2019 Keystone State Games - Central Region

Central Region Ice Hockey
The 2019 Keystone State Games Ice Hockey Tournament will be held Friday, August 2, 2019 through Sunday, August 4, 2019 at The York Ice Arena in York PA. This is a USA Hockey sanctioned tournament.

Players wanting to tryout for the Central Region Teams must reside in the following counties of PA:
AREAS INCLUDEAltoona, Armstrong County, Beaver County, Butler County, Erie, Indiana, I-80 Corridor, Johnstown, Lawrence County, Meadville, and State College
COUNTIES INCLUDESArmstrong, Bedford, Beaver, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Cameron, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Lawerence, Lycoming, Mercer, McKean, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Potter, Snyder, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren
Age requirements for the tournament levels are based on the 2018-2019 season. Example - A player who was a Pee Wee player this season year (12 U) can play for that division even if they are moving up as a 14 U player for next season. Age cut off is 12/31/2018.
Some of our Tryout Info is Listed Below:

Saturday June 15th - Erie Bank Arena 
Pee Wee and Bantam - 2:30 PM Midget 16 - U and Junior Female – 3:30 PM
Midget 18 - U - 4:30 PM
Saturday June 22nd  - Baierl Ice Complex 
Pee Wee - 12:00 PM NOON
Bantam - 1:00 PM
Junior Female - 2:00 PM
Midget 16-U - 3:00 PM
Midget 18-U - 4:00 PM
All players must be USA Hockey Registered and must pre-register on line prior to attending a tryout. Confirmation of pre-registration is required..
Edited by Pa Hockey

Oh, thank goodness. A meaningless August event will be heading to our area for 3 years. Presumably in the confines of the UPMC Center which means the West will be loaded at all age groups and the South and East will now be limited in numbers and the Central will bring up the rear as usual. That's awesome.

Here is the update on our teams (Rosters will be released when finalized prior to the practices ) UPDATED 07-04-19

The Pee Wee Team U-12 (2006 + 2007 BY) has 18 Players Registered ( 1 Defense + 0 Forwards are needed) 
    The Bantam U -14 (2004 + 2005 BY) has 14 Players Registered (2 Defense + 3 Forwards are needed)
    The U-16 Midget Team (2002 + 2003 BY) has 15 Players Registered  (Defense + 2 Forwards are needed) 
    The Midget U-18 (2000 + 2001 BY) has 18 Players Registered (Defense + 1 Forwards are needed) 
     The Junior Female Team (1999 - 2006 BY) has 12 Players Registered (1 Goaltender 3 Forwards are needed)

The Central Region should be pretty healthy for the 18-U FULL and 12-U Pee Wee FULL Teams with limited space available 

We are looking for a handful of players for the 16-U Midget (3) 14-U Bantam (3) and 19-U Junior Female (2 Forwards) Teams 

Thanks to all who have committed and reached out to us !

25 years of the Keystone State Games and competing against the South East and West is knowing that full rosters gives the Central a much better chance of success. All of the teams skate at least 3 1/2 lines and when the Central Region has had success in this event, we have been able to track it to full rosters for that particular team. In addition, it helps when the better players from the region participate, which happens every so often and will be more likely to happen if this event moves West . 

in 2011. when the Central won the Sharrer Cup, The MIdget  18-U had 20 players (Silver) , the Bantam 14-U (Silver) had 20 Players, the Pee Wee Team (Silver) had twenty players Junior Male (Gold) had 20 Players  and the Junior Female (Bronze) had 13 Players. 

Edited by Pa Hockey

Golden Opportunity for Midget 18 U (2000, 2001) Midget 16 U (2002, 2003) and Bantam 14 U (2004,2005) in Pennsylvania – Last Call

HI everyone:

The Keystone State Games have been in operation since 1982 and for nearly 40 years each summer this Olympic Style Event has host many of Pennsylvania’s finest hockey players from NHL Superstars like Mike Richter (South) to NHL Players Matt Bartkowski (West) RJ Umberger (West) Jay Caufield (South) Nick and Markus Foligno (East) John Zeiler (West) to Olympians Ryan Zapolski (Central) and Bobby Sanguinetti (East)  to Pennsylvania High School Champions Nick Russo (6 Times Bayard Rustin), Jim McVay (5 Times Bethel Park) and Tom Coyne (2 Times  Central Bucks South) to an array of NCAA and ACHA Hockey Players including 2018-19 ACHA Divison 1 Scoring champion Jamie Mauro of Slippery Rock University (Central).

If you live in Pennsylvania and would like to participate in this event, we may have a great opportunity for you if you are a Midget 18 U (2000, 2001) Midget 16 U (2002, 2003) and Bantam 14 U (2004,2005) Player. The beautiful thing about the Keystone Games is that our Region Coordinators work together to shore up rosters at the last minute and if you live in Pennsylvania, please contact the coaches and region coordinators below. The Keystone State Games are August 2-4, 2019 at the York City Ice Arena.

West Region – Midget 18 U Players

If you are a Midget 18 U Player (2000, 2001 or exceptional 2002), there is an opportunity to play for one of the great coaches in Pennsylvania History in Bethel Park’s Jim McVay. The West Region is looking for Defensemen and Forwards to round out their roster and if you are interested, please contact Will Miller at  ksgwest@gmail.com or Jim McVay at chimeramcv@aol.com for details.

Central Region – Midget 16 U Players

If you are a Midget 16 U Player (2002 or 2003), there is an opportunity to play for Greg Cox of Cathedral Prep. The Central is looking for a couple of Defensemen and Forwards to round out their roster and if you are interested, please contact Jeff Mauro at Jeffmauro.@aol.com or Greg Cox cox@velocity.net  for details.

Central Region – Bantam 14 U Players

If you are a Midget 14 U Player (2004 or 2005), there is an opportunity to play for Jason DeTesta of Greensburg Salem. The Central is looking for a couple of Defensemen and Forwards to round out their roster and if you are interested, please contact Jeff Mauro at Jeffmauro.@aol.com or Jason DeTesta  coachdetesta@yahoo.com  for details.

Finally, after 24 years of the Keystone State Games, I would like to give a shootout to my 1999 Gold Medal Midget 18 U team celebrating 20 years since we earned a championship victory in Johnstown over my good friend and rival Andy Sarge Richards of the South Region. We look forward to another great competition and seeing all of our good friends in York in a couple of weeks!

Jeff Mauro – Central Region Coordinator – Keystone State Games

Central Region – Midget 16 U Players

If you are a Midget 16 U Player (2002 or 2003), there is an opportunity to play for Greg Cox of Cathedral Prep. The Central is looking for 1 Defensemen and 1 Forwards round out their roster and if you are interested, please contact Jeff Mauro at Jeffmauro@aol.com or Greg Cox cox@velocity.net  for details.

Central Region – Bantam 14 U Players

If you are a Midget 14 U Player (2004 or 2005), there is an opportunity to play for Jason DeTesta of Greensburg Salem. The Central is looking for 1 Forward to round out their roster and if you are interested, please contact Jeff Mauro at Jeffmauro@aol.com or Jason DeTesta coachdetesta@yahoo.com  for details.

Not really sad day .....the goal is to field three lines and a competitive team at all levels, which is good for all of the teams involved. This is why we promote the West Region and Central Region in the post above.   

Edited by Pa Hockey

13 hours ago, sadday4hockey said:

Please reference your own post above from July 4th in which your goal is to reach 19 players on each of these teams. That is more than 3 lines.

Not sure why you have a problem with the KSG, but I think it is a fun hockey event for players looking for some competitive (yes, it's competitive) summer hockey.  If just a few top western PA players would join each West or Central team, they would be able to give the East a fight.  As it sits now the East has been very tough in the male hockey bracket, partially because the games are basically held in their area (which will be changing).

I wish a few more top players would join and play in these games.

The West's 19 female team is going for a 3-peat this August - and that's because they have a good solid core of girls and they come back each year.

Good luck to the area players playing in the KSG!

• Like 1

Thanks Paul .................Let's hope the games come West and you will see the tables turn. The last time they were in Johnstown and Indiana was in 2001 and IMO they have been in the East way too long. It needs to rotate venues every two years and this will get people interested. Good Luck to ALL of the teams ! 

My son played last year, and this what we took away from it. 3 game tournament is just dumb. Should be at least 4 games. The top 2 should play in a championship game then have a bronze medal game. 

That being said, he would have played again this year if we weren't on vacation. 

21 hours ago, Seejay784 said:

3 game tournament is just dumb. Should be at least 4 games. The top 2 should play in a championship game then have a bronze medal game. 

I 100% agree with this part of your post.  That way it's 4 games for everyone...

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:16 AM, sadday4hockey said:

The event is mediocre at best and for a 3 games over 3 days event with what I believe are 12 minute periods for all age groups, how would you describe the desire to have 19 skaters?

In my opinion, it's the QUALITY that's more important than the quantity.  A team with 20 "good" players, could be beat by a team with a few superstars and the rest "average".  I will take quality over quantity...

As a part of the KSG Committee I can tell you that we have explored the possibility of 4 games and its a function of scheduling. I agree that there may be more value in 4 games for everyone but would a consolation game for 3rd place be more value? 

I like the current format because you face everyone once and everyone knows if you win all three games, you are a deserved Gold Medalist. 

Thanks to all who joined and Central ended up with 19 Pee Wee + 15 Bantam + 15 16 U Midget + 18 18 U Midget + 14 19 U Junior Female and hopefully will be competitive at all levels. Look forward to next year hopefully in Western Pa !

Correction for Sad Day (do some research) - 17 Minute Periods for 18 U and 16 U and 15 Minute Periods for 14 U + 12 U + 19-U Junior Female 

Edited by Pa Hockey

5 hours ago, Pa Hockey said:

As a part of the KSG Committee I can tell you that we have explored the possibility of 4 games and its a function of scheduling. I agree that there may be more value in 4 games for everyone but would a consolation game for 3rd place be more value? 

I like the current format because you face everyone once and everyone knows if you win all three games, you are a deserved Gold Medalist. 

Thanks to all who joined and Central ended up with 19 Pee Wee + 15 Bantam + 15 16 U Midget + 18 18 U Midget + 14 19 U Junior Female and hopefully will be competitive at all levels. Look forward to next year hopefully in Western Pa !

Correction for Sad Day (do some research) - 17 Minute Periods for 18 U and 16 U and 15 Minute Periods for 14 U + 12 U + 19-U Junior Female 

I think by playing at a rink with more than one sheet, it would be an easier sell (for the players and parents) to do 4 games.  I think a championship game and 3rd/4th place game would be beneficial.  My big issue with the hockey games as they are now, is that they are so gapped out, it's way too much down time.  One game a day, F-S-S leaves too much open time when compared to a normal tourney.

On the other hand if you do:

Friday: mid day and evening game (2 total)

Saturday: 1 game preferably in then morning and then have the whole afternoon off

(note, or do vice versa, 1 Friday and 2 Saturday).

Sunday: champ game or 3rd/4th game.

I know strictly looking at it from a game standpoint, it's a harder sell for 3 games versus 4 games (which is pretty much your average tourney).

Secondly, the way it is now, if your team plays lousy in one game, you're toast.  If you have a champ game, that give a team that may have lost 1 game a shot at a rematch.

York is an incredibly horrible venue for a tournament, one of the worst I've ever been to, and I won't go back by choice. That eliminated my interest right there. As already said, one sheet of ice makes for a rough go to hold a tourney. So many rinks around there....

Consolation games stink. Older kids don't want to stick around for those. The most lack luster games I've seen played are when neither team cares.

4 hours ago, Saucey said:

York is an incredibly horrible venue for a tournament, one of the worst I've ever been to, and I won't go back by choice. That eliminated my interest right there. As already said, one sheet of ice makes for a rough go to hold a tourney. So many rinks around there....

I will fully agree with the above, and not to mention it's in a lousy part of town and not easy to get to.  There are a ton of rinks around.  I really hope it will be moved out West.

• Like 1