The Cost of AAA Hockey

https://thehockeythinktank.com/2019/03/26/the-cost-of-aaa-hockey/?fbclid=IwAR2Y7afd-STRAI38ff1O-Qjmxqsi7KR9ijXbJzJm9MJcgQNI0duo8b-D6Wo

Interesting read. I actually think some of the criticisms regarding development can also be applied to some PAHL organizations. If the board is primarily made up of parents from one team, the top teams or one age group, then guess who gets the focus of that organization. Development should happen at all levels, and you need a real plan in place to do it. Coaching too. The AA teams or the independent teams in PAHL are the smallest numbers of most Pahl organizations, and they shouldn't be the only ones making decisions for all.

I agree that most parents, even parents on a house team, would be willing to pay for a "qualified" coach.  This is not just limited to parents of kids on AAA teams.  I know numerous parents that dreaded tryouts because they didn't want their child to end up with the same coach for the third year in a row.  And the kids aren't AAA or AA kids.

I do think it is unreasonable to limit a AAA team to only 3 away tournaments.  In many locations, there are only one or two AAA teams.  AAA teams are forced to travel to find games.      

20 hours ago, twoboys said:

I agree that most parents, even parents on a house team, would be willing to pay for a "qualified" coach.  This is not just limited to parents of kids on AAA teams.  I know numerous parents that dreaded tryouts because they didn't want their child to end up with the same coach for the third year in a row.  And the kids aren't AAA or AA kids.

I do think it is unreasonable to limit a AAA team to only 3 away tournaments.  In many locations, there are only one or two AAA teams.  AAA teams are forced to travel to find games.      

Word is top teams from the Bantam and Midget level for Foxes, SCIR, NP are going to use paid coaches rather than parent coaches, and in most cases the cost is around an additional $300-350 for the season.  In speaking with other parent coaches, they seem to be embracing this direction organizations are taking.  NP is even using non-parent coaches for their U10 and U12 top teams as well.  But key word is "qualified".........

21 minutes ago, fafa fohi said:

Word is top teams from the Bantam and Midget level for Foxes, SCIR, NP are going to use paid coaches rather than parent coaches, and in most cases the cost is around an additional $300-350 for the season.  In speaking with other parent coaches, they seem to be embracing this direction organizations are taking.  NP is even using non-parent coaches for their U10 and U12 top teams as well.  But key word is "qualified".........

The paid coaching attracted Pens Elite players back in some instances, at least those who made black. It may be that parents predominantly want development, and if an organization can deliver that, and the perception is paid coaching gives you that, this is what will attract talent. That may be a way for PAHL to retain the AA players who go play for Pens black.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saucey said:

The paid coaching attracted Pens Elite players back in some instances, at least those who made black. It may be that parents predominantly want development, and if an organization can deliver that, and the perception is paid coaching gives you that, this is what will attract talent. That may be a way for PAHL to retain the AA players who go play for Pens black.

There are still parent coaches for almost ALL the Pens teams with 2 birth year teams. And at least 1 black team is struggling to field a team and trying to grab players that didn't even tryout. 

11 hours ago, Questions21 said:

There are still parent coaches for almost ALL the Pens teams with 2 birth year teams. And at least 1 black team is struggling to field a team and trying to grab players that didn't even tryout. 

That stinks. Not the parent coaches, being paid or not does not equate to  good coaching imho. However, when you set teams and Pens are out there poaching, that makes for difficulties for the teams the poached kids leave behind.

11 hours ago, Questions21 said:

Which PPE year team would that be?

4 minutes ago, aaaahockey said:

07 black

Like 05, 07 is a low birth year for some reason. 04 and 06 are huge number wise. Think they squeezed out the next birth year. Programs need to be conscious about picking teams with the next birth year, even if it means adding a team if possible. Plus a bunch of 07s went to NP this year.