Aviators fold?

I think their "tryouts" have been completed. If you read the information on how they operate tryouts/team placement it gives a thorough explanation along with plenty of cause for concern. For some reason, the PAHL wants them to stay afloat. They are propped up by a grant from the Penguins Foundation (as noted on their website) how many other associations get a nickel from them? The master plan is to put them into the Hunt Armory if it ever comes to fruition at which point, voila now the PPE have an association in the PAHL.

9 minutes ago, sadday4hockey said:

I think their "tryouts" have been completed. If you read the information on how they operate tryouts/team placement it gives a thorough explanation along with plenty of cause for concern. For some reason, the PAHL wants them to stay afloat. They are propped up by a grant from the Penguins Foundation (as noted on their website) how many other associations get a nickel from them? The master plan is to put them into the Hunt Armory if it ever comes to fruition at which point, voila now the PPE have an association in the PAHL.

I may be wrong but the Pens offer a website service to any hockey organization that wants it. I bet that's all that is. 

The Pens pay for the league websites for both PAHL and PIHL and that's a great thing. I don't believe they pay for any individual association's website. As far as how it would work if the Armory pans out, that's anyone guess. There has been rumor of folding the Black teams and the next logical step would be to have AA teams instead. There has also been talk of a second Excel Academy in conjunction with Central Catholic. I think it's been about 18 months that "there has to be a decision by the end of next month" about the Armory.

12 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

The Pens pay for the league websites for both PAHL and PIHL and that's a great thing. I don't believe they pay for any individual association's website. As far as how it would work if the Armory pans out, that's anyone guess. There has been rumor of folding the Black teams and the next logical step would be to have AA teams instead. There has also been talk of a second Excel Academy in conjunction with Central Catholic. I think it's been about 18 months that "there has to be a decision by the end of next month" about the Armory.

Yes, that is what I was thinking of with the websites.

12 hours ago, Paul Baxter said:

We for sure need more ice in Western PA but not necessarily in places where parking is going to be an issue, and that will be the case with the armory.  That could possibly be one of the worst places to park should the rink open and a team start up.  

It is still intended to happen, but no date has been set for breaking ground. At one point there was talk about putting some parking under roof there since the building is really huge, but that has apparently been nixed. As of now it seems they are thinking that parking will have to happen in local garages and on the streets. Not only will parking be a nightmare, but I have to think the local residents are going to come to hate the rink because of these issues. The closest garage is actually across the busway, and also serves the Whole Foods complex.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

It is still intended to happen, but no date has been set for breaking ground. At one point there was talk about putting some parking under roof there since the building is really huge, but that has apparently been nixed. As of now it seems they are thinking that parking will have to happen in local garages and on the streets. Not only will parking be a nightmare, but I have to think the local residents are going to come to hate the rink because of these issues. The closest garage is actually across the busway, and also serves the Whole Foods complex.

The original plan had a parking garage at ground level and a second floor built for the ice facilities, etc.  I would assume that that would not change, as the Pens/owners would get major pushback from Shadyside residents and businesses.

Edited by PuckHead7

3 hours ago, PuckHead7 said:

The original plan had a parking garage at ground level and a second floor built for the ice facilities, etc.  I would assume that that would not change, as the Pens/owners would get major pushback from Shadyside residents and businesses.

I did see drawings of what you mention... I just find it hard to believe they can put enough parking for 2-3 rotations of cars/parents/kids into that space at once. 

that means they need 100+ spaces to properly accommodate things... Can't see 100 spaces fitting underneath a hockey rink and the above poster is correct neighbors will fight this...

3 hours ago, PuckHead7 said:

I'd seen that, and heard it, too, but someone who is in a position to know told me what I said above. Of course, until we see what happens in reality it's all speculation and rumor. In any case there is no good way to get vehicles into, or out of, the complex in any number, like what would happen at the end of a game/practice slot, either. It's a cool old building, but I personally can't see any way they can make it work with the neighborhood.

Be happy to play there, I guess, but I just have my doubts.

6 hours ago, Lifelongbender said:

I'd seen that, and heard it, too, but someone who is in a position to know told me what I said above. Of course, until we see what happens in reality it's all speculation and rumor. In any case there is no good way to get vehicles into, or out of, the complex in any number, like what would happen at the end of a game/practice slot, either. It's a cool old building, but I personally can't see any way they can make it work with the neighborhood.

Be happy to play there, I guess, but I just have my doubts.

If that’s the case, I’d expect major pushback.  The school across the street has been allowed to close the street for its lunch time student recess for over 50 years.  Cars can not pass through Emerson Street between 11ish to 12:30pm Monday-Friday during the school year.  Yes, that’s not a terribly busy time, but I’d certainly expect the residents and local businesses in the area to be up in arms.  The parking in that vicinity is a complete nightmare as it is.  Especially during the day and on weekends.  There were many community meetings about these concerns.  Once the locals find out the plan, shit’ll hit the fan.

If the Penguins are involved, I’d  suggest that they do it the right way or don’t do it at all.  But hey, I’m a nobody.  Don’t need to listen to me.

It's all about the $$$$$$. If they can get the Penguins Foundation to put in a large enough chunk of "free money" and the Excel executives can profit on the back end, rest assured that they will probably get it done. Remember, the Mayor and other politicians are in their back pocket so who do you think wins that battle the special interests or the local families?

The original plan had parking for over 150 cars, it also contained a friendly traffic pattern that worked for the school that you entered on one side of the building and left from the other side and would accommodate the school closing the street. The parking revenue alone paid for the project, The ice rink and other parts of the project just needed to break even, if they made money it was a plus. I can't speak for the new plans, but I am sure they are similar but could be affected by changes or unforeseen structural issue that may cause changes.

2 hours ago, miked said:

lots of info on their website.

http://www.thearmorypgh.com/

looks like they are saying 125 in garage spots, and agreements with local lots. everything will be by valet.

Thanks for sharing.  By the looks and description, this is strictly going to be a skating rink, not a hockey rink. 

(see all the pics and descriptions).  If the building is ~300 feet long, and a regulation rink is ~200 feet, it will never fit in the building as depicted in the drawings - the rink is shown as square and less than half the length.  It's just a public skating rink.).