Mid-State Mustangs bringing back split season approach for younger birthyears!

Anyone remember the Mid-State Mustangs? The organization is once again on the rise and the younger birth-year teams are going back to the split season approach rather than playing in a league. The organization is adding some big pieces in coaching and development. Defiantly something to check out if you are unsure about next year. Their tryouts are in a week or two. 

Sure! I'd love to. The split-season teams will attend four tournaments. The tournaments will not conflict with your PAHL team schedule. The cost for the program will be $1,450. 

Tryout Links and Dates Below:

10U: https://forms.gle/wrJnSyNBBufoS1UMA

Thursday March 30- 7:00-8:00pm

Monday April 3- 7:00-8:00pm

12U: https://forms.gle/X33cdELneoZo63uU8

Thursday March 30- 8:00-9:00pm

Monday April 3- 8:00-9:00pm

1 hour ago, tyburket said:

Sure! I'd love to. The split-season teams will attend four tournaments. The tournaments will not conflict with your PAHL team schedule. The cost for the program will be $1,450. 

Tryout Links and Dates Below:

10U: https://forms.gle/wrJnSyNBBufoS1UMA

Thursday March 30- 7:00-8:00pm

Monday April 3- 7:00-8:00pm

12U: https://forms.gle/X33cdELneoZo63uU8

Thursday March 30- 8:00-9:00pm

Monday April 3- 8:00-9:00pm

I don’t mean for this to come across as snarky, but isn’t that what most PAHL teams do?

6 minutes ago, Jkersman01 said:

I don’t mean for this to come across as snarky, but isn’t that what most PAHL teams do?

I think this is more intended as JUST a tournament team. So you could play for your PAHL org and also this team.

@tyburket will these teams have practices or anything?

5 hours ago, tyburket said:

Anyone remember the Mid-State Mustangs? The organization is once again on the rise and the younger birth-year teams are going back to the split season approach rather than playing in a league. The organization is adding some big pieces in coaching and development. Defiantly something to check out if you are unsure about next year. Their tryouts are in a week or two. 

Who are the big coaching pieces?

Albeit this has been done before I think tournament teams are slowly fading.  The AA level PAHL teams are already playing an extended schedule starting with summer practice and games and tournaments running into August and running through til March.  I think kids on A teams that don’t go as full tilt are where most of the interest will come from.  Is the concept still helpful to player development when you may get to play and practice with AA kids on AA teams for a brief period with the rest wrapped around A teams with A players and potentially lesser coaching.  I think if you really elevate your game then development at the higher level should be 100% of the time.  More can be accomplished with one team one roster one coach plus the chemistry and brotherhood that comes with staying together.  

what are the differences between this and the state college version of this running under the name Keystone Wild?  Perhaps two programs 40 miles apart in an area that’s not rich in numbers is a bit much?

I understand both sides of what everyone on the forum is saying the coaches should be posted soon so definitely look at that. Coming to a tryout never hurts to see what your options are especially speaking more towards the 10's and 12's. I personally went away to play AAA as a 12 year old and looking back I think I should have stayed home. The level of coaching the programs used to have was not as par as it is going to be this year. I think this program is going to be good stepping stone for players to get to AAA by the time they are national bound, when those teams start to build up. Just my opinions I understand everyone has theres so I don't want to take that away from anyone.

• Uh, Ok 1

Knowing what I do I highly doubt that Dave Weaver would bend the rules.  Sam probably got his games in very early and met the requirements before heading to where he was going for the season.  During those years I’m told there was much attention to compliance.  If it’s not the Pittsburgh team winning they get their panties in a wad.  There is more to Western PA than just Pittsburgh.  

The mustangs were successful in very different times than we have now.  There’s more AAA, AA and Junior opportunities out  there than before.  A program is doomed if its philosophy is “this is how we have always done it”.  The key to longevity is being able to self evaluate yearly and adapt to the market.  What can you do differently that makes your program more attractive?   The program has a great history and I’m sure nobody wants it to fade so perhaps a good hard look at tearing it apart and assessing top to bottom to see where things can change and improve.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CranjisMcBasketball said:

Let’s peel away the onion a little bit. The current incarnation of Mid-State is not AA. It is A major with hopes of maybe someday being relevant AA again. That’s okay. A lot of the kids are playing A major and A minor travel and supplement their seasons with mid-state. Nothing wrong with that. 

The problem comes when you try to present it as something different than what it is.  Most naive parents will shell out money they can’t afford to due to fomo etc. But be real with people. This isn’t a quick step away from legitimate AAA hockey. It’s mostly mid level A and players trying to make it to AA and good on them for trying to better themselves. 

The 09 Mustangs would win PAHL AA fairly easily. Just like every organization, you have to look at it on a team by team or birth year by birth your basis. A blanket statement like yours just isn't true in all cases. For some of their teams, it's absolutely true.

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Are you sure? 1

3 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

The 09 Mustangs would win PAHL AA fairly easily. Just like every organization, you have to look at it on a team by team or birth year by birth your basis. A blanket statement like yours just isn't true in all cases. For some of their teams, it's absolutely true.

I would love to see them play NP, SCIR.

Edited by CranjisMcBasketball

3 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

Easily.  If Preds, SHAHA, Icemen, and Esmark would go back to PAHL you would have an amazing AA division. 

• Like 1

I saw the 09 Mustangs play a few times this year in 2 close games against the 09 Shaha team.  They're a really good team.  I saw they beat the Badgers 09 team 3-0 this year so I agree they would likely have won that AA Minor PAHL division.  I'm not sure how they would have stacked up against the top AA Major teams.  They should be in contention at Midams next year at Tier 2 for sure.  

• Uh, Ok 1