Mid-Am Select 15 (2008) and 14 (2009)

They cut Johnny Gaudreau years ago and they make light of it as if he wasn't actually good enough and "slipped through the cracks".

RJ, you seem to be the new expert on the block but your naivete is obvious.

I don't feel as though my player was slighted. he made the 68 camp as someone in the top 25% or so but was never going to be selected to go further and that's okay.

He got to evaluate himself against those players and knew exactly where he stood. He knew Mitch Miller was a freaking stud but he also knew he was a scumbag for what he did to that kid. Yes, they knew, everyone knew wayyy back then but MidAm didn't care. Send him through.

Lots of lessons to be learned if you pay attention.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2023 at 12:22 PM, RJUSHL said:

Great player. He wasn't at MidAm tryouts. I only noticed one 08 or 09 SHAHA AAA kid at tryouts. The one I know was selected to advance.

I just came across this thread, and messaged someone at SHAHA about the lack of 08s and 09s at MidAm's this year.  Apparently the organization missed the deadline for nominations and the top 09 players never recieved the "invite email" from MidAm.  The story I was told by someone involved in those teams was that at least on the 09 side there were multiple familes who were not happy and had they been nominated they would have participated.  I'm speaking of the player referenced before as well as the teams 2nd leading scorer from the past season as well as their top defenseman.  

On 5/5/2023 at 11:33 PM, No Politics said:

If we are praising those kids who are selected, what does that say about the system when kids who aren't even considered shut them down during a JV game (as an example)?  Catch my drift?

My son played AAA and varsity.  When it was time for the varsity games - middle of the week usually - he rarely was a standout.  It was embarrassing at times.  He held his own but wasn’t playing his potential.   Yes , it was on purpose.  He didn’t want to risk injury at a varsity game that would prevent him from playing AAA.   He only played his game In the varsity playoffs.   Agree or disagree - he looked at varsity as an opportunity to contribute but didn’t want to take over .  For some of his team mates that was their only hockey for the week . Just sharing our experience as you decide a hockey players worthiness from a middle school, JV or varsity game you got to see .  Oh and yes , my son made mid ams every year he tried out and had the privilege of going to National Camps . He didn’t go the first year - 14’s because we believed every thing everyone said - that it was a farce .  After mid ams we got a phone call asking why we didn’t attend .  We said we just didn’t see a reason to.  We were then encouraged to attend in the future.  Sure glad we did.  So. I believe the Hockey heads in Mid ams or evaluators have a sense going in who to keep an eye out for . Yes , there are bubble players for making it - and I bet a good tryout is the final determination .  

I want to also add … don’t go by who was cut or who made what team as to whether they are worthy or not - hind site - a young gentlemen made mid ams and was cut from his Pens Elite team - went to a prep school - made the NHL draft watch  list and was given an offer to an IVY league college to play NCAA div 1 .  So evaluators saw fit to send him to Nationals while the Pens Elite cut him.  To this day he is still playing hockey at that IVY league school. 

Of the kids my son went to National Camps with from Mid ams about half are still playing (in college)  It’s not a perfect system but let’s give people who know hockey some credit .

4 hours ago, Corsi said:

I just came across this thread, and messaged someone at SHAHA about the lack of 08s and 09s at MidAm's this year.  Apparently the organization missed the deadline for nominations and the top 09 players never recieved the "invite email" from MidAm.  The story I was told by someone involved in those teams was that at least on the 09 side there were multiple familes who were not happy and had they been nominated they would have participated.  I'm speaking of the player referenced before as well as the teams 2nd leading scorer from the past season as well as their top defenseman.  

Over half of the 08 SHAHA team was at Midams and ALL of them got cut.

5 hours ago, Corsi said:

They probably should just be happy they didn't waste their time and money on a meaningless camp. 

1 hour ago, aaaahockey said:

They probably should just be happy they didn't waste their time and money on a meaningless camp. 

You're entitled to your own opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion that your statement is ridiculous.

To any hockey parent out there, if your kid is nominated for the MidAm tryouts, make an effort to attend. And if your kid is selected for the MidAm dev camp and they have an interest in going, make an effort to attend that as well. Overall it's a really good experience against good competition. They'll make plenty of friends from players at the Barons, Pens, etc and even Little Caesars players that happen to live in Ohio or Reapers or Mission players that live in Indiana. And then they'll run into those players at different tournaments throughout the season. Those connections and interactions are meaningful. They'll also most likely end up playing with or against a couple kids that are going to end up at the program in a few years.

And try to shield your kid as long as possible from the poisonous negativity that so many parents lug around their entire lives.

Edited by RJUSHL

3 minutes ago, RJUSHL said:

You're entitled to your own opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion that your statement is ridiculous.

To any prospective parents out there, if your kid is nominated for the MidAm tryouts, make an effort to attend. And if your kid is selected for the MidAm dev camp and they have an interest in going, make an effort to attend that as well. Overall it's a really good experience against good competition. They'll make plenty of friends from players at the Barons, Pens, etc and even Little Caesars players that happen to live in Ohio or Reapers or Mission players that live in Indiana. And then they'll run into those players at different tournaments throughout the season. Those connections and interactions are meaningful. They'll also most likely end up playing with or against a couple kids that are going to end up at the program in a few years.

And try to shield your kid as long as possible from the poisonous negativity that so many parents lug around their entire lives.

I would agree with you - maybe even at the bantam major level (I'm on the fence) but definitely not the bantam minor year. 

21 hours ago, Corsi said:

I just came across this thread, and messaged someone at SHAHA about the lack of 08s and 09s at MidAm's this year...

16 hours ago, Pucks11 said:

Over half of the 08 SHAHA team was at Midams and ALL of them got cut.

Just clarifying....SHAHA '08 had 5 forwards, 3 D, and 1 goalie in attendance at Mid-Am camp tryouts.  Two forwards advanced to the Mid-Am camp.

52 minutes ago, PuckerUp said:

Just clarifying....SHAHA '08 had 5 forwards, 3 D, and 1 goalie in attendance at Mid-Am camp tryouts.  Two forwards advanced to the Mid-Am camp.

0000000 kids from SHAHA advanced out of Midams to the camp 2 weeks ago and this past weekend.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:35 PM, zam said:

So in a non-checking middle school game you saw a A/AA player perform better than a AAA player?  And from that experience you decided that AAA player wasn't worthy of attending Mid Am camp?

Middle school hockey is just terrible in general. Don't forget the differenced in growth and age. And even AAA players don't match well against older players, even when the older player may play a lower level. And who knows, maybe you were looking at those faux AAA players too.

10 hours ago, Saucey said:

Middle school hockey is just terrible in general. Don't forget the differenced in growth and age. And even AAA players don't match well against older players, even when the older player may play a lower level. And who knows, maybe you were looking at those faux AAA players too.

And don't forget that for every 20 "AAA" players in this area, you probably have one actual AAA player. 

Not to mention that there's a lot of really good kids that play at AA or A that financially or logistically can't do a AAA team schedule. Or they may have other interests and don't want that much commitment to something that they like just enough to have fun doing it. There's lots of reasons. Now what the higher level teams do have is quantity of good players where a lower team may have one or two or three. But individually a lot lot of kids aren't as far apart as the higher level parents like to think. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

I wouldn’t say that there are a lot of AA and A players in the area that are good enough to play AAA but chose not to. For every 50 AA players in the area maybe 1 is AAA caliber.  One of the biggest differences I see between AA and AAA players is hands and playing with head up.   Sure, a lot of AA players are fast and can skate, but they have stone hands and can’t handle the puck with their head up at speed. Watch how many passes bounce off sticks at a AA game vs AAA game. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

4 hours ago, stickboy said:

I wouldn’t say that there are a lot of AA and A players in the area that are good enough to play AAA but chose not to. For every 50 AA players in the area maybe 1 is AAA caliber.  One of the biggest differences I see between AA and AAA players is hands and playing with head up.   Sure, a lot of AA players are fast and can skate, but they have stone hands and can’t handle the puck with their head up at speed. Watch how many passes bounce off sticks at a AA game vs AAA game. 

Add to this the bottom half of most of the "AAA" teams are actually AA players and you will see plenty of pucks bouncing off sticks there too.