Teams looking for players! 2023-2024

58 minutes ago, hockeyisgreat said:

HAHA, especially if it gave them an automatic spot on the 66ers. Their elite mites!  But then they would have to tryout for Pens Elite Learn to Skate.

I heard from a reliable source that only children born in a UPMC hospital will be considered for the Pens Elite Learn to Skate Academy.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, zam said:

I heard from a reliable source that only children born in a UPMC hospital will be considered for the Pens Elite Learn to Skate Academy.

No way they pass on those Chicago imports if they want their learn to skate to be the best!

17 hours ago, carroll81 said:

Yeah, but PAHL and BB are the problems...  Nope, parents are the problem and BB is filling their needs.

Parents are the problem but Black Bear also adds to the problem by adding leagues with stupid far travel to make it seem like you are competing against better competition.

ARMSTRONG ARROWS 12U GIRLS
Are still looking for a few additional Girls skaters and a goalie ages 9-12 to add to their PAHL Full Season Team. 
Contact AAHL Hockey Director Lee Grafton at aahlhockeydirector@yahoo.com

SCIR is still looking for the following:

16U Mixed Year 1 - We have room for a few more skaters.  Non-parent coach Chris McCambridge

16U Mixed Year 2 - We have room for skaters

18U Mixed Year 1 - We have room for skaters - Supplemental Tryout: 5/15 at 6 PM @ Alpha Ice Complex

We have room on all rosters at 10U and 12U for skaters and goalies

Anyone with interest, please fill out the player inquiry form

On 5/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I've been out of this for a long time, but it seems to me that the faux AAA stuff is also partially in response to there being 6-8 levels of A hockey. I hear "lowly A" a lot, obviously people think their kids are not A level players. I get that you don't want 20-0 blowouts in A, but when you have 6-8 divisions in A, you are probably trying to slice it too thin. I get why they don't have B at older age groups anymore, they think kids will quit instead of playing B. The whole birthyear idea has significantly complicated it too. A long time ago that birthyear idea was only for the high level teams, so I get it. Your team is "better" if it is a birthyear team. But I think a part of the problem is the vast majority of the teams are forced into some flavor of A level hockey. The best A level teams in a lot of cases really are good enough to be AA teams, but because PAHL has to fill up every on of the 6-8 A level brackets, they have to play "lowly A". Then everyone gets angry and creates hybrid and faux teams and makes it worse.

Personally, I think there should not be any birthyear teams permitted at the A level. You should just let more teams into AA, which I know is the opposite of what people here think. If you want to be a birth year team, then you automatically are in AA. I don't care if they deserve to be AA or not. It simplifies the process a little, because you know if you make a birthyear team, you are playing AA. Besides, the birthyear thing is generally a sign that the team is considered more serious, which is another complaint around here. I get that too. If you are more serious about hockey, you want to be on a team of like-minded people. I realize this would mean some bad AA teams will be out there. If they get destroyed every weekend, fine. That's what they asked for. Someone has to be the worst team in every division.

Way back on the "old days", i.e. 90s and 00s (the years, not the birthyears of the kids), B was inexperienced players. A was less serious but better than house level and they played PAHL schedules and 2-4 tournaments a year. AA was where all of the serious players went and they played a lot more games than A. Of course, yes, there was AAA too, some of which was legit, and some was not so much.

On a side note, it is funny to me that the Pittsburgh Stars, now known as Esmark, were originally a "faux" AAA team started by a doctor who found a group of players angry at the Amateur Penguins. The Am Pens are now the Vengeance and probably now they are the "faux" AAA team of those two.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, Spear and Magic Helmet said:

I've been out of this for a long time, but it seems to me that the faux AAA stuff is also partially in response to there being 6-8 levels of A hockey. I hear "lowly A" a lot, obviously people think their kids are not A level players. I get that you don't want 20-0 blowouts in A, but when you have 6-8 divisions in A, you are probably trying to slice it too thin. I get why they don't have B at older age groups anymore, they think kids will quit instead of playing B. The whole birthyear idea has significantly complicated it too. A long time ago that birthyear idea was only for the high level teams, so I get it. Your team is "better" if it is a birthyear team. But I think a part of the problem is the vast majority of the teams are forced into some flavor of A level hockey. The best A level teams in a lot of cases really are good enough to be AA teams, but because PAHL has to fill up every on of the 6-8 A level brackets, they have to play "lowly A". Then everyone gets angry and creates hybrid and faux teams and makes it worse.

Personally, I think there should not be any birthyear teams permitted at the A level. You should just let more teams into AA, which I know is the opposite of what people here think. If you want to be a birth year team, then you automatically are in AA. I don't care if they deserve to be AA or not. It simplifies the process a little, because you know if you make a birthyear team, you are playing AA. Besides, the birthyear thing is generally a sign that the team is considered more serious, which is another complaint around here. I get that too. If you are more serious about hockey, you want to be on a team of like-minded people. I realize this would mean some bad AA teams will be out there. If they get destroyed every weekend, fine. That's what they asked for. Someone has to be the worst team in every division.

Way back on the "old days", i.e. 90s and 00s (the years, not the birthyears of the kids), B was inexperienced players. A was less serious but better than house level and they played PAHL schedules and 2-4 tournaments a year. AA was where all of the serious players went and they played a lot more games than A. Of course, yes, there was AAA too, some of which was legit, and some was not so much.

On a side note, it is funny to me that the Pittsburgh Stars, now known as Esmark, were originally a "faux" AAA team started by a doctor who found a group of players angry at the Amateur Penguins. The Am Pens are now the Vengeance and probably now they are the "faux" AAA team of those two.

If the Vengeance are the former Amateur Pens; who would be the new Mt Lebanon/Pittsburgh Hornets AAA Midget Major team that played in Michigan National Hockey League? Would that be the Pens Elite now? It seems to me that I played in the “old days” (in the mid- to late 90s)…so I have about a 15 year gap in my understanding of the hierarchy of the organizations.

8 minutes ago, Rewster said:

If the Vengeance are the former Amateur Pens; who would be the new Mt Lebanon/Pittsburgh Hornets AAA Midget Major team that played in Michigan National Hockey League? Would that be the Pens Elite now? It seems to me that I played in the “old days” (in the mid- to late 90s)…so I have about a 15 year gap in my understanding of the hierarchy of the organizations.

Yes, the old hornets are the Pens Elite. 

• Like 2

• Paul Baxter unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Arctic Foxes still have space for more girls on the 10U, 12U, and 14U team rosters.

Reach out if interested or if you want to learn more!

Email info@arcticfoxeshockey.org or coaching@arcticfoxeshockey.org to inquire.

Steel City Selects also still have spots available for their 12U Girls supplemental program- 

Details for our 12U program:

• Practice at least once a week focused on skill development.  Generally on Thursdays at Shadyside Academy. Possible weekend practices at Alpha Ice and/or Baierl Ice
  • Practices run September through February
  • Approximately 15 games with a light travel schedule
  • Players in this program are required to have a separate full time team.
  • Open to birth years 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
  • Cost to be $1350. Includes jersey and socks.

2023-2024 LIMITED SPOTS STILL AVAILABLE

12U 2023-2024 Interest Link - Spots Available (steelcityselectshockey.com)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...