Least crazy parents in PAHL.

I'm sure this one won't go off the rails.  After several years of "possibly" moving to PGH, my situation is now more like "probably" moving to PGH.  Tryouts are all really soon and would need to come into town with my youngest of 3 sons to do tryouts.   Older two boys have their situations sorted.  Youngest would be 10uAA.  Not going to pay and do AAA travel for a 10 yr old.  Yes, I'm interested in good coaching and player development, but I also am burned out after doing this for years and just can't deal with the insanity.  Which orgs would you say have the most chill vibes?  lol.   i.e. -- fewest parent fights and ejections and abuse of refs and coaches and opposing players.  

Thanks, and sorry in advance.

37 minutes ago, champeen said:

I'm sure this one won't go off the rails.  After several years of "possibly" moving to PGH, my situation is now more like "probably" moving to PGH.  Tryouts are all really soon and would need to come into town with my youngest of 3 sons to do tryouts.   Older two boys have their situations sorted.  Youngest would be 10uAA.  Not going to pay and do AAA travel for a 10 yr old.  Yes, I'm interested in good coaching and player development, but I also am burned out after doing this for years and just can't deal with the insanity.  Which orgs would you say have the most chill vibes?  lol.   i.e. -- fewest parent fights and ejections and abuse of refs and coaches and opposing players.  

Thanks, and sorry in advance.

Do you have a general area you are looking to move to? That would help narrow down the options right away

25 minutes ago, Icebucket said:

Do you have a general area you are looking to move to? That would help narrow down the options right away

I'm not currently married to a particular part of town.  Ideally, would rather be closer TO the city -- Alpha, RMU. South Hills.... as opposed to Southpointe, Baierl, etc.

6 minutes ago, champeen said:

I'm not currently married to a particular part of town.  Ideally, would rather be closer TO the city -- Alpha, RMU. South Hills.... as opposed to Southpointe, Baierl, etc.

I'd probably rule out alpha as it's not any closer to the city than baierl or southpointe.

There are lots of options in the south. You never know from year to year, but on a general basis I'd say you are more likely to run into crazy parents at the preds than with shaha or mt lebanon. Foxes would be a good option north of the city.

Lebo usually the most mild from what I have seen. SHAHA hit or miss but has some really wild birthyears and parents.  Same with Southpointe.  Agree preds especially at the "AAA" level the parents are absolutely insane.  Badgers and SCIR I have seen some craziness as well.  RMU generally I've seen decent behavior.   It's also easy to spread out in the nice rink there.  Overall I'd say Lebo Hornets your best bet overall but obviously there are exceptions to everything.  

Worst I have personally experienced consistently over the last 20 years - Allegheny, Beaver, Preds. I have found that at the lower levels of play it can be really bad, and at the “faux” AAA level is atrocious. Tournaments are the worst. Mites nowadays are the worst parents ever. Everyone thinks their red mite is going to the nhl, and they act live every tournament is the Stanley cup playoffs. 

9 hours ago, forbin said:

Worst I have personally experienced consistently over the last 20 years - Allegheny, Beaver, Preds. I have found that at the lower levels of play it can be really bad, and at the “faux” AAA level is atrocious. Tournaments are the worst. Mites nowadays are the worst parents ever. Everyone thinks their red mite is going to the nhl, and they act live every tournament is the Stanley cup playoffs. 

Agree with all except I think blue mites worse than reds for parents.  The B parents and the faux AAA are the worst and the middle teams.the best. 

1 hour ago, champeen said:

piggy-backing on my own post.... i notice both SCIR and Aviators play out of Alpha Ice.  Any notable differences between the two programs?  Better run, better coaching?  Different target demographic?  

SCIR is the primary tenant at Alpha and gets the preferential ice in terms of time and volume.  

• Like 1

Aviators used to play out of Airport Ice Arena. When it shut down they were sort of thrown to the wind. I think they were playing at PIA a few years ago, so good for them getting into a more central spot at Alpha. But that's why there are 2 orgs in the Alpha house. It's not some sort of A teams B teams situation. Aviators (and a few high schools) got screwed by their ice rink closing. I've also heard the Vipers are moving into Alpha for next season. 

I see another topic very similar this...  it's hard to pin it down to a certain organization.   We have a very great group of families in our birth year and have moved as a core group every year since mites.   We have attracted some players from other teams that did not have a great culture.   Some players departed because they were looking for a higher level of competition.  A lot of the expectations for the season are set by the coach.   Within the organization, there is always some drama with different teams...  usually it's due to parents that weren't happy with the season and head coach and tried to interfere with the coaching plan with usually bad results.   It's usually the exception and not the rule.  I would assume it's the same thing everywhere.

10 hours ago, miked said:

Aviators used to play out of Airport Ice Arena. When it shut down they were sort of thrown to the wind. I think they were playing at PIA a few years ago, so good for them getting into a more central spot at Alpha. But that's why there are 2 orgs in the Alpha house. It's not some sort of A teams B teams situation. Aviators (and a few high schools) got screwed by their ice rink closing. I've also heard the Vipers are moving into Alpha for next season. 

That is a lot of amateur teams for one rink.  I guess there are three sheets of ice but you have Vengeance, Steel City, Aviators, and now Viper Stars?  Name another rink with three amateur associations let alone four.  Seems crazy.

1 minute ago, Carl Racki said:

That is a lot of amateur teams for one rink.  I guess there are three sheets of ice but you have Vengeance, Steel City, Aviators, and now Viper Stars?  Name another rink with three amateur associations let alone four.  Seems crazy.

Just to be clear, the Aviators in particular are a very small organization. This year they had four total teams. It would have been five but unfortunately their 19U girls team folded at the beginning of the season.

2 hours ago, PittsburghHockeyFan said:

The Aviators had 6 total teams this season. Three of them were at the AA level and the rest at A major. Their top 12U AA team just won the PAHL regular season and playoffs.

Talk about crazy parents. That 12u AA aviators team takes the cake in my book. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

17 minutes ago, BeaverFalls said:

Just stay away from Mon Valley, Cambria, Johnstown, Altoona and State College. Usually the biggest clownshows come from there. Inter-city within Pittsburgh you should be alright. 

This^^^^^^

And if you are traveling towards Connellsville you will begin to hear the sound of banjos.  That will be your warning to stay away from there at all costs.

• 100 1

16 hours ago, Jkersman01 said:

Talk about crazy parents. That 12u AA aviators team takes the cake in my book. 

So did that team beat yours?   Seems like the Aviators are building back into a solid program.  Nice to see a smaller program have success. What makes the Aviator parents any crazier than any others?  Just curious!

2 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

So did that team beat yours?   Seems like the Aviators are building back into a solid program.  Nice to see a smaller program have success. What makes the Aviator parents any crazier than any others?  Just curious!

Good timing- was just checking out the board when I saw this. They do have a nice group of players- a good team for sure. They might be very well building a solid program. My comment had nothing to do with the players, coaches, or organization for that matter. That's why I limited it to a specific team.

As to the parents this year, I wasn't going to get into details and hoping a passing comment would be enough of a contribution to this discussion, but since you asked and want support because you might be challenging my statement (and this is all first hand knowledge)-

-Yelling and taunting a kid from another team on the ice during a game, as he walked off, and making comments to him while he walked through the lobby

-Screaming at their team to "take out #..." when they were losing

-Having a parent, during the handshake line, yell "girls shouldn't be playing hockey" to the 2 girls on the opposing team in a game they lost

-Parents, on 2 occasions in just 3 games I saw, got kicked out of the stands for going at the refs (verbally)

My point of "taking the cake" is that at 11-12 years old, I've never seen parents, during and after a game, taunting and interacting with the opposing team's players like they did. 

• Like 2
  • Are you sure? 1
  • Holy Moly 1

Actually thanks for the specifics!  Sounds like some of those parents went off the rails.  Good to put it out there.  I sure hope their organization reads this and talks to those parents.  What you described is totally unacceptable behavior.   Even if it's just a couple of parents the rest of them should tell those parents it's unacceptable.  At the end of the day it's only a game and the kids are supposed to be having fun and learning good sportsmanship.

• Like 1