How are tryouts going for everyone?

Word on the street is the Preds are still looking for a few players, so I doubt anyone from there will be looking for a spot.  If you look at the MidAm list it appears to be full of AAA players.  I'm not sure there is a AA kid on the list.  Quite a few disgruntled parents.

1 hour ago, HSFBLJ said:

Word on the street is the Preds are still looking for a few players, so I doubt anyone from there will be looking for a spot.  If you look at the MidAm list it appears to be full of AAA players.  I'm not sure there is a AA kid on the list.  Quite a few disgruntled parents.

where is the list? is it posted somewhere? 

1 hour ago, HSFBLJ said:

Our son who is an AA goalie was invited to the camp so there is at least one AA player there in the 2002 group.

My source said Mid AM 05 Try Outs

Two AA Forwards from Icemen

Three AA Forwards from Arctic Foxes

One AA Defensemen from Arctic Foxes

One Player AA Forward from South Pointe

One Goalies AA Goalie from South Pointe

All should have made it not one AA player.

All the Head Coaches from Big AAA Teams 05 in Mid Am did the evaluations. PPE Head Coach took all his Gold kids all Black the except  for one Black Player.

3 minutes ago, Saucey said:

Sounds like a waste of time and expense to go unless your kid is playing AAA then.

My son is an 04 and went. He did not advance but he had such a great time playing with kids of that caliber. He came home and said he knows what he needs to work on for the next time. So, for us, it really wasn't a waste at all. He may not have been picked but he definitely learned.

• Like 2

Do you people realize anyone can go ? You don’t need a invite. It’s just a money maker for USA HOCKEY. The invites are not even real invites, the coach or club sends a nominations of their best players or whomever they want. Everyone gets accepted. You can also sign up by yourself. 

1 hour ago, PeterThePuck said:

My source said Mid AM 05 Try Outs

Two AA Forwards from Icemen

Three AA Forwards from Arctic Foxes

One AA Defensemen from Arctic Foxes

One Player AA Forward from South Pointe

One Goalies AA Goalie from South Pointe

All should have made it not one AA player.

All the Head Coaches from Big AAA Teams 05 in Mid Am did the evaluations. PPE Head Coach took all his Gold kids all Black the except  for one Black Player.

This is not accurate. I know specifically that 1 Arctic Fox Forward and 1 Mt Lebo Defenseman made that camp.

I can’t speak to any of the others.  I also can’t speak to how many AA players from other areas made it.

49 minutes ago, whome87 said:

Do you people realize anyone can go ? You don’t need a invite. It’s just a money maker for USA HOCKEY. The invites are not even real invites, the coach or club sends a nominations of their best players or whomever they want. Everyone gets accepted. You can also sign up by yourself. 

This is correct.  The head coach for my son's 05 team also sent invites for all the players on the team. anyone can sign up, but they only take a limited number of players, so it can fill up. 

1 hour ago, AMR24 said:

My son is an 04 and went. He did not advance but he had such a great time playing with kids of that caliber. He came home and said he knows what he needs to work on for the next time. So, for us, it really wasn't a waste at all. He may not have been picked but he definitely learned.

I couldn't agree more. we wanted to but just couldn't this year, just for the experience. 

48 minutes ago, whome87 said:

You don't need to be so condescending. I am one of those people who don't know, and I'm interested.

It sounds like there is a vetting process in place, whether people use it properly is another story. I do know some 04s who went that I don't think are high caliber players, but people go to AAA tryouts not expecting to make it, either. ?‍♂️ Did anyone else go who thought it worthwhile?

If you make the camps, they are definitely worth while. High end AA players can make them if they are good enough and I know many who have.  In my experience the evaluators don’t care which team or level they play. Everything is not just a moneymaker. It’s great for kids to try out with better players and see how they stack up. 

It’s a straight money maker for usah. My son made it all the way to the end of 15s Not many moons ago. I went to three camps. He got a nice pat on the back along with “team grey s15” on his elite prospects profile. 

The National development teams are picked in March before the “selects” camp happen. 

5 hours ago, HSFBLJ said:

What were the numbers like for the 15/16 AAA 

what is the end result of these? They are just camps and exposer correct? this is not for fielding a team, just to be accepted in the "camp" correct? still a good experience in my opinion if good enough to make it or make it as far as the child can. 

Why is everything is a money grab?  Everything cant be free either.. no one is forcing this on anyone so if your willing to pay good for you if not your decision, not sure why everyone needs to be so negative all the time about everything.. its funny to me the amount of negativity around youth sports.. i just don't understand it.. if you don't like it don't participate.. pretty simple in my opinion.. but whatever.. you pay for what you think is worth while. camps cost money, if you wanna argue its not worth the money fine, maybe it is or it isn't, but until you do it you don't know. 

Edited by rock

42 minutes ago, PeterThePuck said:

I heard the one Arctic Fox that made for 05 accepted a spot on PPE Black Team don’t get this confused with 04’s

Who is the kid from MT. Lebo

I obviously can’t name names on this board of “who” the player from Lebo was. He’s a defenseman who played on that team last year.

Why would where the Arctic Fox player be playing next year matter?  The evaluators wouldn’t know that. It’s almost like you’re saying he didn’t earn it himself?

• Like 1

agree with Rock. These camps are not even expensive compared to most and if your kid makes the festival or national camp the cost is very reasonable as usa hockey picks up some of the cost. hockey is a costly sport. that does not mean that every camp or tryout is a money grab. Also just because a kid doesn’t have an nhl contract after one of these camps does not mean they are just a money grab. the negativity is astounding. just don’t pay or allow your kid to play hockey. it’s so simple. 

1 hour ago, rock said:

what is the end result of these? They are just camps and exposer correct? this is not for fielding a team, just to be accepted in the "camp" correct? still a good experience in my opinion if good enough to make it or make it as far as the child can. 

Why is everything is a money grab?  Everything cant be free either.. no one is forcing this on anyone so if your willing to pay good for you if not your decision, not sure why everyone needs to be so negative all the time about everything.. its funny to me the amount of negativity around youth sports.. i just don't understand it.. if you don't like it don't participate.. pretty simple in my opinion.. but whatever.. you pay for what you think is worth while. camps cost money, if you wanna argue its not worth the money fine, maybe it is or it isn't, but until you do it you don't know. 

It’s sold as a pathway to the national teams. There are no scouts there. Coaches from pens & Sylvania do the evaluations. 

1 hour ago, pghhockey1 said:

agree with Rock. These camps are not even expensive compared to most and if your kid makes the festival or national camp the cost is very reasonable as usa hockey picks up some of the cost. hockey is a costly sport. that does not mean that every camp or tryout is a money grab. Also just because a kid doesn’t have an nhl contract after one of these camps does not mean they are just a money grab. the negativity is astounding. just don’t pay or allow your kid to play hockey. it’s so simple. 

USA hockey picks up zero cost. The year my son made it to Amherst the entire process with travel probably cost us about $1500

• Like 1