High registration numbers for PAHL

I heard North Pittsburgh had to close tryout registration sooner for 10u travel teams due to high number of skaters. Is this a one off case or similar situation in other PAHL orgs? Wondering if it's another unusual birth year with lots of players or some other factor...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lferg said:

I heard North Pittsburgh had to close tryout registration sooner for 10u travel teams due to high number of skaters. Is this a one off case or similar situation in other PAHL orgs? Wondering if it's another unusual birth year with lots of players or some other factor...

I have not heard of other organizations shutting down registration, however I am not surprised when it comes to NP.  RMU / Foxes has always had strong numbers for Squirt level teams as they have always had a large in-house Mite program, and NP has done a great job in building their own.  

2 hours ago, Saucey said:

This area needs more ice!

Agreed - the Crosby / Dicks Little Pens program has had a huge impact on growth of youth hockey here in western PA.  That is healthy for the sport.

Any truth to the rumor that 1-2 sheets will be built just north of current UPMC facility?  I've been hearing this for a while now but nothing of late.

Edited by fafa fohi

19 hours ago, fafa fohi said:

I have not heard of other organizations shutting down registration, however I am not surprised when it comes to NP.  RMU / Foxes has always had strong numbers for Squirt level teams as they have always had a large in-house Mite program, and NP has done a great job in building their own.  

Additionally they probably have a team forecast to support only 'x' number of teams at each level based on their ownership of ice slots.  If that reaches maximum capacity, it is better to shut registration off at that age than take all comers and have to make cuts leaving kids stranded.  

At least at Bantam/Midget players have JV/V to fall back on in most cases.

Good on North Pittsburgh to stay within their means and do it the right way as well.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 5:24 PM, lferg said:

This is true. Close to 130 kids signed up.

Had heard NP was early and before RMU and Butler and therefor parents had kids try out and in event they did not make it they couls try the others. My wife heard this from another hockey mom so I am not sure if that was a reason for increase in tryout numbers.

They also added a 6th travel team.

hockey is thriving!

• Like 1