Least crazy parents in PAHL.

58 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

Good timing- was just checking out the board when I saw this. They do have a nice group of players- a good team for sure. They might be very well building a solid program. My comment had nothing to do with the players, coaches, or organization for that matter. That's why I limited it to a specific team.

As to the parents this year, I wasn't going to get into details and hoping a passing comment would be enough of a contribution to this discussion, but since you asked and want support because you might be challenging my statement (and this is all first hand knowledge)-

-Yelling and taunting a kid from another team on the ice during a game, as he walked off, and making comments to him while he walked through the lobby

-Screaming at their team to "take out #..." when they were losing

-Having a parent, during the handshake line, yell "girls shouldn't be playing hockey" to the 2 girls on the opposing team in a game they lost

-Parents, on 2 occasions in just 3 games I saw, got kicked out of the stands for going at the refs (verbally)

My point of "taking the cake" is that at 11-12 years old, I've never seen parents, during and after a game, taunting and interacting with the opposing team's players like they did. 

Holy victim mentality... guess you shouldn't expect anything less from Mt. Lebo. Sorry you couldn't buy your wins.

54 minutes ago, LGP13 said:

Holy victim mentality... guess you shouldn't expect anything less from Mt. Lebo. Sorry you couldn't buy your wins.

Sounds like you might be one of the crazy parents if you are defending that kind of behavior from adults at a peewee game ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

Sounds like you might be one of the crazy parents if you are defending that kind of behavior from adults at a peewee game ?

I think defending bad behavior and pointing out that what an anonymous person said on a public forum "might" be skewed to their PoV are two different things. Especially when they are a parent from the other side.

I am a parent, and I wasn't at the game that we lost so I can't speak to any claims there. But I was at the game where a player from Mt. Lebo engaged with parents in front of his coach and they did nothing. A 12-year-old kid, yelling obscenities at parents that are spectating the game... I was also at the game were said kid again engaged parents in the stands after a loss and still nothing. Again, not defending the behavior of the parents yelling back at the kid, better to just ignore and laugh like I did. What control does a coach have over his team and players that he lets them engage with spectators? As far as the parents getting thrown out on two occasions, I wasn't at the game that was a loss, so I don't know what happened. The 2nd game, a parent of a kid who repeatedly got punched in the face by 3 players until he was visibly bleeding (see it from the stands) while a 10-year-old ref tried to get three 12-year-olds off him... Ya, you might have to throw me out of that game too if it was my kid getting punched in the face. 

Again, victim mentality. We did nothing wrong and the parents were savages!!!! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, forbin said:

10 year olds are not allowed to ref peewee games…..

I didn't check his birth certificate. 

A significantly smaller sized kid was trying to break up 3 larger sized kids beating on another kid. Better?

1 hour ago, LGP13 said:

I'm sure @Jkersman01 would love to get you that information to corroborate the validity of their claims.

You’ve basically acknowledged that this happened, why do I need to corroborate this? This isn’t a hearing. You provided enough info on this board about the teams involved someone could do their research if they wanted, but frankly I don’t think anyone cares remotely that much.

It is ridiculous that your justification for this ADULT fan behavior is that a CHILD was engaged with them in that same behavior. BE THE ADULT! If you went up to a 12 year old kid at the mall, in front of a cop, and started heckling him, you think the cop would be cool with it? But it’s OK in an ice rink? This is a thread about “crazy parents in PAHL”. Start one called “12 year old kids that you don’t like” if you want.

Maybe I’m in the minority and am the only one who thinks it isn’t OK, no matter what happens, as an adult, to engage with a child-player on the other team. If that’s the case, shame on me for not being “passionate” enough.

Again, like I already clarified, this is nothing against the team, kids or coaches. Great team. This is a thread about experiences with parents.  When I hear an adult yell at my daughter, while she’s on the ice, that she shouldn’t play hockey because she’s a girl, pardon me for holding a grudge against a fanbase like that. If that would have been the only thing that happened, I wouldn’t have commented. But given the other stuff, it obviously isn’t a one-time, or one-parent, issue.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jkersman01 said:

and started heckling him

Great games this season, both of the girls on the team are great players.  Best of luck with your future opportunities.

Edited by LGP13
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, champeen said:

I'm sure this one won't go off the rails.  After several years of "possibly" moving to PGH, my situation is now more like "probably" moving to PGH.  Tryouts are all really soon and would need to come into town with my youngest of 3 sons to do tryouts.   Older two boys have their situations sorted.  Youngest would be 10uAA.  Not going to pay and do AAA travel for a 10 yr old.  Yes, I'm interested in good coaching and player development, but I also am burned out after doing this for years and just can't deal with the insanity.  Which orgs would you say have the most chill vibes?  lol.   i.e. -- fewest parent fights and ejections and abuse of refs and coaches and opposing players.  

Thanks, and sorry in advance.

I guess you can wipe Mt. Lebo and Aviators off your list of least crazy parents ? 

• ROTF 2
  • 100 1

3 hours ago, Jkersman01 said:

You’ve basically acknowledged that this happened, why do I need to corroborate this? This isn’t a hearing. You provided enough info on this board about the teams involved someone could do their research if they wanted, but frankly I don’t think anyone cares remotely that much.

It is ridiculous that your justification for this ADULT fan behavior is that a CHILD was engaged with them in that same behavior. BE THE ADULT! If you went up to a 12 year old kid at the mall, in front of a cop, and started heckling him, you think the cop would be cool with it? But it’s OK in an ice rink? This is a thread about “crazy parents in PAHL”. Start one called “12 year old kids that you don’t like” if you want.

Maybe I’m in the minority and am the only one who thinks it isn’t OK, no matter what happens, as an adult, to engage with a child-player on the other team. If that’s the case, shame on me for not being “passionate” enough.

Again, like I already clarified, this is nothing against the team, kids or coaches. Great team. This is a thread about experiences with parents.  When I hear an adult yell at my daughter, while she’s on the ice, that she shouldn’t play hockey because she’s a girl, pardon me for holding a grudge against a fanbase like that. If that would have been the only thing that happened, I wouldn’t have commented. But given the other stuff, it obviously isn’t a one-time, or one-parent, issue.

Thank you Jkersman 01 for turning an honest parent question into an unprovoked swipe at a fellow PAHL organization. We have played both Aviators 12AA teams this season with no issues. I cannot say the same with our Mt Lebo games, one especially dirty player that I would surmise lead PAHL in PIM.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigTony said:

Thank you Jkersman 01 for turning an honest parent question into an unprovoked swipe at a fellow PAHL organization. We have played both Aviators 12AA teams this season with no issues. I cannot say the same with our Mt Lebo games, one especially dirty player that I would surmise lead PAHL in PIM.

So that gives the parents a right to be insane towards kids?  Serious question.

1 minute ago, aaaahockey said:

So that gives the parents a right to be insane towards kids?  Serious question.

Serious response- I was not at the game in question but sounds like a previous respondent was.

I would actually suggest taking about 3% of what is stated on here to be true- folks love anonymity.

2 minutes ago, BigTony said:

Serious response- I was not at the game in question but sounds like a previous respondent was.

I would actually suggest taking about 3% of what is stated on here to be true- folks love anonymity.

I agree except no one is disputing the aviators parents were nuts.  If a kid is nuts, that's one thing. Parents?  Different story.  Even the aviators dad didn't say his parents weren't saying crap about the girls on the team or yelling to hurt kids.  That's never acceptable. If the kid (s) were out of control like the bleeding from being cornered and beaten up, someone should file a safesport report. 

• Like 1

The sad thing here is how parents can ruin the game of hockey for young boys and girls. It seems like we are talking about 11-12 year olds who can play. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion built on THEIR experience with said teams. It is my opinion alone that based on my own experience watching my child that I would have to agree with JkErsmen01 about the aviators parents. As I too have witnessed parents completely out of control on numerous occasions not only playing against that team but also watching games of theirs. It is sad. 

• 100 1

Ok so I get some of the opinions here but I have to ask...so what.  If the program is good but you got a problem with the parents why can't you just sit at one end of the rink and ignore everybody.  Isn't it about your player getting top coaching and development?  And no....my kids don't play on the Aviators.  

1 hour ago, Ihearthockey said:

Ok so I get some of the opinions here but I have to ask...so what.  If the program is good but you got a problem with the parents why can't you just sit at one end of the rink and ignore everybody.  Isn't it about your player getting top coaching and development?  And no....my kids don't play on the Aviators.  

So I’ve had a few pops. Neighbors just went home. Probably shouldn’t respond. But I’ll give it a go.

There is so much wrong with this comment. Do you think that what we’re doing for our 12 year old children is about hockey? You do know that 99% (probably more, actually) of 12u PAHL players have no shot of long term development as it relates to NCAA Div 1, or some level of pro hockey, right?

This isn’t about ignoring morales for the sake of development. It is about providing our young men and women the opportunity to develop a passion and learn life skills along the way. If they aren’t doing both, I want no part of it. Some people might think it’s ok to sacrifice one for the other. I won’t ignore the parental ‘model’ behavior for the sake of teaching my kid to make a few more dekes. We won’t see eye to eye on that, ever. 

Edited by Jkersman01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hockeyisgreat said:

Maybe organizations should screen the parents before tryouts!  Or maybe have the parents tryout!  Or maybe the PAHL should not let the kids of crazy parents play. Or maybe ban spectators!  Just trying to solve the crazy parents problem for you all!

Lol. I’m all seriousness, I think the solution is rather simple. If the organization cares about its reputation in this regard, the team manager is to be held accountable for the behavior of the parents on the team. I’ve been team manager for many years and I’ve had to settle down fellow parents before. 

8 hours ago, Jkersman01 said:

So I’ve had a few pops. Neighbors just went home. Probably shouldn’t respond. But I’ll give it a go.

There is so much wrong with this comment. Do you think that what we’re doing for our 12 year old children is about hockey? You do know that 99% (probably more, actually) of 12u PAHL players have no shot of long term development as it relates to NCAA Div 1, or some level of pro hockey, right?

This isn’t about ignoring morales for the sake of development. It is about providing our young men and women the opportunity to develop a passion and learn life skills along the way. If they aren’t doing both, I want no part of it. Some people might think it’s ok to sacrifice one for the other. I won’t ignore the parental ‘model’ behavior for the sake of teaching my kid to make a few more dekes. We won’t see eye to eye on that, ever. 

So you're saying that as long as the parents are cool, it shouldn't matter how the organization is run?  

14 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

Lol. I’m all seriousness, I think the solution is rather simple. If the organization cares about its reputation in this regard, the team manager is to be held accountable for the behavior of the parents on the team. I’ve been team manager for many years and I’ve had to settle down fellow parents before. 

There are certain organizations that attract the crazy parents. Those organizations aren't interested in controlling the parents.

My family (and kids) have never been interested in playing for an organization where a holey is tolerated either on the ice or off. The behavior IS a part of the game. Eventually you get penalized, etc. And it is embarrassing. Being associated with a team calling you to girls that they shouldn't play hockey? No. No. No. I don't care how skilled the team is.

• Like 1