Esmark tryouts question

I would imagine that the Pens already have their team and are not worried about tryouts! Better question is Esmark and SHAHA tryouts going on at the same time.  Kind of hard to go to both!  Kids have to pick one or the other and hope they make it!  Which team will be better next year?

2 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

I would imagine that the Pens already have their team and are not worried about tryouts! Better question is Esmark and SHAHA tryouts going on at the same time.  Kind of hard to go to both!  Kids have to pick one or the other and hope they make it!  Which team will be better next year?

What year we talking about?

9 hours ago, hockeyisgreat said:

How did Yuri attend closed tryouts?  Did the Pens let him?

Yep. There always has been a working relationship of sorts between them. Yuri always had the heads up who was getting cut at U15 when PPE would go down to one team from two. Obviously, things have changed a lot since those ppe black teams. Yuri was an evaulator one tryout that I recall. I also remember one year he was out front starting the recruiting process for esmark before the tryout was over. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lifelongbender said:

Esmark refunds commitment fees for players who later make Pens Elite NB teams, so there is no risk for players to tryout at Esmark. It's right on their registration page.

Nope, that's Steel City Selects that refunds the fees. Sorry for the confusion!

• Like 1
  • Holy Moly 1

On 4/8/2023 at 9:45 PM, Danner27 said:

This. At midget esmark has always gone after ppe. If it’s midget, it’s out of the norm. 

Things have changed.  Since the black team have been scaled back there isn't potential influx of kids at the 15O level like there was a few years ago.  Also, since the new regime took over a few years ago there just aren't as many local kids on the Midget teams.    

• Like 1

If I were one of the families whose player got named to that team I would be running for the hills. The team most likely won't be as good as some of the AA teams locally and they will be paying 3 times as much with the normal Esmark travel on top of that. Already a mass exodus and the supplemental will just bring more AA level players. Wouldn't be surprised if this team ends up folding and these players have nowhere to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bender05 said:

Supposedly a supplemental is coming? Supposedly several aa players now on team and many kids left for pred 

My son tried out for Esmark 14u (2009), and we were a bit shocked with only 12 skaters named to the team today along with this “supplemental” tryout on Monday 4/17/23.  Which ironically is 1 day after Pens 2009 try-outs.  Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what’s going on here…..7238CA54-366A-4787-A1E2-C43B4B8A34B1.jpeg.cd7908714db6b2a414abdcfd97f3b462.jpeg

8 hours ago, Hattrick Swayze said:

If I were one of the families whose player got named to that team I would be running for the hills. The team most likely won't be as good as some of the AA teams locally and they will be paying 3 times as much with the normal Esmark travel on top of that. Already a mass exodus and the supplemental will just bring more AA level players. Wouldn't be surprised if this team ends up folding and these players have nowhere to go. 

Many years ago my son was a 2004 and made Esmark 2004 either for pee wee or bantam and there were maybe 10-12 on the team and they had a supplemental and didn’t get enough kids and didn’t cash checks then ended up folding 

What's going on with the '09 Vengeance? I know many people were not happy with the situation last year. But now they brought in a new coach (I think lots of new coaches) and have their new locker room, gym, and video facilities. Did that convince people to stay? I'm guessing Esmark may be losing some of their better '09s to that team.

2 hours ago, RJUSHL said:

What's going on with the '09 Vengeance? I know many people were not happy with the situation last year. But now they brought in a new coach (I think lots of new coaches) and have their new locker room, gym, and video facilities. Did that convince people to stay? I'm guessing Esmark may be losing some of their better '09s to that team.

The team scattered. I heard some trying out at Preds, SHAHA, and Pens.  Also not sure if the coach is a done deal or not?  Might depend on tryout turnout and quality. Could end up like the SHAHA 06s.  Not sure where everyone is going at that age level though because, as mentioned above, Esmark didn't have enough to field a team yet.  I wish some were going back to play AA and make stronger competition but highly doubt it. 

On 4/9/2023 at 5:04 PM, Danner27 said:

Yep. There always has been a working relationship of sorts between them. Yuri always had the heads up who was getting cut at U15 when PPE would go down to one team from two. Obviously, things have changed a lot since those ppe black teams. Yuri was an evaulator one tryout that I recall. I also remember one year he was out front starting the recruiting process for esmark before the tryout was over. 

PPE team is picked at midget level ?. Yuri if he knows is told befor tryouts. The tryout is a formality. A couple 5 star recruit spots are held for parents that are on the fence with paying for excell. By midget you just kidding yourself if you do not believe every team AA included are not just trying to get other spots filled after cuts. By midgets the hockey teams are pretty clear on who & what they need. Let’s not act like some team is doing things some cutting edge way. This is how it’s done & makes total sense by midget year. 

58 minutes ago, Clee Torres said:

PPE team is picked at midget level ?. Yuri if he knows is told befor tryouts. The tryout is a formality. A couple 5 star recruit spots are held for parents that are on the fence with paying for excell. By midget you just kidding yourself if you do not believe every team AA included are not just trying to get other spots filled after cuts. By midgets the hockey teams are pretty clear on who & what they need. Let’s not act like some team is doing things some cutting edge way. This is how it’s done & makes total sense by midget year. 

Don’t believe I said there was anything “cutting edge” - just stated in years past yuri had a working relationship with PPE. He knew who the cuts would be etc.