themselves should not be taken personal. The process played out & now it's over. Personal attacks do nothing productive but cause 700 replies'....

I have personally witnessed pihl reps accidentally put scratched kids in their system as if they played when they didn’t and vice versa.  No blame there???  No fault???  They are incapable of human error???  

31 minutes ago, Puck01 said:

Maybe it’s an unreasonable expectation that an organization who his paid by its participants and member organizations to facilitate a league actually provides that service and enforces its rules and bylaws, oh maybe before the fact, not after. Had this not somehow been caught, it never would’ve been known.

The second and third order plus effects of this goes beyond a forfeit of a single game. 

36 minutes ago, Puck01 said:

Finally! I agree with you!!! Thanks for being a voice of reasoning on this subject!

To be clear, I am not absolving responsibility in any way shape or form in McCort. 

What I am asking is, what did the league do in the timeframe from the last day of the regular season with the information they received?  Just use it as a coaster for a coffee mug?  The whole league looks bad that this wasn’t reviewed or caught by the league before the game was played. So what else is being missed?

FCD732C1-C38C-4F94-9EFE-913B1F4CA7F8.jpeg

• Like 1