USA Hockey rule - Banging the boards?

This was forwarded to me over the weekend as a new rule for 2019-20 for USA Hockey

(b) A bench minor penalty shall be assessed to any team who’s players or team officials commit the following actions while on the player’s bench:

5. Banging the boards with a stick or other object at anytime.

Here is the link to the full rule:

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084645-rule-601-abuse-of-officials-and-other-misconduct

Is this a new rule and if so, it states that a player cannot bang the boards at anytime.  So, if a player is injured, and is then taken off the ice, and the opposing team taps the boards with their stick, will they be assessed a penalty?  I am not sure I understand this rule.

Pretty sure its implying a player who slams his stick off the boards in anger over a call or something. I highly doubt a stick tap on the boards over an injured player would be taken as a bench minor.

Edited by forbin

Ok, but that's not what it says.  It says "Banging the boards with a stick or other object at anytime"

I get what you are saying.  You think it applies to someone who strikes the boards or glass in anger.

Now, take a look at this link:

https://www.mihockey.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Declaration-of-Safety-Fair-Play-and-Respect1.pdf

Edited by Eddie Shore

53 minutes ago, forbin said:

Pretty sure its implying a player who slams his stick off the boards in anger over a call or something. I highly doubt a stick tap on the boards over an injured player would be taken as a bench minor.

It's not. It's in regard to excessive celebration of hits that leads to escalation of tempers, trash talk and trying to see who can blow up an opposing player harder than the other team.

Sadday and dropthepuck.  I agree on both.  This is where I was going with the question.

The goalie makes a great save during a shootout, everyone bangs the boards.  Ref blows the whistle and assess a penalty.  He didn't call it a penalty during the game, now during the shootout it is one.  The last thing we need is the refs to have more input on the outcome of a game.

Yeah actually I'd say if this rule was directed at players angry at calls slamming their sticks it would be focused on all players including those on the ice and not just those on the bench. This just seems like a really poorly worded rule that is going to cause a lot of problems even when teams are cheering positively for their teammates. 

It’s more pc bs. Let the kids have fun. I’ve seen a game when a team was down 3 in the third the losing teams d made a huge clean hit the kids got fired up banging the boards and tied the game in 5 minutes. That hit and bench celebration changed the momentum of the game!!!

What about after the National Anthem?  Right after the anthem, players usually bang their sticks to cheer.  That would be an interesting one!  A team gets a penalty for banging the boards after the anthem and gets a penalty due to a USA Hockey rule.  How ironic would that be!

16 hours ago, Interestedbystandr said:

The officials have always had and often exercised the right to hand out misconducts for kids aggressively hitting the boards in tantrum mode. This banging on the boards under any circumstance is just annoying

So, the banging of the boards after the playing of the National Anthem, and when an injured player is helped off the ice is annoying?

19 hours ago, Interestedbystandr said:

The officials have always had and often exercised the right to hand out misconducts for kids aggressively hitting the boards in tantrum mode. This banging on the boards under any circumstance is just 

Get off my lawn

Edited by beans

It is not a new rule.  It has been in the rule book for quite some time.  It is under the Abuse of Officials Rule 601. 

It is meant to be applied to misconduct towards the officials and that is how it is taught to the officials.  Can an official misapply it, sure.  Just like they can misapply any of the rules.

Edited by carroll81
typo

Don't think it's about misconduct or abuse of Officials.  Below is a link to the video from Pat Kelleher, where he explains it toward the end.  It is geared towards when players on the bench cheer on a teammate for making a body check (even if it is a legal body check per the Declaration of Safety Fair Play and Respect).  They have deemed it "disrespectful" to bang on the boards to applaud this going forward.

This is the exact wording from the declaration:

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT  A bench minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be assessed to any team whose players or team officials  commit the following actions while on the players’ bench:  (5) Banging the boards with a stick or other object, including skates or arms, at any time, including after a body check regardless as to whether the check is being penalized. 

Edited by Eddie Shore

Eddie,   you are ahead of the curve again.  That is a new emphasis, just added at the Congress a couple weeks ago.  

My guess is that we will see it added as a situation in the next rulebook in 2021.

Is there really that much banging the boards to celebrate aggressive fouls?

Word I got was that it will be a rule at the start of the 2019 season.  My guess is some butt-hurt parents complained to USA Hockey about how little Johnny got so upset when he got laid out while dangling with his head down and all the mean kids on the other team celebrated by banging on the boards.  So, instead of telling him to keep his head up, we will just create this new declaration, which is all about eliminating physical play in the new "modern game".  I would love to know what USA Hockey views as the new "modern game" of hockey.  My guess is the goal is to create more Conner McDavids, Austin Matthews and Nikita Kucherovs.  Gone will be the Scotty Stevens, Brooks Orpiks, Tom Wilsons and Ryan Reeves (although I always hated Reeves).

• 2 months later...

I’m betting that a lot of teams had games last weekend and most will play this weekend or next.  Has anyone encountered any issues with the stick banging rule yet?  My sons team played two. There was bunches of stick banging.  No penalties, no warnings!  None of the banging was in a derogatory manner.  Although, there could have been some after a few big hits.  Not sure!  Either way, no issues so far with the new rule.

had a game last weekend. there was a big hit, kids kicked th boards, no penalty, no talk from the refs that i saw, but after that there was no more of it from our bench the rest of the game, not sure if coaches snuffed it out, or refs said something and i didn't notice it. after that though the game felt different, expected the usual sounds after a hit or goal but it wasn't present.. sucked actually.. 

• Like 2

My biggest concern will be an inconsistent application of the rule.  Teams will play numerous games with certain refs ignoring the rule, then during some playoff or tournament championship game, the rule will rear it's ugly head at the worst possible time, and the refs will become the focus of the game, not the players.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1