USA Hockey rule - Banging the boards?

2 hours ago, Eddie Shore said:

My biggest concern will be an inconsistent application of the rule.  Teams will play numerous games with certain refs ignoring the rule, then during some playoff or tournament championship game, the rule will rear it's ugly head at the worst possible time, and the refs will become the focus of the game, not the players.

BINGO

On 9/1/2019 at 9:25 PM, Bob Loblaw said:

The refs have been consistent in calling roughing on any checks where the hitter isn't going for the puck in the two scrimmages I have watched so far. They warned the boys about banging the boards, but didn't call it.

Ditto about the roughing call. I haven't seen any action at all on the banging to boards issue, but they're definitely calling the roughing thing, at least in my area.

• 1 year later...

USAH official here, the intent of the rule is to prevent people from cheering when a "big hit" is delivered, goals, injuries, and whatnot are still fine, and yes, there is a warning about a penalty before it is given.

Sorry for a late response, I didn't know about this forums existance.

14 hours ago, Not Gam said:

USAH official here, the intent of the rule is to prevent people from cheering when a "big hit" is delivered, goals, injuries, and whatnot are still fine, and yes, there is a warning about a penalty before it is given.

Sorry for a late response, I didn't know about this forums existance.

Welcome! Turned out not to mean too much as it did not seem to be applied very often. 

• 100 1