Esmark stars 03

3 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I can come up with a few possible answers. They didn't want to play for Yuri. They were replaced by a Russian import. They don't want to waste another 20K traveling to Minnesota for 4-5 days at a time.

I think I've heard more than one story about players getting cut right before Dec. 31 of the season.  Thus putting the player in a really bad situation... that combined with the other shenanigans and you probably have enough reason to leave.

• Like 2

Nothing within this topic is remotely accurate.  There is often a false belief that the majority of the team always remains as tryouts are approaching--from rumors--and therefore players don't think they have an opportunity/or that there is not open spots.

A LOT did NOT leave for the Barons.  Players were cut.  It happens.  The majority of the core remains.

I see no reason NOT to want to play for Coach Yuri.  Those are your issues, not his OR those who have chosen to play on his team.

The Esmark travel schedule is not $20K and the NAPHL has worked to REDUCE the playing days in a weekend.

Russian imports DO NOT come to fruition UNTIL all other avenues have been exhausted.  But I have heard that Arizona, Alaska & Illinois are A-OK!

NO players were cut before or at Dec 31.  Stop spreading rumors.

Any shenanigans that occur are directly from sneaky parents/players.

The Barons were recruiting long BEFORE any Mid-am team try-outs occurred...FACT!

Board Moderators:  STOP allowing folks to drag coaches, players, or organizations through the mud! 

• Like 3

as far as i know all but 4 kids remain 2 kids never showed up of which one was from the cleveland area so thats understandable and 2 got cut thats hardly a lot of kids...

as far as not playing for yuri are you kidding me? that man is one of the top coaches in the area my boy played for him years ago and im not going out on a limb here and saying he is the best coach my kid has ever had and that includes jrs ..never seen a coach so  dedicated to his players and helping them move on also seen him help other players even when there was no chance of them playing for esmark the guy is all about hockey so anyone saying they dont want to play for yuri is just hog wash..

20000 dollars where did you pull that figure from surely you have evidence to back that statement up...i never came close to that figure and all top tier teams travel thats part of the gig but $ 20000 thats just laughable and as far as tuition esmark  has the lowest  fees in  pitt  and they dont come after you later in the year for a slush fund...

as far as shenanigans thats a blanket statement ..really ? what shenanigans?any one above please back up your statements i can guarantee you cant...

this board is and always has been a cesspool of negativity and jealous and disgruntled parents players towards both esmark and pens elite organizations quite frankly its a testament to both organizations how relevant and competitive  they are year in and year out in districts and nationals despite playing in a small market and that should be celebrated 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EsmarkStars said:

Nothing within this topic is remotely accurate.  There is often a false belief that the majority of the team always remains as tryouts are approaching--from rumors--and therefore players don't think they have an opportunity/or that there is not open spots.

A LOT did NOT leave for the Barons.  Players were cut.  It happens.  The majority of the core remains.

I see no reason NOT to want to play for Coach Yuri.  Those are your issues, not his OR those who have chosen to play on his team.

The Esmark travel schedule is not $20K and the NAPHL has worked to REDUCE the playing days in a weekend.

Russian imports DO NOT come to fruition UNTIL all other avenues have been exhausted.  But I have heard that Arizona, Alaska & Illinois are A-OK!

NO players were cut before or at Dec 31.  Stop spreading rumors.

Any shenanigans that occur are directly from sneaky parents/players.

The Barons were recruiting long BEFORE any Mid-am team try-outs occurred...FACT!

Board Moderators:  STOP allowing folks to drag coaches, players, or organizations through the mud! 

Moderators prohibiting negative comments would lead to a virtual elimination of discussion. For obvious reasons, we disallow criticism of kids as well as potentially libelous accusations against adults. And sometimes individual trolls. That's pretty much it.

You, on the other hand, are always welcome to "correct the record" yourself, as you did above. I don't have the omniscience to do so myself, nor does @PaulBaxter

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hoomie said:

Yes, you allowed to spread lies on here.  Don't call them out or you'll get threatened with a ban.

@Hoomie

This was an unnecessary post.  

The only people banned were doing personal attacks and had been repeatedly warned.  People post their own thoughts and experiences here.  We can’t validate the truth of every post. A community like this will tend to self balance itself by people posting on various sides of a topic.

If we know something (by our own experience) to be not truthful, then we will act accordingly.

But we don't have the time, means or knowledge to police and investigate the validity of every single comment on this forum. 

• Like 1

There is some truth to both sides here. Here’s the real facts. 

Esmark U16 (2003) had 16 2003 birth year players at tryouts. That’s it. 12 forwards 4 defenseman. 

The best 2003 esmark player did not sign up. He left on his own for the baron’s. 3 other players also did not sign back up. 

Yes, the core of the same 4 players are still there. 

Yuri in a attempt to fill the team is contacting any 2003 parent that will listen to what he has to say. I was one of them. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EsmarkStars said:

And there you have it. ONE of these has to be incorrect.

2 hours ago, whome87 said:

Esmark U16 (2003) had 16 2003 birth year players at tryouts. That’s it. 12 forwards 4 defenseman. 

18 minutes ago, The King said:

Re: Esmark-The market expands when you’re bringing in European imports so let’s get that straight. And let’s not make out the 16’s coach to be the mother Theresa of youth hockey. He makes a lot of money off of runes I’m WPA and has for some time. It’s also well established that the 18U level at Esmark is the hockey career graveyard with a few exceptions over the years. Every once in a while they will get lucky and have the top prospect come to play before they go away. 

Re: Pens- their market is a little bigger too. Check the birthplaces of the U16 national champs. How many of those players are returning? And how do such dominant hockey clubs get clobbered by the Barons? Maybe some people have grown a spine and realized that these people don’t own the hockey market anymore and some have realized the player not the club crates their opportunities. Other than the league and affiliations, these clubs do very little to build the player.

2 hours ago, The King said:

Unnecessary post. People have repeatedly been banned by moderators that have gotten high on a minimal amount of virtual authority, irregardless of their posting of experiences and helpful information. Be consistent 

Hello @The King Welcome to the board. 

FYI, how this board is moderated or operated is not up for public discussion. 

You have now been officially warned.  Further posts of this type may result in account limitations, suspension or ban.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, EsmarkStars said:

Hello @EsmarkStars

Thank you for your detailed reply to the post(s) above. 

This is an open forum for people to discuss youth hockey.  We have no means of verifying the validity of posts made to this forum, which is the way most forums around the planet operate.  I am glad you took the time to post a reply and to clarify things from your side and encourage you to continue posting here and correcting what you see as incorrect.

Regarding "Stop allowing...".  If the moderators know a post to be factually incorrect, we will take appropriate action.  But we as moderators have a limited realm of knowledge (aka "we don't know everything")… so if we start pulling various posts (pro/con/whatever) it would basically cause most of the content to be removed, thus defeating the purpose of an open forum.

Forums/discussion boards are meant to be discussion places and positive and negative (or pro and con) comments tend to balance themselves out over time.  Beyond that, we have no idea about the truthfulness or accuracy of any particular post. 

I could give a little more insight on the esmark tryout. First of all, the person posting for esmark is a board member, she has a vested interest in seeing the team succeed, her player is one of the core. I hope this does not break any rules, I did not use any names. 

The turnout was so bad, on day two the 04’s esmark had no interest in got moved up to skate with the 03’s to make it look more full. 

Yuri told me yesterday, as he tried to recruit my son the team is sitting at 9 forwards & 4 defenseman. He did cut 2 players and replaced them with 03’s from the predators. his hope is to fill the team with higher skilled players or imports. 

I’m also confused why he is inviting players to skate at different rinks with him that are not PIA. Is their ice down ? Or is this more of his shady behavior ? 

I like yuri somewhat & do think he’s a decent coach but the game has passed him by. I personally would never let my son play for him or that rotten core ( if you can call it that ) that’s left at this particular birth year. 

4 hours ago, The King said:

It’s in not significant but when you’re framing these 2 clubs as making the best of a small demographic then you need to expound on your biased claim. The leagues these 2 clubs participate have PREVIOUSLY helped their players achieve a higher level. But as the sport grows, other leagues are showing that the T1EHL is not the only go to. In fact, it’s not even the top tier 1 league anymore. Esmark has done well in that NAHL fundraiser they participate in but come on, they have prospered off of selling uneducated people on the hope of getting one of the few tenders they are promised every year. Eventually, people have realized that their players don’t improve and they are just lining the pockets of the career “coaches” out there. The player pool in Pittsburgh is growing so what you will see is that, each program will have to finally price their worth based on coaching and development merit, not by sales chops anymore. 

Prep school’s & the HPHL are the top leagues. Just look at the rankings at every birth year. The T1EHL is falling apart, it’s not what it was just 4 years ago. it’s no secret Pittsburgh & Buffalo are trying to get out. 

PPE do a excellent job of developing players but it’s turned into a rich man’s program due to the forceful Tactics of their school. Let’s not talk about the black teams at the younger levels, those teams are glorified Pahl AA teams. We all know those teams are truly used for pens & friends and to sell more ice. 

Im not sure who the barons are beating. Their team’s at every birth year are at the bottom half of the rankings. You must be referring to the district tournament two seasons ago when the 15s upset ppe here in Pittsburgh. 

If your player’s team has ever played the baron’s you would know their home rink makes the frozen pond look like it’s state of the art. The baron’s don’t develop players and their fees are higher than any in pittsburgh.  

Travel fees for any AAA program usually run between 5-10k so add your team fees on top of that with equipment it’s not out of the question that a aaa season could push into 20k. In my experience most aaa seasons run about 14-15k. 

• Like 3

It is better that an organization decide that their tryout only yielded 13 skaters at the level they need to compete at AAA then to just fill a roster with whoever shows up. The latter just creates the “faux AAA” teams that have been a big complaint on this board for years. 

11 hours ago, The King said:

It’s in not significant but when you’re framing these 2 clubs as making the best of a small demographic then you need to expound on your biased claim. The leagues these 2 clubs participate have PREVIOUSLY helped their players achieve a higher level. But as the sport grows, other leagues are showing that the T1EHL is not the only go to. In fact, it’s not even the top tier 1 league anymore. Esmark has done well in that NAHL fundraiser they participate in but come on, they have prospered off of selling uneducated people on the hope of getting one of the few tenders they are promised every year. Eventually, people have realized that their players don’t improve and they are just lining the pockets of the career “coaches” out there. The player pool in Pittsburgh is growing so what you will see is that, each program will have to finally price their worth based on coaching and development merit, not by sales chops anymore. 

Lots of good info in here that parents need to read.  

Question.  If Yuri was such a great coach and this is his "career", why hasn't he moved on and coached at a higher level? Let's be honest, no one coaching a youth hockey team should make a salary.  These career coaches are stains on WPA hockey. As far as the Pens, they have career coaches as well.  But they are disguised when they are given jobs at the UPMC rink as "skills professionals".  LOL.  

7 hours ago, Ynot02 said:

It is better that an organization decide that their tryout only yielded 13 skaters at the level they need to compete at AAA then to just fill a roster with whoever shows up. The latter just creates the “faux AAA” teams that have been a big complaint on this board for years. 

Unfortunately that is exactly what yuri is doing! Trying to fill teams! Last year at this birth year he drove all the way to Sylvania, Ohio during the mid am camp trying to recruit 03s. Just like this year, not enough kids signed up. He ended up taking players last year that never played AA hockey. 

Part of the problem, by the time kids get to midget 90% of the parents are educated and understand what their child’s end game really is, even the top percentage of highly skilled kids are a long shot to even get a smell of Ncaa d1 college hockey. 

Midget parents understand for the most part, save that 10-15k a year for 3 years and put it towards college. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, pghhockey1 said:

who has gotten “clobbered” by the barons? and why is it so significant to people that a high level AAA team like pens 16u gets kids to come here from other states?

Agreed, and only 3 of the Barons 13 teams from Squirt to U18 had a winning record last year ( and two of the three were from the Squirt level )

https://myhockeyrankings.com/association_info.php?a=99

It is my understanding that PPE is out of the EHL this year. And they by no means are claiming to make the best of a small demographic - they are admittedly and obviously trying to collect the best players from all over the country in an effort to be the top team in the country. That being said, they did pick a couple of local kids this year at 16 who have no political conncections whatsoever, along with a couple of kids who will move here from 3000 miles away.