2019 USA Hockey Nationals

14 hours ago, Wampa1 said:

Also, any of you geniuses want to try and answer my inquiry into how the teams at HS Nationals were chosen to rep the PIHL? 

Thanks in advance for the compliments. I used my genius 3rd grade reading skills to find the answer to your question. Thank you Mrs. Kough...unfortunately the paragraph below is gonna open up another can of whoop ass!

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/4d12-1672319/2019_Tournament_Guidebook.pdf

High School Varsity and Prep School Varsity Division (male and female teams): Pure teams that are community-based public high schools, private schools drawing their students exclusively from a local metropolitan area (excluding any school that boards players) OR a combined team from a state that has NO pure teams. Representation from each state will be determined by  the state affiliate participating in the tournament. Billeted players competing on Youth Tier I, Youth Tier II or any junior teams are not eligible to compete in the High School Varsity national tournament. Participation is restricted to amateurs who are full-time students (grades 9-12), and 19 years old or under as of December 31 of the playing season. Eligibility is not to exceed eight (8) consecutive semesters starting with a player’s freshman year. Clarification: Those high school students graduating mid-year are no longer full-time students and therefore, are not eligible to play on a varsity high school hockey team, effective on their last day of attending classes full-time.

The addition of the HS tournament to USA Hockey Nationals in 2010 is part of USA Hockey continuing plan to "grow the game." The addition of D1 (pure) and D2 (combined) high school divisions (D1 and D2 is correct, not my erroneous use of HS tier 1 and tier 2 terminology above) started in 2015. It's impossible to expect every recognized High School "state champion" would be willing to bear the significant burden (some $$,$$$'s per team) of participating in this tournament. So they use a system of allowing interested teams consideration. USAH affiliates directors determine who receives a bid to HS nationals. It is what it is.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/page/show/718726-champions

The USA Hockey national tournament list of champions goes back 81 years to 1938. Check it out.

1 hour ago, Hoser said:

Thanks in advance for the compliments. I used my genius 3rd grade reading skills to find the answer to your question. Thank you Mrs. Kough...unfortunately the paragraph below is gonna open up another can of whoop ass!

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/4d12-1672319/2019_Tournament_Guidebook.pdf

High School Varsity and Prep School Varsity Division (male and female teams): Pure teams that are community-based public high schools, private schools drawing their students exclusively from a local metropolitan area (excluding any school that boards players) OR a combined team from a state that has NO pure teams. Representation from each state will be determined by  the state affiliate participating in the tournament. Billeted players competing on Youth Tier I, Youth Tier II or any junior teams are not eligible to compete in the High School Varsity national tournament. Participation is restricted to amateurs who are full-time students (grades 9-12), and 19 years old or under as of December 31 of the playing season. Eligibility is not to exceed eight (8) consecutive semesters starting with a player’s freshman year. Clarification: Those high school students graduating mid-year are no longer full-time students and therefore, are not eligible to play on a varsity high school hockey team, effective on their last day of attending classes full-time.

Thanks for the cut and paste. Again, can anyone answer what my questions without cutting and pasting? Someone that hasn’t proven that they have no reading comprehension skills? Again, I’m not debating whether they are eligible to be there. I’m asking what the benefit of co-ops are? Anyone with any sense and doesn’t have the bias this idiot does?

56 minutes ago, Hoser said:

The addition of the HS tournament to USA Hockey Nationals in 2010 is part of USA Hockey continuing plan to "grow the game." The addition of D1 (pure) and D2 (combined) high school divisions (D1 and D2 is correct, not my erroneous use of HS tier 1 and tier 2 terminology above) started in 2015. It's impossible to expect every recognized High School "state champion" would be willing to bear the significant burden (some $$,$$$'s per team) of participating in this tournament. So they use a system of allowing interested teams consideration. USAH affiliates directors determine who receives a bid to HS nationals. It is what it is.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/page/show/718726-champions

The USA Hockey national tournament list of champions goes back 81 years to 1938. Check it out.

“It is what it is”. That’s funny. This moron cuts and pasted in an effort to prove some sort of definitive proof co-ops are a legit part of USA Hockey nationals. There are tons of schools that were interested and 3 were chosen. I’m asking what the selection process was. I’m assuming another useless response is on its way. 

1 hour ago, AMR24 said:

They were sent an invitation.

Oh now the lady wants to speak. No kidding they were sent an invitation. How? What was the process. Anyone with any useful input here? Of course not. How many times do I have to prove that?

6 minutes ago, Wampa1 said:

Oh now the lady wants to speak. No kidding they were sent an invitation. How? What was the process. Anyone with any useful input here? Of course not. How many times do I have to prove that?

Seriously? Again with the disrespect. Please do not address me unless you have something constructive to say and do so in a respectful manner. I will not entertain any more of  your keyboard warrior, bullying tactics. I believed I was being helpful as this was my 1st year experiencing the whole Mid Am/Nationals stuff.

15 minutes ago, AMR24 said:

Seriously? Again with the disrespect. Please do not address me unless you have something constructive to say and do so in a respectful manner. I will not entertain any more of  your keyboard warrior, bullying tactics. I believed I was being helpful as this was my 1st year experiencing the whole Mid Am/Nationals stuff.

Please. You were making an attempt at being a passive aggressive smartalec. Now you run back behind the wall of decency. Keyboard warrior? Please. It’s a message board. Don’t post if you can’t handle it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wampa1 said:

We're not sure what you're asking. You want to know why the most dominant teams in the D1 and D2 divisions got invited to High School Nationals via MidAm? Pine Richland went 18-1 and Burrell went 19-1 during the regular season, I think that it's fair to give them both an invite.

The rules are what they are.  Both teams represented PA well.  How is a Catholic School any different (Central and Erie Prep) than a co-op?  If a player is wearing another players jersey call it out immediatly.   I can't beleive game administration would allow this at any level.

Peter Puk told me the Lebo parents sent the invitations?  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hoomie said:

Outright lies.  Read about it. Each  Co-Op have a list of schools that players can come from. The school has to sign off on them. No player from a pure school is on any D2 team. For you to say you know players is a lie.  They would be ineligible. People like you is why nobody is on here anymore. 

@Hoomie There is/was at least one player from Connellsville school district on that team. (That player WILL NOT be named here).

That player played for Ringgold instead of playing for Connellsville.  So what you're saying is "a lie" as you would call it.  Before you start blabbering about people lying you ought to look in the mirror first.

Edited by Scooby Doo

2 hours ago, pghhockey said:

We're not sure what you're asking. You want to know why the most dominant teams in the D1 and D2 divisions got invited to High School Nationals via MidAm? Pine Richland went 18-1 and Burrell went 19-1 during the regular season, I think that it's fair to give them both an invite.

Plain English junior. WHAT WAS THE PROCESS OF SELECTION FOR THE INVITE? They need to be selected before the new year. How do you determine the invites and who makes the ultimate decision? And let’s be honest, Burrell wouldn’t last a round in any other pure playoff. They have a couple good players but they didn’t even win their leagues playoff. 

1 hour ago, HSFBLJ said:

The rules are what they are.  Both teams represented PA well.  How is a Catholic School any different (Central and Erie Prep) than a co-op?  If a player is wearing another players jersey call it out immediatly.   I can't beleive game administration would allow this at any level.

Peter Puk told me the Lebo parents sent the invitations?  

All catholic school students go to that school and pay tuition. Do the co-op students pay tuition at Burrell? Bush league comparison. Try again.

It's not dealing with Nationals, but PIHL seems to pick and choose spots to enforce specific rules.  For example, you get some organizations that can't field a team because they don't have a goalie in their district, or are permitted to play them up from Middle School to JV/V, but then you have instances like South Park winning JV with TJ kids on their roster.

36 minutes ago, Wampa1 said:

Plain English junior. WHAT WAS THE PROCESS OF SELECTION FOR THE INVITE? They need to be selected before the new year. How do you determine the invites and who makes the ultimate decision? And let’s be honest, Burrell wouldn’t last a round in any other pure playoff. They have a couple good players but they didn’t even win their leagues playoff. 

So now you're angry that there's a D2 division? Take it up with USA Hockey, they've created D2 so that kids from smaller schools can pool together and have a chance to compete at Nationals, I think that it's a very positive thing. It sounds like you're just angry and looking for a venue to vent on, since a simple email to a representative at MidAm Hockey would likely get you the answer you're looking for regarding the selection process. I'd say it's pretty self-evident for the rest of us, they're a good team that went 5-1 in their division at Nationals and won the Silver medal.

I have been following this closely as where we live, there is not a hockey team. We do Co-op with Burrell (we pay the same season dues as the Burrell kids but still attend our local schools). There was a year, in the past, there was not a team through Burrell due to numbers. We made several calls to see if there was any where kids could play and were told no, better luck next season. This was MS, though. But, reading through this thread, it looks like people found ways to get around it. We just waited out our year and the next season there were enough to play.

55 minutes ago, pghhockey said:

So now you're angry that there's a D2 division? Take it up with USA Hockey, they've created D2 so that kids from smaller schools can pool together and have a chance to compete at Nationals, I think that it's a very positive thing. It sounds like you're just angry and looking for a venue to vent on, since a simple email to a representative at MidAm Hockey would likely get you the answer you're looking for regarding the selection process. I'd say it's pretty self-evident for the rest of us, they're a good team that went 5-1 in their division at Nationals and won the Silver medal.

No problem with the D2 division just don’t believe co-ops should be given the same forums (or respect for that matter) as pure schools. Everyone should get the opportunity to play the game. Playing for championships should be reserved for clubs that can build and develop properly. Anything else genius?

@Wampa1 and @Hoomie

Wampa, you are 9/10ths of the way to earning a ban.  Stop being so aggressive towards other people on here.  I have told you before, state your TAKE and move on.  Your takes don't have to descend to the level of attacks on anyone who disagrees or counters you.

Hoomie, back off on the repeated "LIAR" accusations.  Not necessary to go there.  A simple "I disagree because..." will suffice.

If everyone can't take a deep breath before they post and stop bashing each other, I will lock this thread, and permanent bans may be forthcoming. 

It's getting tiring going through the same thing with a few posters over and over.  TONE IT DOWN!  You have been warned.

There are a couple of mid season tournaments in Jamestown, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame that give ANY school (Pure or Unpure) at ANY level (USA Hockey and NHFS) a chance to compete against the better teams. Schools from Maryland, Eastern and Western Pa., Ohio (USA Hockey and Federation), Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota and other states come compete and the competition level is pretty good. Ringgold came to Pittsburgh and competed well and did not win a game against AAA,AA, A and Out of Town Schools.  

Why the USA Hockey Tournament is not so great is because # 1 the high school hockey season is over in March after State Tournaments and # 2 you don't see states like Massachusetts, Minnesota , Wisconsin, North Dakota New Jersey, New York and others  who play under the National High School Federation (NHFS) and are sanctioned High School Programs and never will because of the dates of this tournament being outside the guidelines  of the Winter Sports Season. 

I have never been a great fan of co-op because it deters building pure High School Programs.  They exist and they need a place to compete and kudos to Burrell for going to Cleveland and competing well.