Teams looking for players! 2023-2024

10 hours ago, ThePuckDropsHere said:

As a few people have pointed out, the significant amount of declines is suspect, 1 or 2 is normal, 11 is abnormal. The Rebellion 06 squad was a solid group that had been together for a few seasons. It sounds like about half the team would have been returning players and half new players. That sounds reasonable considering the Rebellion team was on a similar MHR rating level as the Preds "AAA" team and was one of the strongest AA teams south of Pittsburgh. If some of the "AAA" players felt snubbed, that just shows you the entitlement... The Preds "AAA" team would have been the 5th best Tier 2 AA team in Mid-Am last season.

From what I can gather, the majority of the declines appeared to have landed at Mt. Lebo, which had a low turnout for their original tryouts, which were also held the same weekend as the Rebellion tryouts... So the Rebellion went from 50+ kids at tryouts with a strong returning core, to completely folding in a week... While Lebo went from a few returning kids and low numbers at their initial tryouts to swelling with numbers and having a solid team in a week... Something definitely happened behind the scenes to cause such a drastic shift.

That makes sense considering that Mt Lebo did not have a 16UAA team last year.  I believe their 16UA team was pretty good. I know their 18UAA team was very good! I know people in the South don't like to go North so I couldn't figure out where those kids from SP went,  Will be interesting to see how many 18UAA teams play in PAHL this year. There were 9 last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

Bingo.  And what team does the son of the Rebellion's President play on?  Oh yeah, Lebo.  There is your smoking gun folks explaining the situation.

Not a good look if true.

50 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

That makes sense considering that Mt Lebo did not have a 16UAA team last year.  I believe their 16UA team was pretty good. I know their 18UAA team was very good! I know people in the South don't like to go North so I couldn't figure out where those kids from SP went,  Will be interesting to see how many 18UAA teams play in PAHL this year. There were 9 last year.

I'd guess AA will be a few less teams. Last year you had Lebo drop down from AAA, and AAA was a team or two lighter than other years. This year you have Allegheny AA who won't play PAHL, and the icemen have an A/AA team who is playing AAA.

SCIR and NP both have very strong 16 groups moving up. Lebo should also be strong between their 18s who return mixed with SP 16s. Armstrong will certainly be AA as well. Beyond those 4, it looks like other teams broadcasting that they have AA teams are Predators, Viper Stars, and Westmoreland. Not sure they will all place in AA though. Am I missing any?

Edited by Icebucket

3 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

Bingo.  And what team does the son of the Rebellion's President play on?  Oh yeah, Lebo.  There is your smoking gun folks explaining the situation.

What?  WTF would the SPR's president's son play for a different org?  Sounds crazy!

5 hours ago, Icebucket said:

I'd guess AA will be a few less teams. Last year you had Lebo drop down from AAA, and AAA was a team or two lighter than other years. This year you have Allegheny AA who won't play PAHL, and the icemen have an A/AA team who is playing AAA.

SCIR and NP both have very strong 16 groups moving up. Lebo should also be strong between their 18s who return mixed with SP 16s. Armstrong will certainly be AA as well. Beyond those 4, it looks like other teams broadcasting that they have AA teams are Predators, Viper Stars, and Westmoreland. Not sure they will all place in AA though. Am I missing any?

NP, SCIR, Foxes, Mt. Lebo, Armstrong, Preds will have teams for sure.  Allegheny will have a U18 AA Independent and possibly one playing PAHL as tryouts are going on now.  SHAHA should have a team as well.  The Viper Stars and had a supplemental last weekend and Westmoreland has one next week so who knows. 

Edited by fafa fohi

8 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

NP, SCIR, Foxes, Mt. Lebo, Armstrong, Preds will have teams for sure.  Allegheny will have a U18 AA Independent and possibly one playing PAHL aster tryouts are going on now.  SHAHA should have a team as well.  The Viper Stars and had a supplemental last weekend and Westmoreland has one next week so who knows. 

Good call. Completely forgot about foxes.

I heard shaha had very low numbers and couldn't get a team together, but that could be wrong. Seems odd considering they had 4 u18 teams last year.

18 U across all divisons had 24 total teams last year. It really sounds like that number is going to be cut in 1/2, if not more this year. Where did everyone go? Is the 2005 BY just that weak on numbers ?  Are the incoming 2006 BY numbers not enough to take the place of the 2004 BY thats graduating? 

4 hours ago, surecat069 said:

18 U across all divisons had 24 total teams last year. It really sounds like that number is going to be cut in 1/2, if not more this year. Where did everyone go? Is the 2005 BY just that weak on numbers ?  Are the incoming 2006 BY numbers not enough to take the place of the 2004 BY thats graduating? 

I'm going to take a guess that at the upper ages, especially 18u, that kids are deciding to play for school only. And why not? 

I think it's hard for a lot of kids to do both, or have little enough interest in anything else to have the time to do both. Now if these club teams just played PAHL and a few tournaments, that's one thing. You can do 20 games, maybe 4 tournament weekends, 20 school games, and the practices to go with it if you wanted to. But add another 35-45 independent games to that, and now you're playing more than an NHL'er. And going to school, and trying to have a life in there on top of it. Makes it not very easy. 

They come to the realization that chasing PAHL/Independant isn't worth what they might have to give up. Hockey is supposed to be a fun thing, maybe there are other things they enjoy, too. Whether it's spending time with friends, a part time job, spending a lot of time looking at colleges, wanting a few nights to play video games, or whatever else they could be doing instead of being at the rink 6 nights a week. Friends going out to the movies this weekend? Girlfriend wants to go to the school dance? Too bad, you have to drive to Philadelphia or Columbus to play a handful of games to count towards your My Hockey Rankings. 

It's stressful, it consumes a big chunk of free time, you might get split up from your friends you like playing with, higher costs, etc. And it becomes increasingly apparent for just about everybody that there is no scholarship to Notre Dame or getting drafted to the OHL coming any time soon. 

Or alternatively, you can play for school. Still be part of a team, still play good hockey, and actually get a crowd engaged in the game, other than half a dozen dads yelling over the glass at you. And unlike the independant teams, you're actually playing for something. You're at school half of your day, 5 days a week with your peers. It's more likely some of those kids you go to school with care more about talking about and cheering for their school team than the Pittsburgh Icemen, or the Allegheny Badgers did over the weekend. 

I don't know if I'm right, but my guess is that is contributing to where these players have gone. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

I'm going to take a guess that at the upper ages, especially 18u, that kids are deciding to play for school only. And why not? 

I think it's hard for a lot of kids to do both, or have little enough interest in anything else to have the time to do both. Now if these club teams just played PAHL and a few tournaments, that's one thing. You can do 20 games, maybe 4 tournament weekends, 20 school games, and the practices to go with it if you wanted to. But add another 35-45 independent games to that, and now you're playing more than an NHL'er. And going to school, and trying to have a life in there on top of it. Makes it not very easy. 

They come to the realization that chasing PAHL/Independant isn't worth what they might have to give up. Hockey is supposed to be a fun thing, maybe there are other things they enjoy, too. Whether it's spending time with friends, a part time job, spending a lot of time looking at colleges, wanting a few nights to play video games, or whatever else they could be doing instead of being at the rink 6 nights a week. Friends going out to the movies this weekend? Girlfriend wants to go to the school dance? Too bad, you have to drive to Philadelphia or Columbus to play a handful of games to count towards your My Hockey Rankings. 

It's stressful, it consumes a big chunk of free time, you might get split up from your friends you like playing with, higher costs, etc. And it becomes increasingly apparent for just about everybody that there is no scholarship to Notre Dame or getting drafted to the OHL coming any time soon. 

Or alternatively, you can play for school. Still be part of a team, still play good hockey, and actually get a crowd engaged in the game, other than half a dozen dads yelling over the glass at you. And unlike the independant teams, you're actually playing for something. You're at school half of your day, 5 days a week with your peers. It's more likely some of those kids you go to school with care more about talking about and cheering for their school team than the Pittsburgh Icemen, or the Allegheny Badgers did over the weekend. 

I don't know if I'm right, but my guess is that is contributing to where these players have gone. 

Exactly. 

10 hours ago, HereWithPopcorn said:

There is credibility to this “smoking gun”…

Lots of ice time fees just walked out the door from an alleged internal sabotage by the SPR president, giving Black Bear the perfect excuse to take over the SPR board if true, as they have with all the other orgs in WPA. 

Apparently none of the Rebellion 06 core went to Lebo…. They are minimally scattered between Preds/SHAHA or orphaned due to this situation. 

• Confused 1

18uAA is always a bit of a crap shoot. 05 was a very low BY and some of those kids are going to college. Some choose to exit the sport. Some are tired of the grind that they have had since they were six and just play school. This is nothing new.

2 hours ago, ThePuckDropsHere said:

Lots of ice time fees just walked out the door from an alleged internal sabotage by the SPR president, giving Black Bear the perfect excuse to take over the SPR board if true, as they have with all the other orgs in WPA. 

Apparently none of the Rebellion 06 core went to Lebo…. They are minimally scattered between Preds/SHAHA or orphaned due to this situation. 

So I’m not completely familiar with the organization or this team, but I am familiar with the Rebellion President. I know him in passing. I have nothing but great things to say about him.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the player in question has NEVER played for the Rebellion. So it’s not like some coup. He has other kids that do play for South Pittsburgh. 

Update: I checked on this. The player in question has played for Preds AAA and Lebo AAA over the past few years. He didn’t leave South Pittsburgh. He was never there. 

Edited by RJUSHL

14 hours ago, ThePuckDropsHere said:

I re-read your statement…

Some of these allegations seem ridiculous. "Internal sabotage"... c'mom man!

If you’re going to throw some of these things out into the wind, you better be willing and able to provide some detail and context. If not, your credibility is trash. 

Edited by RJUSHL
  • Like 1

Some of these posts are quite amusing.  From a view on the inside, here was no internal sabotage.

The person in question has two other kids in the organization and is a head coach of his youngest son's 2010 team.  He was also part of the group that did the rebrand/rename from Rink Rats while I was doing designs.  I think he just asked his oldest kid which team he wanted to play on and it ended up it was the one his friends were still at.  Every other family that declined made their own separate decision.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bb2j3z said:

Some of these posts are quite amusing.  From a view on the inside, here was no internal sabotage.

The person in question has two other kids in the organization and is a head coach of his youngest son's 2010 team.  He was also part of the group that did the rebrand/rename from Rink Rats while I was doing designs.  I think he just asked his oldest kid which team he wanted to play on and it ended up it was the one his friends were still at.  Every other family that declined made their own separate decision.  

It appears that Q has infiltrated this forum.

• ROTF 1

This thread has really gotten off track.  I was really hoping that organizations would post as South Pittsburgh did hoping to fill teams.  Instead it has digressed to a why teams are no longer happening.  I'm to blame for that as well as I asked some questions.  Can we get back on track?  Maybe start a new thread for why things are the way they are!  Anybody know how the smaller orgs tryouts went.  Mon Valley, Beaver Badgers, Westmoreland. etc.  They should post positions they might need to round out teams.

SCIR is looking for the following: 

• 18U A Major - We have player positions available on our 18u Mixed Year 1 team
  • 16U A Major and A Minor - We have openings on both of our 16U Mixed Year teams including one goalie position
  • 12U and 10U Mixed Year All Levels - We have room on our rosters for additional skaters and goalies at our younger mixed year teams.

Please contact coaching@scirhockey.org for all of the above or fill out the player inquiry form

• Like 2

If you believe that this will get better in time....... here's one that will change that opinion.

I can confirm that 8U parents(nutjobs) are declining 8U placements. 8U....... declining placements

That's............................. 8U ............................... declining................................. their placement

• Holy Moly 1
  • Fear 1

4 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

If you believe that this will get better in time....... here's one that will change that opinion.

I can confirm that 8U parents(nutjobs) are declining 8U placements. 8U....... declining placements

That's............................. 8U ............................... declining................................. their placement

I heard that same thing when an 8U parent during an evaluation skate said they went to 3 different 8U tryouts.

• Haha 1
  • ROTF 2
  • Barf 1

9 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Yeah, but PAHL and BB are the problems...  Nope, parents are the problem and BB is filling their needs.

4 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Listen up, orgs! I have the next big moneymaker— Elite Learn-To-Skate. 

It's a gold mine waiting to happen. 

4 minutes ago, nemesis8679 said:

Listen up, orgs! I have the next big moneymaker— Elite Learn-To-Skate. 

It's a gold mine waiting to happen. 

Have to throw pens on the front. Pens Elite Learn to Skate. People would fall over themselves to sign up.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aaaahockey said:

Have to throw pens on the front. Pens Elite Learn to Skate. People would fall over themselves to sign up.  

HAHA, especially if it gave them an automatic spot on the 66ers. Their elite mites!  But then they would have to tryout for Pens Elite Learn to Skate.