How are tryouts going for everyone?

I had an 02 AA player just didn’t want to spend that kind of money on AAA Hockey it’s a waste.

When we went to Mid Am most of the top AA kids were just as good or not better than the AAA players.

The way the system is set up is no fair to AA players and I wouldn’t recommend spending $600 to $800 for a weekend to try out for a rig try out.

A top AA player works just as hard as AAA player. It’s a injustice to that kid some families can’t afford AAA and some families don’t want to travel that shouldn’t be held against him in this Try-Out.

If it was run the right way evaluators should come in from the outside of the MID AM area.

yes, not surprising that you have to pay to travel. most parents don’t get a hotel at the camps - the kids stay and it is included in the camp fee which is nominal. what is stated above is opposite of my experience. we had contact with college and  Junior coaches who watched the camps. 

7 minutes ago, pghhockey1 said:

yes, not surprising that you have to pay to travel. most parents don’t get a hotel at the camps - the kids stay and it is included in the camp fee which is nominal. what is stated above is opposite of my experience. we had contact with college and  Junior coaches who watched the camps. 

Camp 1 the kids don’t stay for free. With fees, travel and hotel camp 1 will run you about $600. 

19 minutes ago, PuckHead7 said:

8 goalies and 52ish skaters.  Talent is Okay!

Better than expected talent from a few kids outside of that it’s the average aa/aaa looking players. 48 skaters.

the 03’s have a lot at tryouts. Just guessing maybe 65 and the talent looks pretty good. 

The brief time I caught the 04’s it looked like about 25 max. Poor skaters and lower end talent. Probably couldn’t compete against AA for their age. 

9 hours ago, Saucey said:

You don't need to be so condescending. I am one of those people who don't know, and I'm interested.

It sounds like there is a vetting process in place, whether people use it properly is another story. I do know some 04s who went that I don't think are high caliber players, but people go to AAA tryouts not expecting to make it, either. ?‍♂️ Did anyone else go who thought it worthwhile?

why does everyone care what people spend their money on for hockey.  The kids that made it are excited and get to play with top players. Sad to see how people can be so brutal and petty about kids 

4 hours ago, whome87 said:

Better than expected talent from a few kids outside of that it’s the average aa/aaa looking players. 48 skaters.

the 03’s have a lot at tryouts. Just guessing maybe 65 and the talent looks pretty good. 

The brief time I caught the 04’s it looked like about 25 max. Poor skaters and lower end talent. Probably couldn’t compete against AA for their age. 

are the 03s and 04s Predators from last year? did preds have a AAA team for 04s last year 

1 hour ago, parker said:

05 Preds will beat Pens Gold team this year when pens finally have to play them.  Poor Pens...

That seems like an outrageous thing to say...

05 Preds would have lost to them last year based upon what I’ve heard, and apparently the Preds lost their 2 best players to PPE Gold.  Is that true? 

And - per a parent from that team - also lost the coach who knew what he was doing?

Or is that bad info I’m getting?  You may know more than I do...

8 hours ago, bender05 said:

why does everyone care what people spend their money on for hockey.  The kids that made it are excited and get to play with top players. Sad to see how people can be so brutal and petty about kids 

I didn't mean it as a criticism. Just stating some people go, for whatever reason. Keep asking if it is worth it to go, sounds like a lot of people think it is. Seems to fill up.

9 hours ago, hipcheck66 said:

That seems like an outrageous thing to say...

05 Preds would have lost to them last year based upon what I’ve heard, and apparently the Preds lost their 2 best players to PPE Gold.  Is that true? 

And - per a parent from that team - also lost the coach who knew what he was doing?

Or is that bad info I’m getting?  You may know more than I do...

Yeah I'll believe that they can beat Pens Gold when I see it. 

Preds  Update

18U- Will struggle to score goals. Most of their talent aged out from last year and the kids moving up from 16AAA last year were one of the worst teams in the country. 3 of those players will be lucky to make the team and 2 play D. A player from AA Foxes last year was the best offensive talent at tryouts and I don't know if he will stay. Team will be average at best.

16U- This is a good team. Not sure what they will do on a national level but there is talent here. Their top end guys are players.

15U- As someone mentioned previously this team wouldn't win AA PAHL. A few of these players may decline also. Don't want to get bashed all season long.

9 minutes ago, discodan said:

Preds  Update

18U- Will struggle to score goals. Most of their talent aged out from last year and the kids moving up from 16AAA last year were one of the worst teams in the country. 3 of those players will be lucky to make the team and 2 play D. A player from AA Foxes last year was the best offensive talent at tryouts and I don't know if he will stay. Team will be average at best.

16U- This is a good team. Not sure what they will do on a national level but there is talent here. Their top end guys are players.

15U- As someone mentioned previously this team wouldn't win AA PAHL. A few of these players may decline also. Don't want to get bashed all season long.

And what about the 14U update???  I have heard the same about the 15U team being generally a mix of AA players from several PAHL orgs last year.