Bishop McCort ineligible player

2 hours ago, BeaverFalls said:

What I mean is they should know who is eligible to play and who isn’t before game one of the playoffs. You do in midam. You do in any other respectable league. 

Besides. Who entered it into the Pihl website that they had enough games?    Teams don’t do that themselves and every player on the team showed over 10 games. 

Sounds like the league DOES have some culpability in this. 

Maybe Pihl could take a few lessons from Midams.  Pihl also needs to follow their own rules as far as of playoff starting dates. Reviewing all teams before announcing who will be in playoffs and playoffs begin.

Edited by Baleout21
  • Like 1

The process is clear. If someone from PIHL doesn't follow it or cheats, then they need to be held accountable also. The point is the Bi laws also hold them accountable. If PIHL cheated, why didn't you Challege it? Paid or not paid does has no bearing on following clear bi laws. The point is the other teams are responsible to challenge not PIHL. IF PIHL does it's an added benefit if someone is cheating. If someone is riding a bike & is not paying attention & hits a tree, it's not the tress fault. it's the person not paying attention.  

For accountability, I see this two ways. First off, half (or more) of the people who run PIHL are well beyond their glory days and too far disconnected from their kids (or their own) playing days. The refusal to be proactive and implement preventative measures is a direct indication of this. ANYBODY can be reactive and throw out the rule book  after an infraction etc. Staying ahead of the game requires an actual buy in and a modicum of passion for the organization you work for. It all starts at the beginning of the year. Division placement/alignment is a disgrace. But that’s a whole other topic.

My solution? Give team managers a small stipend or league wide discount on tuition of $500 and make it 100% clear to all coaching staffs that they are responsible for valid rosters. Generally, the managers do a thankless job because they genuinely care. But give them a small perk and elevate their authority a bit. Too many are treated like grunts by their coaches and cave in to shady roster moves etc…

Not a perfect solution and open to interpretation for sure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

Maybe it’s an unreasonable expectation that an organization who his paid by its participants and member organizations to facilitate a league actually provides that service and enforces its rules and bylaws, oh maybe before the fact, not after. Had this not somehow been caught, it never would’ve been known.

The second and third order plus effects of this goes beyond a forfeit of a single game. 

Referees also get paid and often times they don't enforce the rules.  They also from time to time award a goal or assist to the wrong player. So just because PIHL officials get paid something are we to expect perfection.  Have you ever made a mistake at your job?

I mean you have a few minute warm up period with 35 players jumping on and off the ice at different times. Players arriving late to the game after the drop off the puck.  Some players that rarely see the ice.  You could see how a score keeper might miss somebody and just trust the coach that the line up is accurate....

The lucky thing is it appears he was a legitimate regular season player. So those regular season games count (unlike Montour) so the only difference is their playoff game counts as a loss not a win. And the other team advances.

The lowest game total on McCort’s roster I believe is 14. That’s not a mistake. 10. Would be a mistake. Repeatedly doing it is negligence. Paid representatives of the league enter this information as league representatives. Unless you’re telling me the job description is to do little more than pure data entry?  No.  Note paragraph 11 below  

So yes. We can all applaud Latrobe moving forward. With about 3 days to scramble to find ice and prep for the next opponent. Does the responsibility of the action fall on McCort?  Absolutely. Does the responsibility of facilitating the league and playoffs fall in PIHL?  I guess not?

We shouldn’t just say oopsie and “boys will be boys” and keep making the same mistakes over again. That’s insulting to those paying for it and to those trying to make some legitimacy to local hockey.

My overarching point is McCort should be held accountable.  The responsible league reps should be held accountable.  Those who supervise the league reps should be accountable.  Finally those who are entrusted with the total operation of the league should be held accountable.  Or not and just keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result  

68D7C716-F584-4783-A910-24C1E1A9B431.jpeg

Edited by BeaverFalls
Update file

42 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

The lowest game total on McCort’s roster I believe is 14. That’s not a mistake. 10. Would be a mistake. Repeatedly doing it is negligence. Paid representatives of the league enter this information as league representatives. Unless you’re telling me the job description is to do little more than pure data entry?  No.  Note paragraph 11 below  

So yes. We can all applaud Latrobe moving forward. With about 3 days to scramble to find ice and prep for the next opponent. Does the responsibility of the action fall on McCort?  Absolutely. Does the responsibility of facilitating the league and playoffs fall in PIHL?  I guess not?

We shouldn’t just say oopsie and “boys will be boys” and keep making the same mistakes over again. That’s insulting to those paying for it and to those trying to make some legitimacy to local hockey.

My overarching point is McCort should be held accountable.  The responsible league reps should be held accountable.  Those who supervise the league reps should be accountable.  Finally those who are entrusted with the total operation of the league should be held accountable.  Or not and just keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result  

68D7C716-F584-4783-A910-24C1E1A9B431.jpeg

Now we are getting somewhere. Now take these rules with the facts not being followed & submit the complaint. This is how you make change by referencing the rules with the responsible party & submit the complaint. That is the only thing that gets results. Opinions aside great job now follow it through & you will make be a part of real positive productive change. PIHL should be held accountable to their rules no different than players, teams, parents & referees. Nobody is above the rules. 

Do people really think that Bishop mccort self reported their own mistake mid playoffs? Or does it make more sense that their first or second round opponent started thinking back to regular season games where a player was listed on the score sheet but didn't play against them, then pulled up a couple more videos of other games and started to recognize a pattern. It wouldn't be that difficult. You have to assume it wasn't a bad player, because why bother. So look at the good players, see which games they don't have any stats, and find the video. Maybe they just had a bad game, or maybe they weren't there.

Maybe for extra credit see if there is a similar pattern in past years. 

Look at the scoresheets for their home games. None signed by a PIHL Game Coordinator. That means they weren’t there. When this happens (not surprising way out in Johnstown) the home team is asked to cover those duties.  So if someone from the team is acting in that capacity and doesn’t know what they are doing (or does, with an agenda), the league would never know (honor system). It’s an issue that obviously needs addressed and scorekeeper needs to be third party. At the same time can’t we just be honest?  And your program actually does get reimbursed by the league when you cover, so if in this case it was a malicious and repeated offense there should be some restitution paid.