PHA Icemen U16

1 hour ago, Chinstrap said:

Was there for playoffs last year. Has come a long way no matter what you call it.

I will agree.  I haven't been there in a year, but hopefully the bathrooms have been overhauled and the road into the whole complex has been fixed.  All I remember is a literal minefield between Route 8 and the rink itself.  Giant car swallowing pot holes... yikes.

Basic, necessary improvements. Certainly not huge improvements. My understanding is that most of the remaining HS teams can't wait until their contracts expire so they can bolt. BV has been shaken down to what, half of what it was before the purchase? Pretty soon they'll have exactly what they wanted which is a rink all for themselves. Just the two of them. Take it away, Grover Washington..................

"Basic, necessary improvements. Certainly not huge improvements. My understanding is that most of the remaining HS teams can't wait until their contracts expire so they can bolt. BV has been shaken down to what, half of what it was before the purchase? Pretty soon they'll have exactly what they wanted which is a rink all for themselves. Just the two of them. Take it away, Grover Washington.................."

HS teams wanting to bolt........bolt to where?  Where are they going to find ice time?  Baierl?  No way.  UPMC?  If they want 6am practice slots I am sure those are available.  Neville?  Nada.  

• Like 1

Road paved, new bathrooms, new locker rooms, new ice surface, new boards, good food at the concession, water purifier, just basic improvements. It's a good thing that there is so much ice around, these high school teams have so many options.

• Like 2

Personally the pha program in terms of hockey & hockey development is awful. I do give those guys credit for fixing that rink up, western pa does not need anymore closing rinks. Pihl has not recovered from airport getting closed. We could use another sheet or two In western pa, the problem is, it’s not very profitable. The island would be gone if rmu didn’t buy it. 

Edited by whome87
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, whome87 said:

Personally the pha program in terms of hockey & hockey development is awful. I do give those guys credit for fixing that rink up, western pa does not need anymore closing rinks. Pihl has not recovered from airport getting closed. We could use another sheet or two In western pa, the problem is, it’s not very profitable. The island would be gone if rmu didn’t buy it. 

"Western PA does not need anymore closing rinks."

Exactly right.

Quoting dazed and confused   aka "rumormill"   

"Basic, necessary improvements. Certainly not huge improvements. My understanding is that most of the remaining HS teams can't wait until their contracts expire so they can bolt. BV has been shaken down to what, half of what it was before the purchase? Pretty soon they'll have exactly what they wanted which is a rink all for themselves. Just the two of them. Take it away, Grover Washington.................. "

Besides you just being bitter because the the new owners all but threw you out of the rink and would not bow to your self-serving wishes.  They didn't care you are the Pahl president.  No special treatment for you, and you just could not handle that.    As to BV being shaken down.  Absurd.  Maybe the reason BV numbers were down is the fact that most all the board members were from the one special 04 team and that was the only team that mattered ?  Isn't this the same board the Pahl president's wife sits on?  Also, maybe the numbers were down because that same board was in control of tryouts and cut kids that were much more advanced than their own kids.  Ask the past BV president, if he is honest he will admit that.  Ask, BV's skating coach Levi, if shenanigans didn't occur and kids were forced out.   Good kids.  This KILLS an organization.  Especially an organization that has struggled to attract talent and field any high level teams.

FACTS

Here's some facts, instead of all the negative false posts dazedandconfused constantly prints on this site,   BV's new board is interested in all their teams, just not one.  As such, BV will continue to improve and grow.  With the new board focused on growth and their ADM , numbers will increase.  With BV hiring a goalie coach and outside instructors, BV numbers will grow.  With no ulterior motives, BV will continue to grow. 

FACTS

We need all the ice we can get in Western Pa and for anyone to try and belittle anyone for trying to accomplish that is small minded.  Ice is at a premium.   School teams (high, jv, and middle) are lined up to play at the Frozen Pond. In fact, so much that there is a waiting list for ice to open up.  It's a shame that  self-absorbed adults try ruining it for so many kids.  Good luck to you and your embarrassing negativity Mr. dazedandconfused.  You truly express the spirit of Semper I.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:51 PM, Hockey4all said:

Quoting dazed and confused   aka "rumormill"   

"Basic, necessary improvements. Certainly not huge improvements. My understanding is that most of the remaining HS teams can't wait until their contracts expire so they can bolt. BV has been shaken down to what, half of what it was before the purchase? Pretty soon they'll have exactly what they wanted which is a rink all for themselves. Just the two of them. Take it away, Grover Washington.................. "

Besides you just being bitter because the the new owners all but threw you out of the rink and would not bow to your self-serving wishes.  They didn't care you are the Pahl president.  No special treatment for you, and you just could not handle that.    As to BV being shaken down.  Absurd.  Maybe the reason BV numbers were down is the fact that most all the board members were from the one special 04 team and that was the only team that mattered ?  Isn't this the same board the Pahl president's wife sits on?  Also, maybe the numbers were down because that same board was in control of tryouts and cut kids that were much more advanced than their own kids.  Ask the past BV president, if he is honest he will admit that.  Ask, BV's skating coach Levi, if shenanigans didn't occur and kids were forced out.   Good kids.  This KILLS an organization.  Especially an organization that has struggled to attract talent and field any high level teams.

FACTS

Here's some facts, instead of all the negative false posts dazedandconfused constantly prints on this site,   BV's new board is interested in all their teams, just not one.  As such, BV will continue to improve and grow.  With the new board focused on growth and their ADM , numbers will increase.  With BV hiring a goalie coach and outside instructors, BV numbers will grow.  With no ulterior motives, BV will continue to grow. 

FACTS

We need all the ice we can get in Western Pa and for anyone to try and belittle anyone for trying to accomplish that is small minded.  Ice is at a premium.   School teams (high, jv, and middle) are lined up to play at the Frozen Pond. In fact, so much that there is a waiting list for ice to open up.  It's a shame that  self-absorbed adults try ruining it for so many kids.  Good luck to you and your embarrassing negativity Mr. dazedandconfused.  You truly express the spirit of Semper I.

Didn't BV's "NEW" board run tryouts this season? I'm glad you didn't put hat under the FACTS paragraph. You talk about posting negative and false posts,your kid must have been the one that didn't make the "Mite Elite Team"! 

• Like 1

Quoting rtruth

"Didn't BV's "NEW" board run tryouts this season? I'm glad you didn't put hat under the FACTS paragraph. You talk about posting negative and false posts,your kid must have been the one that didn't make the "Mite Elite Team"!  "

I'm sure you know this but, here it is for everyone else. I was referring to previous years tryouts.  BV's "NEW" board did not run tryouts this year. They had an outside group of individuals (PHA ran tryouts ) so as to end the long-standing BV tradition of hand selecting  a certain team, ie the 04 team.  Another fact, this group of parents was so upset about there actually being fair tryouts that they asked the rink ownership if they could just put their team together .... a clear violation of USA Hockey rules (closed tryouts) .... you would think the Pahl president would know better.  Once again, please feel free to confirm this with the rink management.   More facts,  I never had a kid play or tryout for any BV team, so there goes that "sour parent" tune you are trying to play. I did have a kid play for Fritz several years ago.  Besides his over the top ego, he's not a bad guy.  Speaking of sour parents,  based on your very few posts, you seem to know a lot about the 04 BV team.  Now, your post makes perfect sense.     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockey4all said:

Quoting rtruth

"Didn't BV's "NEW" board run tryouts this season? I'm glad you didn't put hat under the FACTS paragraph. You talk about posting negative and false posts,your kid must have been the one that didn't make the "Mite Elite Team"!  "

I'm sure you know this but, here it is for everyone else. I was referring to previous years tryouts.  BV's "NEW" board did not run tryouts this year. They had an outside group of individuals (PHA ran tryouts ) so as to end the long-standing BV tradition of hand selecting  a certain team, ie the 04 team.  Another fact, this group of parents was so upset about there actually being fair tryouts that they asked the rink ownership if they could just put their team together .... a clear violation of USA Hockey rules (closed tryouts) .... you would think the Pahl president would know better.  Once again, please feel free to confirm this with the rink management.   More facts,  I never had a kid play or tryout for any BV team, so there goes that "sour parent" tune you are trying to play. I did have a kid play for Fritz several years ago.  Besides his over the top ego, he's not a bad guy.  Speaking of sour parents,  based on your very few posts, you seem to know a lot about the 04 BV team.  Now, your post makes perfect sense.     

You gotta love the “you’re pissed off because your kid got cut” response..........

@Hockey4all I know most of what you posted is in fact, true.  

• 8 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 3:19 PM, Hockey4all said:

Quoting rtruth

end of year for the 04s. awful year. Thousands of dollars.  a few kids quit with a few weeks left. parents have zero communication with the coach. one goalie was blamed for losses. great results. 

36 minutes ago, hockey55 said:

end of year for the 04s. awful year. Thousands of dollars.  a few kids quit with a few weeks left. parents have zero communication with the coach. one goalie was blamed for losses. great results. 

How many will they try to sue this year is the big question. Will it top last year ? 

11 hours ago, Jack Handey said:

who's suing who?

They sued 3-4 players last year who quit for full season fees. I know one of them. He never played a game with them, yet these clowns tried to sue his family for full season fees and lost. 

9 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

They sued 3-4 players last year who quit for full season fees. I know one of them. He never played a game with them, yet these clowns tried to sue his family for full season fees and lost. 

Who sued them? DW who owns the Frozen Pond???!!

54 minutes ago, Danner27 said:

I may get bashed for this, but...what are we teaching our kids if we show it is OK to commit to a team, 15+ other individuals, and then quit for what you think may be the next best thing, leaving your team of 15+ others, hence hurting those 15+ others...with no consequences? If teams just let everyone quit with no consequences hockey in Western PA would be more of a mess than it already is.

I like that it's teaching our kids responsibility, respect, and everything else you all complain about them not having on this board.

Hockey and sports in general is not just about playing, it's also about molding our kids into ones who can contribute to society in a positive way for the future....

But let's all go back to talking about how we (not even our kids) were all wronged and how our kid is the next Crosby. 

Part of the problem is allowing kids to play at a reduced rate the first year to get the kid on the team.  I'm not saying this is a frozen pond issue but it has been at other rinks.  Coaches give special kids special pricing.  Word gets out eventually.