PAHL preseason groupings

12u looks a little heavy at the top. 3 SCIR teams, 2 North Hills, 2 Foxes if they make the cut. So North hills went from no AA to possibly 2, and now huskies may have a AA, Combine that with 3 SCIR and an Allegheny team, what is going on North East of the city and is there now that much talent in that area. Add Crawford and Erie to the mix. Looks like 12u is hogging all the talent in the area. I think last year, there was 3 to 4 good team, 1 or 2 middle and the bottom was the 06 BY teams. Even if they split this in half, it has to be a major difference in talent from team to team.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, mrfreeze said:

12u looks a little heavy at the top. 3 SCIR teams, 2 North Hills, 2 Foxes if they make the cut. So North hills went from no AA to possibly 2, and now huskies may have a AA, Combine that with 3 SCIR and an Allegheny team, what is going on North East of the city and is there now that much talent in that area. Add Crawford and Erie to the mix. Looks like 12u is hogging all the talent in the area. I think last year, there was 3 to 4 good team, 1 or 2 middle and the bottom was the 06 BY teams. Even if they split this in half, it has to be a major difference in talent from team to team.

From my understanding it is all based on where the kids played last year.  SCIR has birth year teams so basically the birth year teams all played AA hockey.  I am told it doesn't matter if it is Squirt AA or Peewee AA.  So for bracketing purposes, the 07 and 06 teams are the same because they are comprised almost entirely of AA players.  The third SCIR team has some kids that played "AAA" last year, some AA and some that played on the highest non birth year team.  The Foxes 07 team is full of former Squirt AA players.  Same goes for the Huskies.  The Viper Stars 07 team is full of former Squirt AA players and "AAA" players.  The Viper Stars 06 team is full of former AAA players.   A guess, all of the 07 teams are not going to play AA.  Not sure about the nonbirth year SCIR team.  They may squeak in.        

26 minutes ago, twoboys said:

From my understanding it is all based on where the kids played last year.  SCIR has birth year teams so basically the birth year teams all played AA hockey.  I am told it doesn't matter if it is Squirt AA or Peewee AA.  So for bracketing purposes, the 07 and 06 teams are the same because they are comprised almost entirely of AA players.  The third SCIR team has some kids that played "AAA" last year, some AA and some that played on the highest non birth year team.  The Foxes 07 team is full of former Squirt AA players.  Same goes for the Huskies.  The Viper Stars 07 team is full of former Squirt AA players and "AAA" players.  The Viper Stars 06 team is full of former AAA players.   A guess, all of the 07 teams are not going to play AA.  Not sure about the nonbirth year SCIR team.  They may squeak in.        

Can someone please tell me why it is a good thing to be able to split AA in half, talent wise? Those first year birth year teams should not be in AA unless they can hang with the talent in AA. I had the pleasure of listening to the coach of one of those teams just scream at the kids after they lost to another team of mostly older players. There is a huge difference in a year of development sometimes. I thought, gee, how fun for those kids to lose all their games and then have their coach railing on them for something that they can't control, when they could have had a competitive year in a Division below or a mixed birth year. In years past, but for their birth tear designation, a first year wouldn't have played AA that year, or would have done it on a team of mostly second years. I just don't understand this fascination with birth year. And how good is it for the older kids to play those younger birth year teams? Just don't get it. Add in the talent suck of the PPE and all  these independents, and PAHL AA has just been an uneven, watered down mess at some age groups the last few years. What does AA even mean now?

On 8/20/2018 at 8:30 AM, discodan said:

Was at that game. Looked like both teams were placed correctly. I would be a little concerned with the Preds playing with 12 skaters but I would guess they have a full roster at that level. SCIR had a full bench. Game would of probably went the other way if the Preds had a deeper bench but who knows. Looks like teams are fairly even.

Since this is the first AA 16U game played, what was the speed like? Are these first year midgets or a mixture? Was it a physical game and how was it called?