Plum Hockey

Just heard the Plum board is opening up their meeting to everyone in the organization to speak because they have posted the HC position for the Varsity team.  Never thought I would see parents upset about a coaching change when a team has had 5 losing seasons.  And people wonder why Black Bear is taking over.

Can't resist! I coached the HC  in high school,  he worked for me and he coached with his two high school coaches at Pitt including myself. He left Pitt to coach Plum. He was absolutely the right coach to take over a struggling program. Maybe that's the reason the parents aren't happy about it. It's hard to win when the talent is in the young teams and harder to find a coach to take on the program knowing they'll be growing pains. My bet is a parent in the younger teams that does coach, thinks he can do a better job. This is just stupid. Unless there is something I don't know and I doubt it. I just hope this isn't political. Just one old man's opinion.  And Danner, u should be able to figure who I am now. Not a Pitt parent. 

• 100 1

1 hour ago, kid310050 said:

What does black bear taking over have anything to do with Plum hockey? If kids are progressing and getting better but not winning is that a totally terrible thing?

I guess if that is your standard for a coach, not winning, then sure it's not a terrible thing.  Just feel bad for the kids who went their entire HS career without a winning season.  No dog in the fight, our HS has a winning tradition.  Just found it odd that parents would fight to keep a losing tradition. Plum is a fairly big district that had a history of success in the past. 

Yes, and I was there for 15 seasons or so and we were good. But sometimes teams go thru a dry spell. Let's face it, sometimes the talent isn't there so you build from the ground up. Not many people want to take on that situation . I  did watch Plum beat  Fox Chapel using a strategy of icing the puck every time they could. Fox Chapel was all over them; outshot them like 65-15. But the strategy worked. Wait till they have more talented kids. And there is no shame in not having  a winning season if you gave it your all every nite for a good coach. That's life. Small disappointments in sports are a great way to learn to deal with disappointment sure to come your way as you get older. It's part of what makes sports great. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, theyrekids said:

I guess if that is your standard for a coach, not winning, then sure it's not a terrible thing.  Just feel bad for the kids who went their entire HS career without a winning season.  No dog in the fight, our HS has a winning tradition.  Just found it odd that parents would fight to keep a losing tradition. Plum is a fairly big district that had a history of success in the past. 

"No dog in the fight", but you felt compelled to create a post on this forum... okay.

I coached against Plum, and I recall them having a pretty good team in the 19-20 season in Class AA.  I don't remember what their record was, but I think they made the playoffs.  

Varsity teams from small to mid sized programs will always have their peaks and valleys.  If you are lucky, you get a few strong classes and you can compete for a few years.  Sometimes that's not the case, and all you can do is maximize whatever the potential is for your team.  If that potential is only a handful of wins, or hell - even no wins - then you still give your players, the team and the program everything you have.  If this coach is doing that, then kudos to him, and he should stay put and Plum should be thankful he remains committed to them.

• Like 1

Vinnie doing too good as the Fog Whisperer. And that team you were talking about lost in the PA Championship game in 19-20. Vinnie, a former Plum player coached that team. And they have the right coach running the program now.