Making PPE after being cut

My son felt he was ready for AAA hockey around 12 or 13.  Tried out at Esmark - was cut.  Was told his size was too small. Pens Elite tryouts were the next week  He asked to tryout.  We believed all the things we had heard - the team was pre determined, If you didn't get invited you didn't stand a chance, it's all political....blah, blah, blah. We still let him tryout.  He made the team. Yes, he was a bottom player. The next year (14U)- was the very first year black teams were being introduced.  He was put on the black team.  Coach explained - if we put you on Gold - you'll sit on the bench for games. If we put you on black - you'll get top minutes.  My son was crushed - but after cooling down and thinking it through he decided to stick it out. He played the next year on black team.  My kid worked hard as did every kid on that black team. (That year - the Black team beat the gold team at Mid ams.) My son continued to develop - loved the game. He continued to learn to play the speed of the game and to even pick up the speed on his shifts. It wasn't always roses and sunshine at Pens Elite. But, he continued to grow. He stayed through 16's then played 18's at a prep school. He ended up playing in the NAHL and is playing NCAA Div.1 hockey.  He was a bottom player of a AAA team at 12 / 13.  What changed that?  skating, skating, skating - drills, practice, lessons, shooting pucks everyday in the driveway.  Does the kid want to wear the jacket to wear the jacket or does he actually want to put the work in to develop? 

I watched Pens Elite cut a kid that then went to a prep school - that led to being drafted by the USHL and then committed to an Ivy league school for Div.1 hockey - the Pens Elite aren't the final say on a kids destiny.

Edited by whatever
  • Like 8